Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #3141
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Isn’t that about 7800 yds from the back tees?! I’ve played the meadow and not the forest, but that’s what I thought was the case.

Why wasn’t anything open though? So bizarre.
It looked long! But we played the blues which is like 6600.

Sounded like a scheduling mix up and they didn’t have anyone scheduled to work the snack shack (you don’t go back to the clubhouse after 9). Luckily we know someone who lives off the 7th and they brought us some beers haha.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 02:01 PM   #3142
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It looked long! But we played the blues which is like 6600.

Sounded like a scheduling mix up and they didn’t have anyone scheduled to work the snack shack (you don’t go back to the clubhouse after 9). Luckily we know someone who lives off the 7th and they brought us some beers haha.
Yeah 7800 is too much for me. I’d like to try the Forest, but the blues sound more at my level.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #3143
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
Tobiano or The Rise? I’ve played Tobiano before.
Love Tobiano.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:07 PM   #3144
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah 7800 is too much for me. I’d like to try the Forest, but the blues sound more at my level.
In University I spent a summer working on the turf crew there and played the Forest course almost every week. It was a great experience.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:46 PM   #3145
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Forest is excellent. When we played it, we were the only people on the course. Perfect afternoon, 20 degrees, and no one else in sight. I love all the visual trickery from the tee boxes - things look way closer than they are. Really makes you think, challenging but not overly punishing. One of the best courses I’ve played.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #3146
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any recommendations for golf lessons in the city? I have a bad habit of connecting 5 inches behind the ball. youtube vids and the range aren't solving it still.

So far, I have next Thurs at Elbow Springs for $90 or 95 per lesson. seems like a better rate than the city courses. I'm open to suggestions! Probably looking for about 3 lessons in 3ish weeks.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:47 PM   #3147
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
The Forest is excellent. When we played it, we were the only people on the course. Perfect afternoon, 20 degrees, and no one else in sight. I love all the visual trickery from the tee boxes - things look way closer than they are. Really makes you think, challenging but not overly punishing. One of the best courses I’ve played.
My favorite holes were those two on the west edge furthest from the clubhouse by the snack shack. The par 3 with the huge sand trap and that par 4 or 5 afterwards. When I was there that hole after the par 3 had a massive tree right in the middle of the fairway that would really screw with your tee shot. I hit that tree so many times. But the club was talking about removing the tree and making it a wide open tee shot.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:35 PM   #3148
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bunkering on the last 6 holes is just absolutely top notch. The location of them makes for some really challenging decisions. Really genius design, honestly.
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #3149
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Any recommendations for golf lessons in the city? I have a bad habit of connecting 5 inches behind the ball. youtube vids and the range aren't solving it still.

So far, I have next Thurs at Elbow Springs for $90 or 95 per lesson. seems like a better rate than the city courses. I'm open to suggestions! Probably looking for about 3 lessons in 3ish weeks.
Give Wes Heffernan a call. He coaches my wife and son. Great coach and is a great ball striker.

https://www.dmgolfperformance.com/our-team.html
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #3150
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally received my new irons after going for a fitting at Modern Golf.

I played Canyon Meadows last week with my old irons and shot an 82... new irons yesterday.... 101.

I haven't shot over 100 in years, absolutely nothing worked, I couldn't hit anything and even the odd good shot just felt ... not good.

I have the worst buyers remorse right now.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #3151
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Finally received my new irons after going for a fitting at Modern Golf.

I played Canyon Meadows last week with my old irons and shot an 82... new irons yesterday.... 101.

I haven't shot over 100 in years, absolutely nothing worked, I couldn't hit anything and even the odd good shot just felt ... not good.

I have the worst buyers remorse right now.
Took me a year to be able to consistently hit my fitted clubs. Really not sure why.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #3152
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Golfed today and legit lost 40-50 yards off all my drives. Usually pound town off the tee, but it was just gone today. No idea wtf was going on.

Stupid golf lol
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #3153
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
My favorite holes were those two on the west edge furthest from the clubhouse by the snack shack. The par 3 with the huge sand trap and that par 4 or 5 afterwards. When I was there that hole after the par 3 had a massive tree right in the middle of the fairway that would really screw with your tee shot. I hit that tree so many times. But the club was talking about removing the tree and making it a wide open tee shot.

The tree is indeed gone, but wide open it is not. Two bunkers pinching the fairway, with one having a big catchers mitt sticking to the middle of the fairway ready to ruin the day of anybody who can't carry about 250 yards.

For the 10-20 handicap golfer the course probably plays easier from the tips than it does the blues. Puts the fairway bunkers out of reach from the tee and forces people to layup on their approach rather than trying to stick a mid-iron onto the greens since pretty much every one is a forced carry so I don't think the GIR stats would change.

Last edited by Roughneck; 08-01-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #3154
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
The tree is indeed gone, but wide open it is not. Two bunkers pinching the fairway, with one having a big catchers mitt sticking to the middle of the fairway ready to ruin the day of anybody who can't carry about 250 yards.

For the 10-20 handicap golfer the course probably plays easier from the tips than it does the blues. Puts the fairway bunkers out of reach from the tee and forces people to layup on their approach rather than trying to stick a mid-iron onto the greens since pretty much every one is a forced carry.
As someone who falls in that range and was playing the blues. There were quite a few thoughts of “that seems like a perfectly placed bunker...”
Old 08-01-2020, 08:08 PM   #3155
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As someone who falls in that range and was playing the blues. There were quite a few thoughts of “that seems like a perfectly placed bunker...”
I had that same thought when I played Banff Springs for the first time two weeks ago. The placement of the sand traps there seemed perfect for my shots and was eating up my balls. My second round last week was significantly better as I could place my shots and avoid the sand. Any sort of miss hit at Banff Springs seems to end up in a sand trap.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #3156
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I was in 20 bunkers at Banff Springs.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #3157
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Banff Springs, and other Golden Age course designs, also have tee boxes that aim you to a bunker or hazard, rather than to the best landing zone. Just one of those ways architects would mess with your minds when you're trying to line a shot up (since you typically like to square up with the tee box).
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:26 AM   #3158
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Played shuswap national and shot 38 47. Man is there some really stupid holes on that course

Last edited by EverfresH15; 08-02-2020 at 01:42 PM.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #3159
ShotDownInFlames12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Banff Springs have a new rate special for August. 129 w/ cart now instead of 99 and book after 2pm. Monday-thurs

Promo code augspecial
ShotDownInFlames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #3160
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Took me a year to be able to consistently hit my fitted clubs. Really not sure why.
That's........ not encouraging, thanks Weitz.

Yeah I was completely baffled, I hit one green in regulation and that's usually my strength.... was skulling everything.

Oh well, "Golf".
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow