Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default FLAMES at JETS 6:00pm MT - SNW

Top teams in the Western Conference. Another good challenge for CGY.

Quote:
FLAMES (22-12-3) at JETS (24-10-2)

6:00 p.m. | TV: Sportsnet West | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

Season Series: 1-0-0

All-time: 16-11-1-1

Flames Road Record: 11-8-0

Jets Home Record: 13-4-2

Leading Scorers:

Flames:

Points - Johnny Gaudreau (48)
Goals - Sean Monahan (21)

Jets:

Points - Mark Scheifele (49)
Goals - Patrik Laine (23)

US

The Flames are coming off a 3-1 loss to the St. Louis Blues on Saturday, but continue to lead the Pacific Division by two points over the San Jose Sharks, thanks to a 7-3-1 record in the month of the December. This is only the second time in the last 25 years the Flames have been at the top of their division at the holiday break. The last time it happened was 10 years when the 19-11-4 Flames led the Northwest Division by one point over the Vancouver Canucks, according to NHL.com. … "Bottom line is that we've had a good season up to this point, but we feel like we're going into the break on a little bit of a slide," said captain Mark Giordano . "We haven't won in the last three. We've got to get our energy back, our legs back. It's a big game coming out of the break, against Winnipeg. You don't want to let things like this keep going. We want to get back in the win column as soon as possible, turn it back around." … Giordano has been held without a point in each of his last three games, but is still tied for third in scoring among defenceman with 35 points (6G, 29A) in 35 games. … On Saturday, Matthew Tkachuk scored the game's lone goal for the homeside off a great feed from Elias Lindholm on a first-period powerplay. Goaltender Mike Smith made his first start in 10 days after missing a few days of action with an undisclosed injury. He made 24 saves on 27 shots, and suffered his first loss in eight starts. … Including tonight, the Flames will play five of their next seven games on the road.

THEM

The Jets are coming out of the Christmas break as the team to beat in the West, winning 10 of their 12 games in the month of December and leading the Central Division by four points over the banged-up Nashville Predators. … Five days ago, Mark Scheifele broke a 0-0 tie with a minute and a half left in regulation, while former Flames draft pick Laurent Brossoit picked up his first-career NHL shutout with a 40-save effort to give the Jets a 1-0 victory over the Vancouver Canucks to close out a three-game road trip. Scheifele is now tied for third with five game-winning goals on the year, with a league-leading four of them coming in December. With Saturday's win, Brossoit improved to 8-1-1 on the year, along a .939 save percentage and a 2.11 goals-against average. … Last year's Vezina finalist, Connor Hellebuyck, is 16-9-1, and will likely get the start in goal tonight. The 25-year-old had a bit of a slow start to the year, but is quickly rounding into form, winning seven of his last nine starts. In 27 appearances, he has a .909 save percentage and a 2.90 goals-against average. … Blake Wheeler - one of the league's best passers - leads the NHL with 43 assists. The Winnipeg captain set a career high with 68 last year as part of a 91-point campaign, but is on pace to smash that total and perhaps reach the 100-point plateau for the first time in his career. The 32-year-old has 37 points (3G, 34A) in his last 24 games. … The Jets are second in the NHL with a 28.7% powerplay, and their 11 PPGs in the month of December are more than any other team. The powerplay is especially potent at home, running at a league-best 36.8%.

US VS. THEM

This is the second of three meetings. The Flames won the first encounter 6-3 back on Nov. 21 at the Scotiabank Saddledome. Matthew Tkachuk, Johnny Gaudreau , Sam Bennett and Mark Jankowski had a goal and an assist each, while David Rittich made 37 saves. The Flames scored five straight times in the first period to become the fourth team in NHL history to score five or more goals in the first period of consecutive games. ... The Flames and Jets will close out the season series on Mar. 2 back in Winnipeg.

THIS, THAT & THE OTHER

THIS: The Flames and Jets have an eerily identical offence this year. They've both scored 127 goals; the Flames have allowed 101, while the Jets have allowed 100. ... THAT: Thirteen of the last 15 games between these two teams have been decided by two goals or more. ... THE OTHER: Mark Giordano will play in his 791st NHL game tonight, which will tie him with Theo Fleury for the fourth-most games played as a Flame in franchise history.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Flames - James Neal

'The Real Deal' coming off one of his best games of the season on Saturday against the Blues. He led the team with five shots on goal, had a 61.1% (11-7) Corsi-For percentage, and was 70% (7-3) on scoring chances. In 29 career games against the Jets, Neal has 19 goals, 28 points and has three game-winners.

Jets - Mark Scheifele

Scheifele leads the NHL in scoring in the month of December with 20 points (9G, 11A) in 12 games. He has a point in nine of Winnipeg's 12 wins this month, and had multi-point efforts in seven of those. He's only one point ahead of Johnny Gaudreau for sixth in league scoring with 49 points (22G, 27A) in 36 games overall. Of his 22 goals, five are game-winners, including three in overtime in a two-week span earlier this month. Scheifele, who plays in all situations, is currently second in ice time among forwards, averaging 22:32 per game.
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/5-th...ts/c-303263328
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like the TBL game, this should tell us what the Flames are made of. Can’t wait!
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #3
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just win
Old 12-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carrying low expectations for todays game. Post holiday break, sloppy previous game, just doesn't seem to add up to an inspired outing.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh how I've missed Flames hockey.

As Gio said, they entered the break on a bit of a slide - so I'm pretty excited to see how they come out of the gates tonight.

If you believe his squad has the makings of being a top-team in this league (I do) these are the games you get excited for. A top team in the West coming in to right the ship well-restested and eager... against the top team in the West looking to maintain their good run.

Should be a really fun tilt!

Last edited by Split98; 12-27-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm predicting a 4-1 loss, Flames continue the losing streak. They win Saturday.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll be the first time for my wife and I at the MTS centre. While she will be wearing a Jets jersey, I'm very excited to cheer on the Flames in my red. 5-3 for Calgary. Go Flames Go!!
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

First game with my Neal jersey, so they'll win 18-0. Neal held pointless, of course.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #9
Zamboniman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hmm, watch the Juniors first then the Flames on PVR, or the other way around.....?

Decisions, decisions....
Zamboniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboniman View Post
Hmm, watch the Juniors first then the Flames on PVR, or the other way around.....?

Decisions, decisions....

Well since Canada is playing Switzerland and it will probably be another unholy beat down, I'd watch the Flames live and record the Team Canada Game.

I'll be honest, when Canada really started rolling on Denmark, I turned the game off a 14-0 shellacking aka Colorado versus the South Park Peewee team, just isn't that interesting.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

One game I don't have to worry about getting screwed out of watching on TV because of blackout restrictions.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is a night game so Mr Sticky will be watching and therefore we will win.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel at fault for the flames recent slide, as I haven't been able to watch the past couple games. Once again I'll miss this one. Maybe I'll luck out and plane will have CBC as a channel...

Hoping they can return to their winning ways!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #14
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Derek Wills @Fan960Wills
#Flames projected lines and pairings vs. #NHLJets:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett
Quine-Jankowski-Neal
Frolik-Ryan-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson

Rittich (in starter’s net)
Smith
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
It'll be the first time for my wife and I at the MTS centre. While she will be wearing a Jets jersey, I'm very excited to cheer on the Flames in my red. 5-3 for Calgary. Go Flames Go!!
Enjoy! Not a bad seat in the house. Oh have Jet Dog!
*fond memories of April*

Last edited by White Out 403; 12-27-2018 at 11:05 AM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Carrying low expectations for todays game. Post holiday break, sloppy previous game, just doesn't seem to add up to an inspired outing.
You could say the same thing about the Jets. They were pretty bad in their last game against the Nucks. Brossoit was the only reason they won that one.

I think both teams will come out sluggish today due to the post-holiday blahs, and whichever team finds their legs first will probably win. Rittich starting is good news though. If it were Smith, I'd already be chalking this one up as a guaranteed loss.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #17
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
Everything you need to know about the dedication of #Flames forward Michael Frolik ... Not wanting to take four days off after return from high-ankle sprain, he skated on Dec. 23. Alone. With some of the lights turned off.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #18
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Little bit of an unusual twist for the good guys today in that they flew into Winnipeg this morning.

Normally they would fly in a day ahead of time but because of the CBA mandate, there was no allowed team travel on boxing day.

Will be interesting to see how it affects them if at all.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #19
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Little bit of an unusual twist for the good guys today in that they flew into Winnipeg this morning.

Normally they would fly in a day ahead of time but because of the CBA mandate, there was no allowed team travel on boxing day.

Will be interesting to see how it affects them if at all.
Are players allowed to fly individually to Winnipeg from wherever they spent Christmas? Or was it necessary for everyone to return to Calgary first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #20
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Are players allowed to fly individually to Winnipeg from wherever they spent Christmas? Or was it necessary for everyone to return to Calgary first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure but i doubt anyone can stop anyone else from travelling anywhere they want on days off.

That being said I suspect none of them even left town for what amounted to 3 days. Likely a lot of team/player get-togethers instead.

Tags
gfg