Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #121
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sucks but at the end of the day, Jaromir Jagr played for the Calgary Flames. That is a fact, and that is an awesome fact.

I wish him well, but unfortunately I think his time in the NHL is up.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #122
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still hoping for a Dave Lowry 2004 comeback when it looked like his career may be done after a January injury, to come back not until I think the Detroit series, play one game and got hurt a bit again.

Then he was back for a few games for the finals, setting up Marcus Nilsson which was inches away from the Game 6 OT goal.

Besides, I don’t think any team will want him. My educated guess is that he’s going to get surgery and be out for long enough that no team will really want him a month or more down the road. The it’s up to him and the Flames whether he sticks around after the Flames help in his rehab.

His career really shouldn’t end this way nor his time with the Flames. That game he got his first goal you could see that the confidence was coming on, then hurt the next game, an injury he didn’t have before and which also prevents him from couldn’t keep up his cardio training. So he’s behind again when he comes back and then tweaks his knee...his condition isn’t there nor is confidence for a guy who’s used to be brimming with it and expects himself to be at a high level.

Last edited by browna; 01-07-2018 at 12:11 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 12:07 AM   #123
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fire Cameron and hire Jagr as our new PP coach 😊. Still would make a good mentor to the young guys. Still glad we did the experiment
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getoverit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #124
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

browna, I agree.

He started to create a few chances a game in early games, and there is clearly something nagging, that he (feels he) needs to play through. I would like to see the Flames honour the contract, get the injury sorted and let him have a chance when truly healthy.

Edit: also, my impression is that he seems to have been forcing himself to come back too soon from injuries, knowing the clock is ticking, and my opinion about the wisdom of him being bag skated still stands. Both bag skates he was out for multiple games afterwards, and I was at the winsport one. You could tell he tweaked something that practice. (Selfishly, at least he signed my jersey.)

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 01-07-2018 at 12:21 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:28 AM   #125
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Groin injuries need time to rest. He was very effective before the injury. I hope they wait it out.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 12:35 AM   #126
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hate to do this but I do think this was poorly handled in a lot of ways from the organizational level. Jagr may have some blame to share as he did admit that he wasn't in the type of game shape he expects of himself as his motivation was low due to the fact that he was unexpectedly dropped from Florida's plans. The reports are that he was told that he was in the teams plans for the season but they decided to cut bait just before July 1st.

So from the Flames perspective.

1) There did seem to be a rush to get him in the lineup, he admitted in his press conference that if this was HIS Czech team, he would be skating with the team for a month before playing a game. He played a week after the season started vs LA. I know that a lack of winger depth was a reason for the signing so there was pressure on both sides to get the process started.

2) Bag skates: Listen I don't know how much of a factor this actually played in his injuries but I highly doubt that they helped. If you think about how hockey players mentality are, they don't want to be seen as a guy not pulling their weight so to speak. Does anybody really think that if Gio said to Gully that maybe he should't skate, that any player would have an issue with it? Sometimes you need to make it an order so that somebody doesn't self sabotage themselves. I recall an interview a few years ago where Joe Quinville in Chicago prohibited Duncan Keith from coming to morning skates as he was literally playing in some games 45 or 50 minutes. The guy didn't want to let the team down so the coached barred him.

3) Was Jagr's play and time with the team really THAT bad? I would watch him closely and outside of his speed, his play making skills were good, he controlled the play, won the board battles most of the time. More often than not it was the play dying on somebody's else's stick. Despite being "busted up" like some people say, he was on pace for 25-30 points? Was his play way worse than Stajan, Brouwer, Lazar, Freddie Hamilton's? Like seriously?

4) Why not shut him down for a few weeks and try to rehab his injury and then slowly put him into the games? What's the downside to having him being with the team and showing the young guys some things? Other players can take up roster spots but Jagr playing 8-10 minutes for a few weeks until he get's into groove if he can get healthy is suppose to be the iceberg that will bring down the team?

I didn't expect this to go amazing or anything but I didn't ever expect the team or Jagr to quit on each other, this is worse than worse case scenario.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 12:36 AM   #127
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Groin injuries need time to rest. He was very effective before the injury. I hope they wait it out.
If there's any rush I imagine it's coming from Jagr's camp as this is for sure his last NHL season and he can only miss a small handful of games before Howe's GP record is out of reach.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:40 AM   #128
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Signed to create distraction from the arena fiasco. Mission Accomplished. Time to move on. And the way the departure is being handled tells me the flames brass were not united on this signing in the first place
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:46 AM   #129
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Signed to create distraction from the arena fiasco. Mission Accomplished. Time to move on. And the way the departure is being handled tells me the flames brass were not united on this signing in the first place
Funny.

Arena fiasco? Sign Jagr
Sell jerseys through Christmas.
Jersey sales exceed Jagr salary
2 more games triggers bonus.
Cut bait.
Jagr fiasco? Gully stick throw

Edit: Holy smokes. This is Trump/Bannon style distraction usage

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 01-07-2018 at 12:49 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 12:52 AM   #130
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Funny.

Arena fiasco? Sign Jagr
Cut bait.

The picture is complete
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 01:01 AM   #131
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hope we at least get a few nice Jagr Flames Hockey cards made

Last edited by TheOnlyBilko; 01-07-2018 at 01:04 AM.
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:06 AM   #132
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Funny.

Arena fiasco? Sign Jagr
Cut bait.

What next? Rumors that Ken King isn't mentally fit to run the Flames?
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyBilko For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 01:16 AM   #133
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I really want to see the Flames commit to the youth movement, now. It's the formula Pittsburgh used to great success.

Pittsburgh also had 2 #1 overall picks and 2 #2 overall picks in 4 straight seasons. Also had the #5 overall pick in the year before they got Fleury #1 overall. So #5, #1, #2, #1, #2 in 5 straight years is a pretty solid base to grow from. Two of the players being superstars, one other being a near superstar, big difference

Last edited by TheOnlyBilko; 01-07-2018 at 01:24 AM. Reason: auto correct messing things up
Old 01-07-2018, 02:17 AM   #134
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
Pittsburgh also had 2 #1 overall picks and 2 #2 overall picks in 4 straight seasons. Also had the #5 overall pick in the year before they got Fleury #1 overall. So #5, #1, #2, #1, #2 in 5 straight years is a pretty solid base to grow from. Two of the players being superstars, one other being a near superstar, big difference
Pittsburgh going back to Lemieux have really picked good times to tank.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:21 AM   #135
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really sad news, but I'm not surprised at all. No matter what shape you are in, 45 is a tough age to play a young man's game. And as was said before; he was a place holder on a RW spot until someone else could steal it from him. Hathaway has done a formidable job of taking that spot, and I doubt you'll find a Flame's fan anywhere who will complain about that.

Best of luck to him and the team in this tough situation. Either way it was a joy to see him wearing the Flaming C and a childhood dream come true.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:25 AM   #136
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let him heal, we are better with him in the lineup when he plays the way he did earlier in the season.

The problem is Brouwer and Stajans contracts coupled with not being effective anymore and Lazar's waiver eligibility make it harder to shuffle the deck chairs but now that we've lost Hamilton it seems to be less of a concern.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Hathaway
Brouwer-Hrivik-Jagr
Stajan/Lazar

Or

Mangiapane-Lazar-Jagr
Brouwer/Stajan

Jagr and Mangiapane (in spurts) are the only guys who have made our 4th line not seem terrible.

Jagr, when healthy, can still play at a level above the 3 mentioned and considering our dearth of currency for the TDL you'd think it would be prudent to keep a guy like him around..

Roster sizes won't be an issue by the time Versteeg is ready to return. I really don't get why there wouldn't be room to keep him.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:14 AM   #137
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Let him heal, we are better with him in the lineup when he plays the way he did earlier in the season.
10-12 Flames record when Jagr in the lineup
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #138
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I refuse to believe this until confirmed
I agree. It does not compute for me. Pure speculation in my view. Perhaps it is denial.

What team would trade for him in his injury state? Noone else wanted him except St. Louis.

Rest him for 4-6 weeks to heal that groin on LTIR. Give him another couple weeks to get in game shape. That brings us to mid-March. I will take a well rested, healthy Jagr down the stretch even on the fourth line or for PP.

Jagr in a playoff race and playoff run would be invaluable. Inevitable injuries to our top 9 will occur.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #139
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
This is the kind of crap i'm talking about. The "don't let the door hit you on the way out"/"we're too good for you"/"you're a ####ty person" type of comment is how the Oilers handle their departures. It's why they have a tough time attracting players. It speaks poorly for their market.

We're better than that. Stop it with this kind of crap. Jagr didn't work out. Fine. We're moving on. Wish him the best and thank him for the work he did with Bennett, Tkachuk and Jankowski while he was here.
Doesn't mean you cant say the truth. He did come to the team out of shape. Being truthful isn't ripping on the player or his legacy. Not like the team is putting out a press release saying he was old and out of shape.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #140
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
What next? Rumors that Ken King isn't mentally fit to run the Flames?

Some sort of challenge to TSN about “our Button being bigger”.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post: