Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #1081
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
I think you are correct on teaching the students how to arrive at the answer. But the document clearly says that the focus should not be on the right answer. And somehow out of that, they managed to link racism with the focus on the right answer. That's the part I object to.
But the document does clearly say that the focus should not be on the right answer BECAUSE the focus should be on how students arrive at it. This includes unpacking the assumptions made if the right answer is not arrived at, illustrating both how to arrive at the right answer while showing common mistakes and why they occur, etc.

Again, you have to take the whole thing in context and there is a lot of context. It is not linking "the focus on the right answer" to any sort of active racism. It is suggesting it is part of a system developed by a white-dominated culture for it's own use, and can be better broadened by including teaching principles from other cultures.

It seems like you're taking it as "focusing on the right answer is racist." That's fine to object to, but you have to remove context in order to believe that is what it is saying.

Following the toolkit would likely help a lot of students who struggle with math regardless of race.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #1082
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1360412133087801345
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 08:24 PM   #1083
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
I guess the part that I disagree with is where in the document it says (paraphrased) that the focus shouldn't be on the right answer. We are talking about math here, not philosophy. There is only one right answer. simplified but 2 + 2=4 - period. There is no other answer. I agree that teaching methods could be changed, but the focus should always be on getting the right answer. And I find it quite a stretch to link focusing on the right answer with racism.

We had a similar discussion with our daughter’s math teacher a few years ago here in Calgary. My wife pointed out that in her business people die if the answer is wrong. I do understand that they are trying to teach multiple approaches to math include some that are more helpful for real world do it in your head scenarios. But when they prohibit traditional approaches and downplay the importance of a correct answer it’s a bit far for me.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 08:50 PM   #1084
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the time if people die because math is wrong the work goes through a QC process to catch errors and contains significant design safety margins. Understanding the approach and knowing if your answer is reasonable is the more important skill than doing the computation correctly.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 09:20 PM   #1085
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. Obvious grifters do grifty things. I for one am shocked.

https://www.axios.com/lincoln-projec...555fb312f.html

Quote:
The AP#reported#that the majority of the $90 million that the Lincoln Project has raised was paid to consulting firms tied to the group's founders and senior staff.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 09:31 PM   #1086
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Has anybody ever even really been “cancelled”? It seems unnecessary to replace the word “fired” with this.
I would argue that probably one of the biggest and first examples of "canceling" someone was conservatives/country music blacklisting The Chicks (formerly Dixie). They were one of the biggest acts in music as a whole before they spoke out against Bush, afterward they were absolutely wiped from the format.

These people whining about cancel culture tried to change the name to Freedom Fries. They tried to cancel french fries.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 09:55 PM   #1087
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittynickname View Post
I would argue that probably one of the biggest and first examples of "canceling" someone was conservatives/country music blacklisting The Chicks (formerly Dixie). They were one of the biggest acts in music as a whole before they spoke out against Bush, afterward they were absolutely wiped from the format.

These people whining about cancel culture tried to change the name to Freedom Fries. They tried to cancel french fries.
Patriotic correctness has been far more detrimental to society than political correctness.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 09:57 PM   #1088
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy ####.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1360387535457849347
Old 02-12-2021, 10:34 PM   #1089
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
That could be a good message to send to all the dog whistle hate groups if they were to be charged. "We know you guys are basically Diet Skinheads and we're coming for you."
Old 02-12-2021, 10:40 PM   #1090
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

Did the Dems/impeachment managers mention this little tidbit when presenting their case? Not that it matters of course, because Trump is gonna get away scot-free as expected. But this is pretty damning.

Quote:
In a 21-page memo, they asked a federal judge to detain Jessica Watkins, whom they describe as the leader of an Ohio-based militia tied to the Oath Keepers, saying she harbors extreme views that the Biden presidency poses an "existential threat" and actively recruited people to participate in a coup.

Prosecutors quote her on Nov. 17 as telling a recruit that if Biden was president, then "our Republic would be over. Then it is our duty as Americans to fight, kill and die for our rights.”

Thursday's detention memo for Watkins suggests that some of Trump's most fervent supporters believed he sought to signal them into action.
In the memo, prosecutors say Watkins exchanged texts with another co-defendant and other unidentified contacts about coordinating a "quick reaction force" which would be there as back-up with guns if needed on Jan. 6.

"We can have mace, tasers, or night sticks," she wrote, noting the armed team would be "outside DC with guns, await ... orders to enter DC under permission from Trump."
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:44 PM   #1091
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrapping a ton of them up with a RICO prosecution would be ####ing hilarious.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #1092
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We had a similar discussion with our daughter’s math teacher a few years ago here in Calgary. My wife pointed out that in her business people die if the answer is wrong. I do understand that they are trying to teach multiple approaches to math include some that are more helpful for real world do it in your head scenarios. But when they prohibit traditional approaches and downplay the importance of a correct answer it’s a bit far for me.
This is the worst argument I’ve seen against this yet.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #1093
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the least surprising news of the day, Turtle Mitch will vote to acquit Trump.

I guess that makes it official that the GOP (or GQP as they're being called lately) are now the party of Trump and QAnon, and that old-school Reagan/Bush style Republicanism is dead.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/13/polit...ump/index.html

Quote:
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has told his colleagues that he will vote to acquit former President Donald Trump of inciting the insurrection at the US Capitol last month because he doesn't think the Senate has jurisdiction to try to the case, according to sources familiar with the matter. He described it as a close call.

The decision all but ensures that Trump will avoid becoming the first president in American history to be convicted in an impeachment trial. McConnell plans to explain his decision after the final vote, an aide told CNN.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #1094
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
In the least surprising news of the day, Turtle Mitch will vote to acquit Trump.

I guess that makes it official that the GOP (or GQP as they're being called lately) are now the party of Trump and QAnon, and that old-school Reagan/Bush style Republicanism is dead.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/13/polit...ump/index.html
Here is what I don't understand: the first point of order in the trial was the question of it's constitutionality. The Senate voted on this issue, and it was formally decided that yes, Trump can be impeached after the end of his term; and yes he can in fact be barred from ever again holding federal office by the Senate.

With this already established, it would seem to me that it no longer qualifies as grounds for acquittal. And yet, here we are.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #1095
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1360642180629491712
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #1096
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Here is what I don't understand: the first point of order in the trial was the question of it's constitutionality. The Senate voted on this issue, and it was formally decided that yes, Trump can be impeached after the end of his term; and yes he can in fact be barred from ever again holding federal office by the Senate.

With this already established, it would seem to me that it no longer qualifies as grounds for acquittal. And yet, here we are.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Impeachment is not a legal process it is an inherently political one.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #1097
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Washington, DC is bad theater. All circuses and no bread.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #1098
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In many ways the trial was a formality to get it on record, now criminal prosecution can move forward. We all knew how this was going to go, we know how bad Republican senators are.

Trump and key enablers(Cruz ) won't get to be jurors for one another when this moves to criminal or civil court, which I think is where this is going. The careers and legacies that are up for grabs in taking down Trump and Co must be very motivating to the prosecutors that we know are out there.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:43 PM   #1099
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ted Cruz is a stain on the good City of Calgary.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #1100
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yet another embarrassing day for America, brought to you by the GOP.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: