Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #741
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I’ve just seen multiple posts by you lamenting a player whose been world class for close to a decade now, you saying they shouldn’t of taken him to the World Cup is absurd. If you thought that you did not make it known before the World Cup.
And normally I wouldnt have thought it. Theres definitely some hindsight involved in that opinion.

He was in poor form, but German internationals have a long history of performing poorly for their Clubs and then lighting it up on International Duty, so that really swayed my opinion prior to the World Cup, and even then, he has such a rich history with the German National team that he was unlikely to be dropped.

He and Kroos are just not a good partnership because while the creativity is off the charts nobody protects the back 4 or wins the ball back.

Further to which, I didnt really think the whole 'Erdogan' scenario was as big a deal as it eventually turned out to be and who knows, maybe this whole thing will blow over. There should probably be some changes in the German DFB Hierarchy and maybe some time off will allow cooler heads to prevail.

You'll note Ozil never used the term 'retirement' and even if he had he could always change his mind. He is only 29 and he doesnt overly exert himself so he could still play in the Euros or even the next WC if his form picks up or nobody steals his spot on the team.

My only point is that everyone is pointing at the German FA here as 100% responsible in conjunction with systemic racism and, as devo eloquently pointed out, that is incorrect, they're not angels in all of this but Ozil himself is hardly blameless as some in this thread are asserting.

And finally, it makes me wonder what was in it for Ozil. Was it just Turkish National Pride? At least Gundogan came up with a half-hearted excuse regarding permits for construction projects, Ozil didnt even have that, so what was his incentive? He says 'to respect the Office' which is about as close to meaningless as it gets.

I dont know why you always get so combative, I'm not cutting anyone down here, just trying to understand the nuances of the scenario, and we disagree on a few points. You're not an Arsenal fan that I'm aware of, and even if you were it wouldnt make enough sense to rush to his defence.

I'll admit that I sorely misunderstood the degree of racism that Ozil endured while playing for Germany because its never really come to the forefront as it has now.

I've found that Ozil has been highly valued and highly respected during his entire German and Club tenure, hes incredibly talented, but hes not perfect.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #742
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Mandzukic just retired from Croatian International Duty.

Its a shame he couldnt go out a winner but he put on a hell of a World Cup performance.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #743
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting news about rising Man U midfielder Andreas Pereira, he’s eligible to play for Brazil or Belgium as he was born in Belgium but of Brazilian heritage and has represented both at youth level. He’s only had one premier league start for Man U and has been used in an attacking role his last few years out on loan but is now thriving as a deep lying playmaker. Belgium are reportedly going to try and call him up for their friendlies as he has openly said he would prefer Brazil but would play for Belgium. The question will be how long he is willing to wait for Brazil to call. Brazil have lost some great talents recently to other nations, Diego Costa, Pepe, Rodrigo, Thiago, Jorginho, it would be very annoying to lose another player when all they have to do is cap him. I for one have been a big fan of Pereira since I saw him play in the U-20 World Cup and I think he could become a jewel of a midfielder. Brazil’s call ups tomorrow should be very interesting, a lot of reports saying many of the old guard will not be in the selection for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Beninho; 08-16-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #744
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Brazil call up Pereira to avoid losing him to Belgium.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #745
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

oh oh

Son came on at 57 but they could only pull one back.

Korea will still make the knockout round so this may not matter. Will probably have to face Iran or Saudi Arabia in the 16s now.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #746
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ how strict are they regarding the military service in Korea? Would they really rob a guy like Son of his prime years?

I mean, I really fail to see why an international top athlete wouldn't be allowed to do his service after retirement.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #747
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
^ how strict are they regarding the military service in Korea? Would they really rob a guy like Son of his prime years?

I mean, I really fail to see why an international top athlete wouldn't be allowed to do his service after retirement.
They are extremely strict. I think if you polled Korea people, they wouldn't even agree to the rules set right now for athletes. The government set a precedent exempting the 2002 Korean World Cup team and put itself in a corner.

non sports-related, you should see the debate going on about the band BTS.

https://www.soompi.com/article/12056...tary-exemption

PSY had to go TWICE because he performed too much during his first stint.

Quote:
According to Korea’s military service law, those with special abilities in the fields of the arts or athletics train for four weeks in basic military training centers with other recruits, but spend 2 years and 10 months as public service workers in their respective fields, rather than as active soldiers. This is described as being for both cultural development and the enhancement of national prestige.

Among artists who have come in second place or higher in international competitions chosen by the Military Affairs Director, the two artists with the highest grades are included on the exemption list. For those with no international competition for their field, the artist with the highest grade among those who have received first place in domestic competitions receives the exemption.

Athletes who win bronze or higher in the Olympics or come in first in the Asian Games are also eligible for this special exemption.

While this might be a hot topic among K-pop fans, it is important to remember that the debate is not specifically about K-pop but about who and what qualifies for exemptions in all fields. Do the current conscription law and exemption criteria accurately represent the skills, aspirations, and needs of modern Korean society? Olympians receive exemptions because they compete in an internationally recognized system with over a hundred years of history. But is it possible to define achievements based on a platform that is barely decades old and has constantly changing algorithms like YouTube, for example? Is eSports not a sport?

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2018, 05:04 AM   #748
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
And Brazil call up Pereira to avoid losing him to Belgium.
apparently he's the first foreign-born player to be called up by Brazil in over 100 years and only the fourth ever. That's quite incredible.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #749
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
apparently he's the first foreign-born player to be called up by Brazil in over 100 years and only the fourth ever. That's quite incredible.
Ya, usually it’s the other way around.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #750
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Korea in tough now. They finished 2nd place in Group E and will have to face Group F winners Iran in the 16s and even if they get past them, the favorites Uzbekistan are probably looming in the quarters.

They messed up that Malaysian game. They would have faced an easier Japan (using their u21 team in preparation for Tokyo 2020) and a much easier side of the draw.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #751
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I don't know much about a lot of those teams, but surely S Korea is a favourite in that tournament? I guess Iran could be tough, but most of those countries seem like they're more on the level of Canada?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #752
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
^ I don't know much about a lot of those teams, but surely S Korea is a favourite in that tournament? I guess Iran could be tough, but most of those countries seem like they're more on the level of Canada?
Like the Olympics, it's an under-23 tournament with 3 overaged players. Back in January there a true Asian under-23 tournament. Uzbekistan won it. They crushed Korea 4-0 in the semis. Vietnam finished 2nd. So far in this tournament China have scored 11 goals, Uzbekistan 10 while Vietnam have not given up a goal.

With Son, that might make the difference for Korea going forward. He scored today.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #753
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Korea beat Iran 2-0 and are through to the quarterfinals. Uzbekistan next.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #754
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

that'll be a tough match against Uzbekistan. probably the de facto final

Old 08-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #755
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its about time those layabout Uzbeks started pulling their weight!

Old 08-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #756
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Korea beat Uzbekistan 4-3 in extra time. The Uzbeks fell apart receiving a red card at 100' and giving up a penalty at 117'

Old 08-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #757
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Korea beat Uzbekistan 4-3 in extra time. The Uzbeks fell apart receiving a red card at 100' and giving up a penalty at 117'
Just watched the highlights, so intense, the koreans couldnt even watch during the pen

Hoping for syria next, ive read that vietnam would be the next strongest team

People saying japan would be best for the final? They brought the u21s?

You seem to know the teams well what do you think

Also if it ends up being SK vs NK is that a big deal? Or less so because its u23s
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #758
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Just watched the highlights, so intense, the koreans couldnt even watch during the pen

Hoping for syria next, ive read that vietnam would be the next strongest team

People saying japan would be best for the final? They brought the u21s?

You seem to know the teams well what do you think

Also if it ends up being SK vs NK is that a big deal? Or less so because its u23s
Both games in extra time now.

Japan sent its u21 team to prepare for Tokyo 2020.

SK vs NK is not a big deal. There is no tension in sports.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #759
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jamie Vardy and Gary Cahill retire from England.

Quote:
Jamie Vardy and Gary Cahill are both set to call time on their international careers after informing England manager Gareth Southgate that they want to focus on club football.

Leicester striker Vardy and Chelsea defender Cahill have both been regulars in Southgate's squads since he was appointed in November 2016.

While neither have completely "shut the door" and would be willing to play under exceptional circumstances, it is likely that both made their final international appearances at the 2018 World Cup.
http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...m-england-duty

Old 08-29-2018, 07:53 AM   #760
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Korea is in the final after beating Vietnam 3-1. Gold should be theirs now after going through that tough bracket.