Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #1361
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I think Canada can win the losers tournament if they get their crap together. It actually might be easier than getting 4th in the Hex.

I find it amusing the 5th and 6th in the Hex is SOL.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #1362
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
They're using the fifa rankings as the qualifying criteria. So friendlies count now.
That's my point. How are teams supposed to develop players and whatnot when every friendly becomes a "must-win" game? It ruins the spirit of friendlies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think Canada can win the losers tournament if they get their crap together. It actually might be easier than getting 4th in the Hex.

I find it amusing the 5th and 6th in the Hex is SOL.
Good point. Really shows how bad of an idea this system is.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #1363
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
That's my point. How are teams supposed to develop players and whatnot when every friendly becomes a "must-win" game? It ruins the spirit of friendlies.

Good point. Really shows how bad of an idea this system is.
Questionable system or not, the CSA has bothered to organize exactly one friendly in the past 20 months, vs New Zealand, 2 months after Herdman got hired.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #1364
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guessing no one here knew about the game last night. 6-0 win by Canada over Cuba. 3 goals for Hoilett, and David, Osorio and Henry each with 1. The goal by David was absolutely filthy. No game action for Carducci.

Next game is Cuba away in the Cayman Islands Tuesday night.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1170495703266844672

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #1365
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

6-0 was a flattering scoreline for Cuba. It’s so odd to watch a Canadian team that can create and score. I’m still not used to it.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #1366
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Guessing no one here knew about the game last night. 6-0 win by Canada over Cuba. 3 goals for Hoilett, and David, Osorio and Henry each with 1. The goal by David was absolutely filthy. No game action for Carducci.

Next game is Cuba away in the Cayman Islands Tuesday night.
Shots fired! I watched the whole thing but yeah there wasn't really any discussion on here so I had to go to the voyageurs board for that.

Man this team is fun to watch. Jonathan David's goal in particular was a thing of beauty.

Those of you with onesoccer subscriptions (try the free trial if you don't!) can catch the next game and the 2 games vs USA on onesoccer as well!
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #1367
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tough to see us play great and know we have no possibility of qualifying for 2022 with the new qualifying system.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #1368
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Tough to see us play great and know we have no possibility of qualifying for 2022 with the new qualifying system.
Not so fast...

In the 65th minute.

Panama 0 - Bermuda 2

BERMUDA!!!!

Old 09-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #1369
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Bermuda won!!!!!

Canada will move past Panama into 7th with a win Tuesday.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #1370
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

22-5 shot advantage for Panama.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #1371
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

174th ranked Bermuda win 2-0 over Panama. Given that Panama are the 7th ranked team in CONCACAF, and Canada are 8th, I think that just might move Canada ahead of Panama.

Also, if Bermuda can win in Central America, Canada should be able to. No more excuses.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #1372
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Like girly said, that tournament of the rest to play 4th might even be easier

So it's not a death knell
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #1373
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Curacao also beat Haiti yesterday. That should be a wake up call for Canada.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #1374
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a booster of OneSoccer and cut them a lot of slack, but man I wish they would get the replay of their matches up online a lot quicker. I couldn't watch Canada play live, so I figured I'd avoid the score, get the kid in bed, and the replay would be posted a few hours after the match ended.

It was at least 24 hours later that it finally got posted. By then, my social media embargo had loosened somewhat and I saw the score by accident.

Sure, it was a blowout and the highlights were all I needed. But as a PVR timeshifter with my sports, OneSoccer is cramping my style! Hockey on cable - easy with a PVR. DAZN for Premier League - matches go up pretty quickly. But OneSoccer and their 24-hour turnaround for Canada (and CanPL/Cavalry) is proving difficult.

But enough about that - hoping for another decisive win for Canada. Nice to see them not only creating lots of chances, but burying them. Not to look past Cuba, but it will be an interesting measuring stick to see the improvement when they play the Americans later.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #1375
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pardon me for my ignorance, but what does Canada have to do to qualify. As in what rank do they need to be, what teams will they need to beat and when will they play them?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #1376
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Pardon me for my ignorance, but what does Canada have to do to qualify. As in what rank do they need to be, what teams will they need to beat and when will they play them?

Everyone plays a bunch of games, then at the end of qualifying the USA and Mexico go to the World Cup.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #1377
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Everyone plays a bunch of games, then at the end of qualifying the USA and Mexico go to the World Cup.
CroFlames is pretty much right. Concacaf being Concacaf, as per usual.

In a nutshell: In the Concacaf Nations League, finish 1 or 2 in our group with USA and Cuba, and qualify for the 2021 Gold Cup. That's straightforward.

But... Concacaf recently changed the 2022 World Cup Qualifying format, and it is now based on the FIFA ranking of the Concacaf teams. Be in the top 6: a very favourable path to the World Cup (6 teams fight for 3 automatic berths in "the Hex").

If a country is ranked outside of the top 6, there is a long and convoluted path where, eventually, the remaining Concacaf teams ranked 7 to whatever will all fight for 1 berth in the "inter-confederation playoff" where they would then play against runners up from 3 other regions for 2 berths in the World Cup.

So basically, be ranked 7 or lower, you get a chance to play for a 50% chance to qualify. Or in other words: hilariously improbable. It has to be top 6 or just forget about it.

And that's why we suddenly need teams that are above Canada (8th) but catch-able to lose (Honduras, El Salvador, Panama, ranked 5, 6, 7) and also hope that the closest behind don't do well (Curacao and Haiti, ranked 9 and 10). And beating Cuba (26 in Concacaf) doesn't help as much as we'd like, but losing to them would be a big blow.

Here are some helpful links:

Concacaf Nations League on Wikipedia
Concacaf 2022 World Cup Qualifying on Wikipedia
FIFA Rankings filtered by Concacaf

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 09-10-2019 at 11:37 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #1378
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Canada plays the USA twice and thats really their shot at moving up to the top six eh?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #1379
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So Canada plays the USA twice and thats really their shot at moving up to the top six eh?
Exactly. June 2020 is where the rankings will be used to determine the top 6, and although that feels like a long time from now, in international soccer, that's right around the corner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #1380
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'm a booster of OneSoccer and cut them a lot of slack, but man I wish they would get the replay of their matches up online a lot quicker. I couldn't watch Canada play live, so I figured I'd avoid the score, get the kid in bed, and the replay would be posted a few hours after the match ended.
I never watch anything live, and also find this a huge annoyance. I don't know if you've noticed, but if you check the schedule for the "Live" channel, they will often replay games later that night. Sometimes way too late.

On Saturday, I think they replayed it at 830pm (which is when I watched it). Tonight it starts at 745pm.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: