Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #1
bootsnixon
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Best ski hill for beginner snowboarder?

Taking the family to Canmore in a couple weeks. Have only snowboarded twice so pretty green. My daughter is also a novice. Wondering what hill you guys recommend? Don't need a ton of area and probably my biggest gripe with boarding is flats. I'm just not good/confidant enough to carry speed across level areas so would like to avoid that. I imagine I would struggle with the ski-out at Sunshine so lean away from there and have been to Nakiska last year so it would not be my first choice for this trip either. Am considering Louise or Norquay? Thoughts?
bootsnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
bootsnixon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Oops, I'm in the tech forum. How do I move this to Off Topic?
Old 02-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #3
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I miss Wintergreen.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd say Norquay is probably a decent option for ya. If you're going to be in Canmore for a couple weeks and are fairly new to the sport, save yourself some driving and start there. You can always head out to Louise for a day or two if you get bored of the terrain or want a change of scenery.

If you do end up at Louise don't do Saddleback (backside from the top of the world lift) as it's got a long runout. Most of the front-side especially the main lift or the gondola are both straightforward / beginner friendly. Ptarmigan / Larch would be good options too.

Don't forget your mask and distancing for the lift lines. Louise is also requiring reservations but other than weekends they don't fill up too often.

Last edited by Flames0910; 02-03-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 11:27 PM   #5
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

COP, Norquay, Nakiska.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:39 PM   #6
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Man, I miss Wintergreen.
Lyon Mountain before that.

Fortress was good as well for intermediate skiers, and the backside and far side had some nice long runs, though the lodge was a sorry excuse (and you could stay in rooms in the lodge, dorm style for 3 bunks to a room and common bathrooms).even for the early 90s.

Norquay I think still has night skiing, which really is a throwback to the 80s.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #7
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Lyon Mountain before that.

Fortress was good as well for intermediate skiers, and the backside and far side had some nice long runs, though the lodge was a sorry excuse (and you could stay in rooms in the lodge, dorm style for 3 bunks to a room and common bathrooms).even for the early 90s.

Norquay I think still has night skiing, which really is a throwback to the 80s.
Fortress brings back memories I haven't thought about in a long time. I was on their Skimeisters team for a few years. That lodge was great. Just walk out the door and put on your skis. I remember waxing up the cafeteria trays and taking them out on the ski runs at night!

I thought it was a great mountain for good skiers too. The runs off the Canadian chair were great mogul runs. Perfect fall line, and a good length to do it in one shot with a good leg burn by the end and no lines. I always felt like I got more hours of hard skiing in, in a day than anywhere else. There was a good OB hike up area as well, that if I remember right wasn't prohibited, just ski at your own risk.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #8
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

COP, if you can board/ski that you can do anything.

My kids learnt on Canyon in Red Deer, which was a good little hill for what it was.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 07:35 AM   #9
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd actually recommend Sunshine over Louise for beginners, as I think there is a larger variety of green runs (Strawberry and Wolverine chairs in particular, though there are also green runs off of Angel/Teepee Town, Standish and Wawa). You don't have to take the ski-out down if that makes you nervous - you can ride the gondola back down to the parking lot.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayedreflex View Post
I'd actually recommend Sunshine over Louise for beginners, as I think there is a larger variety of green runs (Strawberry and Wolverine chairs in particular, though there are also green runs off of Angel/Teepee Town, Standish and Wawa). You don't have to take the ski-out down if that makes you nervous - you can ride the gondola back down to the parking lot.
Are you a skier? Because for a beginner snowboarder Sunshine is awful as you can encounter too many flats, which are discouraging and exhausting.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you are new going to Sunshine or Lake Louise is straight up a waste, unless you can ski/board blue runs.

Do not go to those hills for greens, it is a waste of money.

COP or Nakiska is the better cost affective option, IMO.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #12
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
if you are new going to Sunshine or Lake Louise is straight up a waste, unless you can ski/board blue runs.

Do not go to those hills for greens, it is a waste of money.

COP or Nakiska is the better cost affective option, IMO.
COP is the best for learning, but he's staying in Canmore with his family, so no point in going there. Nakiska wouldn't be the worst.

If he's not price sensitive, Lake Louise is actually super awesome for learning because you can just post up on Wiwaxy and make a lot of progress on each run since the run is so long. It's also so wide that you never feel rushed or like you're in anybody's way. It also has the most breathtaking views, but obviously you pay for the privilege to be there so wouldn't blame him at all to choose a smaller hill.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:43 PM   #13
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Nakiska's main run is a pretty gentle decline and nice and wide open.
That's where I learned back in the day and that's where I'm taking my kids to learn as well.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:56 AM   #14
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you a skier? Because for a beginner snowboarder Sunshine is awful as you can encounter too many flats, which are discouraging and exhausting.
Agreed. Sunshine is a great hill to learn if you are a skiier. Nice wide open runs and good flats to get used to skiing when no one around.

If you're a snowboarder? Prepare to be tired out and fed up by lunchtime. My one snowboarding buddy who has been boarding for 2 decades straight up says the same thing to his newbie buddies to avoid Sunshine.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:23 PM   #15
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Haha good point, yes I only ski so never really thought about how much of a PITA the flat sections would be for snowboarders - I should have realized that avoiding flats was even written in the OP
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to delayedreflex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
bootsnixon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the advice. We're going to go to Norquay! Hope it's warmed up in the next week and a half. A funny thing about boarding, I find it easier on a steeper incline as it's pretty easy to hold an edge and you don't always need to do a correct turn and can just do one of those janky reverse direction turns if it gets a little hairy. It's those really gentle hills I hate (and flats). I'm not on edge and just kinda sliding down the hill with my board floating around and I'm waiting for it to grab an edge and hurl me to the ground.

Also, another shout out to Canyon!
Old 02-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #17
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Man, I miss Wintergreen.
Pigeon Mountain

On the trail of Alberta's lost ski hills
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...lost-ski-hills
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2021, 10:59 PM   #18
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Fortress brings back memories I haven't thought about in a long time. I was on their Skimeisters team for a few years. That lodge was great. Just walk out the door and put on your skis. I remember waxing up the cafeteria trays and taking them out on the ski runs at night!

I thought it was a great mountain for good skiers too. The runs off the Canadian chair were great mogul runs. Perfect fall line, and a good length to do it in one shot with a good leg burn by the end and no lines. I always felt like I got more hours of hard skiing in, in a day than anywhere else. There was a good OB hike up area as well, that if I remember right wasn't prohibited, just ski at your own risk.
Funny, neat story.

I too grew up at Fortress. So many memories; the wall, devils gulch, jumping off the far side chair.. etc; The tragic loss of life, of those 4 Western Canada high kids..

Anyway, as I've gotten older, I've been frequenting Japan annually. Of note, was a trip in '17 where me and some buddies stayed at Moiwa Lodge, near Niseko. So one evening, me and a my pals, are having pints in the lil pub within the lodge. We're chatting up the owners, a husband & wife. We start chatting more with the husband, who perks up hearing I grew up in Calgary. (my pals were from MB, and moved in their 20's). Turns out, he spent a season or two at Fortress, as part of some ski team he was on. Reminisced some with him.

He loved skiing then, and he shares it's what he returned to after his career, and bought this lodge. I ask what he did, and he shares he played cricket professionally, which was somewhat lost on us Canadian lads.

https://twitter.com/dirk_nannes

One of my other buds makes pow-sticks, and if you visit his lodge, will find one as a memento, right in the middle of the main timber wall.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post: