Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2020, 07:18 AM   #981
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Do the sports channels count in those 10?
I would assume so, it says "any".
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #982
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN and Sportsnet not the same "sports pack" lol bunch of crooks. Same thing with news.

I highly doubt you can pick and choose single sports channels
Old 07-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #983
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I would assume so, it says "any".
sports channels are not included as an option for these 10.

Meanwhile, the same 2 cable boxes that were working with Shaw 3 weeks ago, and haven't been disconnected at all on my end, are somehow both not working now (according to Shaw). They keep rebooting them, and expecting channels to show up, after they haven't shown up the last 10 times they have rebooted the box.

26 hours on twitter chat, and I still don't have cable on my TVs.

They want to mail out replacement cable boxes, 3-5 business days, but it strongly appears to not be a box issue. Why would both boxes, (and the bluecurve app) all be having issues if it was a box problem?
Old 07-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #984
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
sports channels are not included as an option for these 10.

Meanwhile, the same 2 cable boxes that were working with Shaw 3 weeks ago, and haven't been disconnected at all on my end, are somehow both not working now (according to Shaw). They keep rebooting them, and expecting channels to show up, after they haven't shown up the last 10 times they have rebooted the box.

26 hours on twitter chat, and I still don't have cable on my TVs.

They want to mail out replacement cable boxes, 3-5 business days, but it strongly appears to not be a box issue. Why would both boxes, (and the bluecurve app) all be having issues if it was a box problem?
Yeah that doesn't make sense...the app should work even if there is an issue with the box
Old 07-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #985
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah that doesn't make sense...the app should work even if there is an issue with the box
"All channels" in the blue curve app shows me Sportsnet 360, and Cartoon Network.

Both of those happen to be in free preview right now.

On both cable boxes, the only channels I can get are the free preview channels. Only those channels show up in the guide, and only those channels are available.

(Except for a short while this afternoon when one of the boxes worked).

Again, both of these boxes worked fine 3 weeks ago, and neither has been unplugged of disconnected in any way since.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #986
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shaw is launching a "Shaw Mobile" wireless brand next month exclusive to Alberta and BC, which is kind of weird since they already have one (Freedom Mobile)

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/07/27/s...and-july-30th/
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #987
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Shaw Mobile will become their 'big 3' fighter brand, while Freedom will continue to battle in the 'affordable' space.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #988
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I wonder if Shaw Mobile will become their 'big 3' fighter brand, while Freedom will continue to battle in the 'affordable' space.
A real Big 3 fighter brand would offer the same services at a lesser price but I imagine Shaw will simply offer the same plans at the Big 3 collusion pricing to not upset the apple cart.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #989
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
A real Big 3 fighter brand would offer the same services at a lesser price but I imagine Shaw will simply offer the same plans at the Big 3 collusion pricing to not upset the apple cart.
Shaw's cell service right now is #### though. They don't even have coverage along highway 1, or in the Banff/Canmore area. What's going to be the pricing advantage to go with them, when you can get much more, for the same price with anyone else?

Even if they were to increase their coverage area in BC and Alberta from day one, still is a much more limited service compared to the big 3. I think Shaw will have to make the pricing very competitive to let it have a decent start.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #990
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they will leverage their gowifi network for voice and data to improve speeds, and reduce towers and capacity needed there? Kind of a hybrid cell/wifi network. Not sure if that is technically possible.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #991
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I currently bend over for Shaw for average internet and barebones TV, so I already get connected to their wifi for both data and voice/sms where it's available. what I want is a significant discount for being an existing customer, and proof that they're making a concerted effort to rival big 3 coverage.

inertia of having to replace cable boxes , modems, wiring etc. has kept me from ping ponging between Shaw and Telus for internet/TV, but switching mobile providers is way more painless, so I'll do that in a heartbeat given sufficient incentive.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #992
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, that is what I'm wondering. If they can provide it cheaper by leveraging their other infrastructure. Obviously I wouldn't want to pay the same as the big 3.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #993
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just talked to a Shaw rep last week about a renewal. I have been with them 16 years. The person sent me a generic link to pricing that was $60 more a month than Telus with slower internet.

I asked if they would at least match and was polite told no.

So I believe I am switching in August. Telus gives you free equipment anyway.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #994
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I just talked to a Shaw rep last week about a renewal. I have been with them 16 years. The person sent me a generic link to pricing that was $60 more a month than Telus with slower internet.

I was with Shaw for 16 years as well. Tried to renew with them in June and the best they could do was give me $5 off a month. The lady I spoke to told me they got rid of their retentions/loyalty department so everybody gets what’s advertised. I switched to Telus shortly after and now have 1GB fibre Internet and basic TV for $65 a month.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #995
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw's new VP or one of them have heavily reduced their aggressive pricing.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:11 AM   #996
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Shaw's new VP or one of them have heavily reduced their aggressive pricing.
I'm not sure if this means they have reduced pricing or reduced their reduced pricing (in effect raising it), but I'm guessing it's the latter based off of the post preceding this one.

TekSavvy is looking like a better option every day.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:20 AM   #997
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

Telecom and ISP companies don't care about retention, it's all about the new sign ups.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #998
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Telecom and ISP companies don't care about retention, it's all about the new sign ups.
Then Telus must be doing well because it seems like a lot of people are jumping ship from Shaw to Telus.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #999
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully when my renewal comes up next year they will have lost enoguh customers that they switch back to retentions.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #1000
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing that worked out well for me was signing a 2 year contract that started on black Friday, so I got their black Friday promos and then 2 years later I'll probably get another promo (assuming they have one) or just switch to someone who does. I ended up getting about $350 in bill credits that wouldn't have been available at other times.

I would recommend this to anyone tied to a 2 year contract that ends slightly before black Friday - consider going month to month for a couple months if you can and then sign another agreement on the week of black Friday, when I signed up Shaw said that's when they have their best (only) deals
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post: