Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2020, 09:37 AM   #21
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Aside from the trick crap they've started (see mcdavid with piece of jersey bs) very few cards are worth anything the last 40 years due to mass production, 60's - 70's bubblegum rookie cards have the value and even Atlanta didn't have a great rookie.
A card is only "worth" what someone else is willing to pay for it. While most cards from the late 80's to the late 90's are literally worthless, the newer stuff can be "worth" a lot because they've created a demand for cards with autographs, jerseys patches, etc. However, that means the "regular" cards (ie. base cards) are almost an afterthought -- it's just a seemingly never-ending search for the "high demand" stuff.

What I also don't like is that they've manufactured demand by emphasizing each year's rookie crop and producing a bunch of different cards (and variations) of each rookie. Of course, only a handful of those rookies will actually pan out, meaning in 2 to 3 years time, those cards will be essentially worthless. Sports cards have always had a speculation component, but I think the focus should be on the stars of the game, not the Spencer Foo's and Morgan Klimchuk's.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #22
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
Wasn't Joe Nieuwedyk's last name spelled wrong on his rookie card?

I remember all the fabled values for that one.
IIRC, his name was spelt wrong in the first run of pro set cards and it had a stupidly high value. Of course, this was the run of pro set cards that had a ton of errors and was released when hockey cards were a huge fad (90-91ish).
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:58 AM   #23
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Never did get around to posting my collection, but yeah it's insane how much they are increasing in value. I now have many cards worth at least $1000.

I'm not a huge collector, and probably spend net about $2000/year, after you subtract my sales of stuff I don't want, but it's pretty shocking how much the collection has accumulated in value.

I just sent over 200 cards into PSA for grading. The modern ones should hopefully be mostly 10s.

I should probably think of selling off the collection now.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #24
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sports cards increase is largely due to stimulus cheques?

If you’re talking the stimulus cheques being sent to individuals then that’s one of the worst takes I’ve read in a long time.

Individual stimulus cheques aren’t helping you pay $200k for a Lebron card. The increase in values is at the high-end with record setting prices, as you mention with “exponential price increases”.

Now if you’re talking about the stimulus given to mid-size businesses, I’m sure some of that is fuelling high-end prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Sports cards as a whole have seen a massive increase in popularity in 2020, largely due to the stimulus cheques sent out by the US Government. Hockey cards have not seen the exponential price increases due to the interest being limited to Canada. Basketball, baseball, football and soccer are through the roof.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #25
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post

If you’re talking the stimulus cheques being sent to individuals then that’s one of the worst takes I’ve read in a long time.

Individual stimulus cheques aren’t helping you pay $200k for a Lebron card. The increase in values is at the high-end with record setting prices, as you mention with “exponential price increases”.

Now if you’re talking about the stimulus given to mid-size businesses, I’m sure some of that is fuelling high-end prices.
I've heard this argument a lot, and I don't entirely buy it either. I think they're getting at that people aren't spending on restaurants, vacations, etc...so those that are working have more disposable income.

However, from what I've seen more people are just getting into (or back) into the hobby. A lot of people who are 35-40+ have $1000 to drop on an expensive box of cards now. This has fueled speculation at the top.

Basically I'm turning 40 and the world has become "Nuts and Gum". I'm now in the group with all the cash to burn and markets are turning towards stuff I want to buy.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #26
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Never did get around to posting my collection, but yeah it's insane how much they are increasing in value. I now have many cards worth at least $1000.

I'm not a huge collector, and probably spend net about $2000/year, after you subtract my sales of stuff I don't want, but it's pretty shocking how much the collection has accumulated in value.

I just sent over 200 cards into PSA for grading. The modern ones should hopefully be mostly 10s.

Nice! I've never been good at the whole "selling high" bit, but yeah I'd consider striking while the iron is still hot. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #27
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Glad I’m not the only one who did a double take on that post.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #28
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Last edited by troutman; 09-01-2020 at 10:46 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #29
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 09-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #30
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Are hockey cards actually up in value.

I have loads of 90's stuff (all the big name RC's) and lots of 2002-2006 stuff (mid-grade RC's of all the usual suspects) just collecting dust.

Where the best place to be selling some of this stuff off now? Back in the day I was buying and selling like crazy on Ebay and started getting into grading stuff with BGS. Have a huge stack of RC's ready to get graded that have been sitting for 15+ years lol.

EDIT: holy crap are Crosby YG RC's actually pushing $700+ these days? WTF!

Last edited by rohara66; 09-01-2020 at 11:18 AM.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #31
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Are hockey cards actually up in value.

I have loads of 90's stuff (all the big name RC's) and lots of 2002-2006 stuff (mid-grade RC's of all the usual suspects) just collecting dust.

Where the best place to be selling some of this stuff off now? Back in the day I was buying and selling like crazy on Ebay and started getting into grading stuff with BGS. Have a huge stack of RC's ready to get graded that have been sitting for 15+ years lol.

EDIT: holy crap are Crosby YG RC's actually pushing $700+ these days? WTF!
Stuff from the "junk era" 90s isn't up, but a lot of other stuff is.

Most of my stuff is Young Guns from 2007 to now, and a mostly graded. Yes, this stuff is up a lot.

A graded 9.5 BGS or PSA 10 Crosby YG is worth closer to $2,000.

My PSA 9 Gretzky card from 1980 (2nd year), which I purchased about 6 years ago for $350 is now worth $2k also.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #32
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Crosby YG RC is booking for $550-$850, holy ####.

I have mint one ready to get graded stored away since 2005 lol.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #33
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've seen these prices come and go (lol 90's). So I feel like I should unload all my stuff with those prices on the mid 00's stuff.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #34
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Obviously the stimulus cheques don't factor into the high end sales, but it's not just high end cards that are increasing in price, it's the low end cards as well. That's where the stimulus cheques are factoring in. The high end sales are always going to go up regardless.

There are people in the US with money to blow that are seeing prices driven up and are throwing money into the hobby. Any rookie with a shred of potential is being pounced on, driving up prices. If a player has one good game their cards jump in value. In soccer, go look at 2020 prices for guys like Alphonso Davies, Kai Havertz, Jadon Sancho, Ansu Fati, Takefusa Kubo, Phil Foden, Mason Greenwood, etc. If basketball, go look at RJ Barrett and watch his base rookie prices triple in the last few months. Stuff I'm buying is doubling or tripling in value by the time it arrives in my mailbox.

Again, not really seeing it in hockey outside of the real high end stuff given that the market for hockey cards is mostly limited to Canada.

shermanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #35
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Way down the rabbit hole on hockey cards today after 15 years out of the hobby.

You should post some of your collection!

And did you send for grading directly to PSA? I have some cards I want graded (Crosby and Ovie YG's to start) but its super expensive to only send a handful of cards.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #36
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Way down the rabbit hole on hockey cards today after 15 years out of the hobby.

You should post some of your collection!

And did you send for grading directly to PSA? I have some cards I want graded (Crosby and Ovie YG's to start) but its super expensive to only send a handful of cards.
I sent to PSA in their bulk service, which is much cheaper.

For high end cards like Crosby/OV, the cost is definitely worth it, if they are a high grade. The higher grade will increase the value a lot.

Will try to put up some of my best cards. I don't have anything super high end. Most expensive card is that Gretzky year 2. Also have 2 Topps Gretzky RCs, highest grade is a 7.5 BVG. Also have a few BGS YGs graded 10 (Tavares, Karlsson, Hedman, Kuznetsov etc..). Have a Tkachuk Cup RPA. Have a few McDavid YGs graded 9.5. Stuff like that. Nothing crazy rare.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #37
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I sent to PSA in their bulk service, which is much cheaper.

For high end cards like Crosby/OV, the cost is definitely worth it, if they are a high grade. The higher grade will increase the value a lot.

Will try to put up some of my best cards. I don't have anything super high end. Most expensive card is that Gretzky year 2. Also have 2 Topps Gretzky RCs, highest grade is a 7.5 BVG. Also have a few BGS YGs graded 10 (Tavares, Karlsson, Hedman, Kuznetsov etc..). Have a Tkachuk Cup RPA. Have a few McDavid YGs graded 9.5. Stuff like that. Nothing crazy rare.

Nice. I'm going to dig through some stuff tonight and I'll post some pictures.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #38
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you show me yours I'll show you mine....

shermanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #39
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha well I guess I’ll start and if anyone wants to follow please feel free

Young Guns vs Old Guns:

I compiled this in 2019 just because I thought it would be neat to have a Young Guns rookie card of the current roster. Paired it with some OPC rookies from the 89 Cup roster.
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2020, 12:53 AM   #40
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
This was my collection. It has now been passed on to bc-chris to give to his son Matthew when he gets older. Lots of WHA cards and players from the 70's and some Atlanta Flames cards

https://imgur.com/w91sDnD

https://imgur.com/veWs6u2

https://imgur.com/62cY0cx

https://imgur.com/Idr40fu

https://imgur.com/5kv6lPb

https://imgur.com/RbZcjKY

https://imgur.com/dPdwcp5

https://imgur.com/pne6oXP

https://imgur.com/0smiVuB

https://imgur.com/mYJNY42

Last edited by Dion; 09-02-2020 at 12:57 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:

Tags
got em , need em