Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2024, 07:59 PM   #1
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Friedman: LTIR may be addressed in next CBA

As I said, I am sure many teams are not happy about teams using LTIR to build a super team in the playoffs. I still think the solution is easy, your lineup you ice in the playoffs must be cap compliant.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...r-in-next-cba/
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:01 PM   #2
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:03 PM   #3
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
As I said, I am sure many teams are not happy about teams using LTIR to build a super team in the playoffs. I still think the solution is easy, your lineup you ice in the playoffs must be cap compliant.

I 100% agree. I don't really care if the team's roster is over the cap as long as their lineup for each game is cap-compliant.

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Reign of Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 08:35 PM   #4
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
I 100% agree. I don't really care if the team's roster is over the cap as long as their lineup for each game is cap-compliant.

I would say that the team itself must always be cap compliant, but you can maintain a practice squad of players who are with the team physically, but the active roster must always be compliant.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:39 PM   #5
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

There is no point in having a salary cap if you can do what Vegas is doing.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 08:39 PM   #6
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:40 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
And Tampa.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 08:47 PM   #8
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of GMs brought it up?

Ain't dick going to be done about it.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:48 PM   #9
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
There is no point in having a salary cap if you can do what Vegas is doing.
There is a point to have it in the regular season. If you can make the playoffs without your full team, great.

What are they doing wrong? The salary cap is inapplicable in the playoffs. After years of seeing this, no one else wanted Hertl and Hanifin? Tough luck for them.

A couple teams figured it out and they’re winning, and most teams didn’t and they’re losing. Resourceful thinking wins.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 08:54 PM   #10
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
There is a point to have it in the regular season. If you can make the playoffs without your full team, great.

What are they doing wrong? The salary cap is inapplicable in the playoffs. After years of seeing this, no one else wanted Hertl and Hanifin? Tough luck for them.

A couple teams figured it out and they’re winning, and most teams didn’t and they’re losing. Resourceful thinking wins.
What are they doing wrong? Really? They are getting an unfair advantage due to players being injured before the trade deadline. How exactly do you think it's fair a team by chance can place players on LTIR while others whose stars stay healthy can't? In what universe is it fair in a league with a hard cap for some teams to be able to have such a huge advantage in the playoffs?
Old 03-10-2024, 08:56 PM   #11
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What are they doing wrong? Really? They are getting an unfair advantage due to players being injured before the trade deadline. How exactly do you think it's fair a team by chance can place players on LTIR while others whose stars stay healthy can't? In what universe is it fair in a league with a hard cap for some teams to be able to have such a huge advantage in the playoffs?
Players get injured every single season. They plan for it, and other teams don’t. It’s not as though they are playing by another set of rules. Anyone can do what they’re doing, they’re just smarter and more ruthless about winning.

You’re implicitly admitting that durability is an overrated skill with this CBA, which they’ve figured out.
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 08:58 PM   #12
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You may be right, it isn't fair... But the question is what are they doing wrong? The answer is they are doing nothing wrong until the rules are changed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 09:00 PM   #13
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Players get injured every single season. They plan for it, and other teams don’t. It’s not as though they are playing by another set of rules. Anyone can do what they’re doing, they’re just smarter and more ruthless about winning.

You’re implicitly admitting that durability is an overrated skill with this CBA, which they’ve figured out.
How very convenient that these ruthless teams with their perennial playoff ringers are the same ones with good weather and tax advantages and not like Minnesota or Columbus.

I wonder why that is.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 09:01 PM   #14
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The problem I have with that solution is, let’s say you’re a team that left a 2 million dollar buffer at the start of the season, you’d be able to add a big contract or two at the deadline. Only if you changed the rules, you wouldn’t be able to, because come playoffs, it’d add up to more than the salary cap figure. It would also basically end the trade deadline deals.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 09:02 PM   #15
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
This might be the most confusing thing i have ever read on this board.

You are suggesting your best players getting injured is an advantage and teams whose players stay healthy....are at a disadvantage of some sort?

Or am i interpreting it wrong?
Old 03-10-2024, 09:05 PM   #16
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

I fundamentally disagree.

I think your team that makes the playoffs should be more / less substantially the same team that plays the season or exits the season. The NHL already has an issue with two different sets of officiating between season and playoffs and so you make the differentiation even larger by allowing two different teams to compete for the Cup. Otherwise the NHL is really a two league system. A regular season system with a salary cap and then this other random tournament system with different rules and teams for the playoffs.

But isn’t the point of playoffs to determine the best team? Or are they actually just trying to have some gimmicky all-star tournament?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 09:06 PM   #17
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
How very convenient that these ruthless teams with their perennial playoff ringers are the same ones with good weather and tax advantages and not like Minnesota or Columbus.

I wonder why that is.
Then cut taxes I guess? Can’t do much about the weather.

Everyone’s darling team in a parking lot bordering Everglades National Park hasn’t won the Finals ever. In 30 years. It takes thought to read the CBA and use it to your advantage.

I don’t think it’s an accident they went after Eichel and Stone. Durability is overvalued with the way the rules are.

Last edited by butterfly; 03-10-2024 at 09:18 PM. Reason: I guess they did win a game
Old 03-10-2024, 09:11 PM   #18
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I fundamentally disagree.

I think your team that makes the playoffs should be more / less substantially the same team that plays the season or exits the season. The NHL already has an issue with two different sets of officiating between season and playoffs and so you make the differentiation even larger by allowing two different teams to compete for the Cup. Otherwise the NHL is really a two league system. A regular season system with a salary cap and then this other random tournament system with different rules and teams for the playoffs.

But isn’t the point of playoffs to determine the best team? Or are they actually just trying to have some gimmicky all-star tournament?
I agree that I’d like to see what you’re arguing should be the case, but since it isn’t the case, why get mad at Las Vegas for figuring it out and taking advantage of it?

The best team is figured out through an 82 game season, but people adore tournaments and think whoever wins one is actually better, and attribute it to all kinds of unquantifiable factors that never include random variation.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:13 PM   #19
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The tax thing has been pretty thoroughly debunked by Allan Walsh. A good accountant and you end up with more take home in every Canadian city over the California teams as an example. It has little to do with money.

Players taking discounts for cities like Vegas or New York is very likely more to do with weather, laser focus from the media/fans, and being in a desired market.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 09:17 PM   #20
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This might be the most confusing thing i have ever read on this board.

You are suggesting your best players getting injured is an advantage and teams whose players stay healthy....are at a disadvantage of some sort?

Or am i interpreting it wrong?
If you already have a strong roster it absolutely is. Who cares where you get into the playoffs position wise if you can add $20M worth of extra good players for your playoff run?