Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #3101
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I always enjoy these lists. I've played:
8 - Capilano
19 - Mt. Kidd
20 - Shaughnessy
24 - Big Sky
36 - Royal Colwood
55 - Tower Ranch
71 - Nicklaus North
80 - Mt Lorette
87 - Point Grey
109 - Whistler
124 - Silvertip

Only through this list did I realize I haven't played 117 - Vancouver GC, even though I've been there multiple times and know several members there. My course, Marine Drive, used to be on the list, but we choose not to participate in the rankings anymore. Our membership base does not appreciate the demands that Score Golf makes, nor do we like the ways they've conducted themselves in the past while at the course to rank it. As we're a private club, we don't really care what spot we'd be...

Curious what those demands that Score Golf makes. Free rounds and other perks? I didn't realize the courses put their names in for consideration.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #3102
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
Impressive list. Any stand out from your perspective? I really enjoyed the Ridge course at Predator. Helped I was golfing well.

Very excited to try Banff next week. Thanks again to FragileMind for posting that code.
I would have put Stewart Creek at the top of my list, and I was a member at Country Hills for a little bit so the Talons is one of my favourites even though I played it a lot before it was renovated.

I got to play Stewart Creek when it first opened and no one knew about it. Paid $50 for green fees and the course had sat growing in while it was in some sort of financial problem and was in the best shape I have ever seen any golf course.

I am surprised that Salmon Arm is not on that list.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #3103
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are your thoughts on men using a women's set of golf clubs?

A buddy of mine is an new beginner. He's taken golf lessons this year, been to the driving range a few times but hasn't got the golf course yet. He feels he isn't ready.

His current set of clubs are something he picked up on Kijiji for $25. They're all blades and they must be at least 20 years old lol.

Costco has Callaway edges for sale. The only catch is that they're women's clubs. I feel that they'd be good for him. He's 5'6. Doesn't really have a fast swing and really wants to play golf to enjoy it more. I think these clubs would work for his game, but he thinks that he should wait till a proper men's set is out.

https://www.costco.ca/callaway-edge-...100469947.html

What do y'all think?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #3104
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he's just going to feel crappy about them because they're women's clubs then they're not worth buying. Although they don't really look terribly woman's-club-ish.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #3105
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If he's just going to feel crappy about them because they're women's clubs then they're not worth buying. Although they don't really look terribly woman's-club-ish.
Do women's clubs come with an obvious identifier saying that they're "women's" club?

FWIW, Costco had the men's version for sale a few weeks back and the color scheme was identical to the women's set.

I think the women's set would be good as he's not a big bulky guy and these clubs are lighter and shorter.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #3106
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be more concerned about growing out of them quickly as he improves. I'd buy a set that would be able to be played longer. I don't think there is any actual issue playing them though.

For $700 you can probably find something better.

Last edited by Weitz; 07-22-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #3107
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I'd be more concerned about growing out of them quickly as he improves. I'd buy a set that would be able to be played longer. I don't think there is any actual issue playing them though.

For $700 you can probably find something better.
Any recommendations?

I suggested he go to golf traders to get a decent second hand set. I don't think he wants to spend any more than $700.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #3108
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Any recommendations?

I suggested he go to golf traders to get a decent second hand set. I don't think he wants to spend any more than $700.
That would be a good bet. Second hand is great for beginners. Or check out Golf Town, they always have a bunch of stuff on sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #3109
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

My current Irons I bought as a demo set at the end of the year. They were a year old model wise but a sweet deal. I wanna say like 1/2 price what the new models were off the shelf. I think I paid $399 and reg retail was $799? Anyways I got a great set of Calloways which were a huge upgrade from my Top Flights. And they will likely last me for 15 years.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #3110
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
That would be a good bet. Second hand is great for beginners. Or check out Golf Town, they always have a bunch of stuff on sale.
Yeah, we're planning to go to both places this weekend. Hopefully he finds something he likes.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #3111
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
My current Irons I bought as a demo set at the end of the year. They were a year old model wise but a sweet deal. I wanna say like 1/2 price what the new models were off the shelf. I think I paid $399 and reg retail was $799? Anyways I got a great set of Calloways which were a huge upgrade from my Top Flights. And they will likely last me for 15 years.
End of the year would be around September/October?

Old 07-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #3112
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
End of the year would be around September/October?

If they have stock of 2019 or 2018 irons still they are likely on sale right now. 2020 stuff is likely on sale after the courses close. Maybe earlier.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #3113
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

If he's brand new I would seriously consider starting with a set of used clubs.

Just some quick searching on Facebook marketplace for "iron set golf" you can find all sorts of decent to good brands for a decent price.

Hell if he's left handed I've got a set of Callaway burner irons in great shape I can get rid of in a week or two.

Edit: Demo clubs are another good option
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #3114
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think he has a preference for a full set, not just the irons. His current set of clubs are ancient and very unforgiving.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #3115
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A buddy of mine is an new beginner. He's taken golf lessons this year, been to the driving range a few times but hasn't got the golf course yet. He feels he isn't ready.

His current set of clubs are something he picked up on Kijiji for $25. They're all blades and they must be at least 20 years old lol.

Costco has Callaway edges for sale. The only catch is that they're women's clubs. I feel that they'd be good for him. He's 5'6. Doesn't really have a fast swing and really wants to play golf to enjoy it more. I think these clubs would work for his game, but he thinks that he should wait till a proper men's set is out.

What do y'all think?

I would suggest against it. Women's clubs are constructed for the physical attributes of women. They are normally shorter (3/4 of an inch per club), lighter (women's clubs are pretty well exclusively graphite shafts), and have a much more flexible shaft. This is all to account for the slower swing speed women are able to generate. While your friend is short, and could play the women's length, a man playing those would likely have a hard time controlling them with any level of consistency as men have a longer arch and generate way more swing speed. Get a set of men's clubs off the rack and have your friend learn how to hit them consistently.

I would recommend a set of game improvement cast irons, like the the Mizuno JPX series or the Taylormade SIM Max, or Callaway Mavrik. Once they have developed some proficiency with this set and can mark impact tape down to the size of a dime, then it will be time to move on to their next set and get more club. Forego the fitting at this time because for a fitting to have any impact you must have a consistent swing and striking the ball in the middle of the club face on 90% of your shots. I don't know how many players I've dealt with that burn through clubs and fittings because they swing like a rusty gate with one hinge. It ain't the arrow, its the archer. Learn to make solid consistent contact and you'll be able to play with a shovel, hoe, rake, and bat.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #3116
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone ever re-grip their clubs themselves? Just now learned you can remove/install grips using an air compressor, might give it a go this week. Save me $30 and looks kinda fun.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #3117
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:

What do y'all think?

On top of what's already been posted Women's Clubs have a much smaller diameter grip designed for smaller hands. I have small hands and my wife's clubs feel much too small in the grip.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #3118
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Location doesn't matter is a crazy take. Of course location matters. Can you put a pitch and putt in the mountains and call it great? of course not. But of course the scenery elevates a round of golf. Put a medium course in the rockies and call it better than medium? abso-****ing-lutely.
Hey, I responded to your PM. My tapatalk is acting funny. Let me know if you got the message. If not, I'll resend.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #3119
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Banff Springs was excellent today. For $99 that is probably one of the best golf experiences you can have.

Had a grizzly running straight at us on the 9th fairway until it abruptly turned and crossed the river.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #3120
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it was an excellent experience that narrowly avoided being a horrible nightmare?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow