Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #501
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
it is very frustrating during evaluations to watch the "rico fata" types move up and sometimes the kids who have more general hockey IQ move down because they don't look flashy when skating.
haha on man have I seen that before
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #502
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Northenndzone - that's what it comes down to for my kid. He's got a terrific sense of where he needs to be on the ice. You can be the greatest skater on the planet, but if you don't know where to be....

Update: The kid's hard work paid off. He avoided the bottom two teams, got on a team with a bunch of his friends. Should be a good year!
Sadly the exact opposite happened to my kid. Work his butt off, great hockey IQ but not the flashest skater. He is the only kid from his team last year to NOT move up. There are several players that moved up that are great skaters up and down the ice, but give them a puck they are lost. Oh well such is life.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #503
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking the other day that other than my sons first year of hockey (novice) where I had no real expectation as it was his first year playing, this has been the only year where I was not disappointed with respect to what team he was placed on.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #504
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Sadly the exact opposite happened to my kid. Work his butt off, great hockey IQ but not the flashest skater. He is the only kid from his team last year to NOT move up. There are several players that moved up that are great skaters up and down the ice, but give them a puck they are lost. Oh well such is life.
I think the coaches and evaluators see kids with athletic ability and think they can teach the rest. Effort though, seems to be one of the big things that separates elite kids and rec kids.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #505
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Lazy coaching.

Granted I have never coached at AA or AAA level, but I have plenty of good friends that have. I know plenty of coaches that roll lines. In the words of one of them "if they are good enough to be on the team the are good enough to play in all situations".
Yes this is exactly right. “Riding players” is old school and is neither a long term winning strategy nor, more importantly, a proper approach to development. I would never argue that all ice time needs to be equal but some coaches approach to travel or quadrant hockey is unfortunate.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #506
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yes this is exactly right. “Riding players” is old school and is neither a long term winning strategy nor, more importantly, a proper approach to development. I would never argue that all ice time needs to be equal but some coaches approach to travel or quadrant hockey is unfortunate.
With the speed of the game at the elite levels, teams won’t be able to keep up physically if they aren’t rolling three lines.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #507
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Macs AAA tournament has suspended the female division due to trouble attracting teams. Unfortunate but with the change to AAA hockey in Alberta a few years ago, the timing of the tournament (over the Christmas break) and I think the nature of female elite hockey at the midget level (they tend to do more showcase tournaments than the boys do) it was getting pretty tough to attract enough good quality teams.

Hopefully this is just temporary, it's tough to see if you are a supporter of elite female hockey or even a supported or hockey at the elite level in general.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #508
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was out of town for the initial part of the tourney and completely forgot it was even on (it's amazing what you forget about when your kids are no longer involved in whatever activities they were doing).

The Mac Midget AAA tournament was won by St Albert this year, defeating Lethbridge in the final game.

The female division was not held this year due to lack of teams, hopefully they will be able to build it back to the point where it can be included again.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #509
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes, the final was last night. Was not the greatest game by Lethbridge. St. Alberta just had more juice in the tank for the 3rd. The goalie for St. Alberta played well but I was really impressed by their shot blocking. Oh well, redemption hopefully upcoming for Lethbridge in playoffs
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #510
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What are people thinking about the Ryan Symth league? I believe it is separating out the top kids into a different program a couple years younger then the traditional AA / AAA system has started grouping the top players together.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5033314?fbc...lXAJSsDCy5U74A
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #511
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
What are people thinking about the Ryan Symth league? I believe it is separating out the top kids into a different program a couple years younger then the traditional AA / AAA system has started grouping the top players together.

I posted this in the 'Minor Hockey' thread as well, there is a bit of a discussion going on there. Kind of a cross between Minor Hockey and Elite Hockey so I wasn't sure which thread was more appropriate.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #512
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post

So I've been thinking some more about this and pondering how it will play out in a few years and where something like this might fit into the overall hockey landscape. On the surface it looks like parents are trying this option due to dis-satisfaction with the traditional hockey model. Whether it be times/locations of ice, team formation, perceived weakness of the programs, lack of choice in where to play, skill developement etc. In other words parents want to customize hockey for their kids as much as possible. A few things stand out here for me.

The skill development angle to me is interesting because Hockey Canada has also been overhauling the traditional model for the very same reason. Lack of skill development at an early age has been identified as one of the reasons Canada's dominance on the world stage of hockey is diminishing and they have begun changing things up in order to reverse this. For parents to remove their kids from the Hockey Canada stream indicates perhaps that these parents do not agree with the changes or feel the changes are still not sufficient.

Longer term I see this league has plans to grow into older groups which I suppose is a natural progression. I do wonder at some point however if there will be a natural tie in between this league and the various sports schools that have sprung up over the past few years. It seems almost like a natural progression to move from this league into a sports school as the kids get older as both streams are sort of outside the traditional development stream. Given this new league is taking more 'skilled' players and the sports schools also have become quite successful in drawing skilled players maybe there is a natural progression from one to the other. Evidence of the success of sports schools (or maybe evidence of lack of success of the traditional model) is the fact that in each of the past two years more players are drafted into the WHL from sports schools than the current Elite stream (13/20 in each of the past two years).

The end result might be we end up with two separate and distinct hockey systems in Alberta.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where this all goes. Given the price point it is never going to be an option for everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #513
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quick update to Midget Elite hockey:

Male:
St Albert vs. Calgary Buffaloes for the league/provincial championship and the right to continue on in the quest for the Telus Cup. Should be a good series. Both semi finals went the full 5 games so there are some pretty evenly matched teams in the province at the high end (good to see)

Female:
league/provincial tournament is this coming weekend. Playoffs eliminated two teams already leaving Red Deer, St Albert, Calgary, and Lloydminster. Winner moves on to teh next stage of qualifying for the Esso Cup. St Albert looking for the three-peat.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #514
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

hockey canada can make all the changes they want - the real question is are the associations following this and telling the coaches these are the skills you need to practice and are the coaches following that.

over the time i coached my son, i changed my thinking and felt individual skills was way more important than teaching systems/breakouts etc. as there is no sense teaching that stuff, if kids can't make a 5 foot pass
Old 03-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #515
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
hockey canada can make all the changes they want - the real question is are the associations following this and telling the coaches these are the skills you need to practice and are the coaches following that.

over the time i coached my son, i changed my thinking and felt individual skills was way more important than teaching systems/breakouts etc. as there is no sense teaching that stuff, if kids can't make a 5 foot pass
I agree, and also changed my thinking over time.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #516
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

nm

Last edited by troutman; 03-18-2019 at 03:09 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #517
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

St Albert Slash took the Provincial title in Female MAAA over the weekend for the third straight year. They play the BC champion for the right to go to the Esso Cup and defend their national title.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:16 PM   #518
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

sounds like the first two games of the boy midget AAA games have been tight with the buffs winning game 1 with an overtime penalty shot and then winning again in overtime on the weekend
Old 03-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #519
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
sounds like the first two games of the boy midget AAA games have been tight with the buffs winning game 1 with an overtime penalty shot and then winning again in overtime on the weekend
2OT according to the league website. Looks like a good series.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #520
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Bufs won the AMHL (Male MAAA) and Provincial title and now move on to play the BC winner in the Pacific regional this weekend. It's a best three.

St Alberta Slash (FAAA) will play Greater Vancouver this weekend in their Pacific Regional best of three. Vancouver went undefeated in league play this year.

Winners of each series advance to the national championships (Telus and Esso Cups respectively).

Good luck to both Alberta teams.