Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mattresses

Anyone bought a high-end mattress in Calgary lately? Whenever I notice the ads anywhere, they say "50% off". Is this a gimmick? How can something be always 50% off, unless that's the real price?

Please share your shopping experience. Which brand and model did you buy?
  • Where did you buy it?
  • Was the price firm for what you wanted, or was it more like buying from a used car dealer?
  • Are you happy with your mattress now?
Thank you.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Anyone bought a high-end mattress in Calgary lately? Whenever I notice the ads anywhere, they say "50% off". Is this a gimmick? How can something be always 50% off, unless that's the real price?

Please share your shopping experience. Which brand and model did you buy?
  • Where did you buy it?
  • Was the price firm for what you wanted, or was it more like buying from a used car dealer?
  • Are you happy with your mattress now?
Thank you.
Picked up a mattress from Sleep Country about 4 years ago. It was a Kingsdown, can't remember the exact model. Paid around $1800 and there was some wiggle room but not a whole lot. There might be some deals for boxing day. The mattress itself was (and still is) great. My advice would be to shop around, take your time and try them out before buying
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know someone that works in the hotel industry and right now, because it is a slow time, a lot of them are replacing beds and stuff like that. He said that he could get me a wholesale price if I ordered it from him. That's in Ottawa of course, but if you know anyone in Calgary connected, it might be worth looking in to.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, I do, actually, but I doubt the savings would be worth the logistics hassles of asking for a favour. We will buy from a local store, as we would need the new mattress delivered and the old one removed.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a pair of mattresses from the bay. Stearns and Foster. They were about 1700 with the bed frame each, and it has been a few months and they are both very good. Really like it thus far.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just bought a mattress from Sleep Country in Market Mall. Great experience, tested out a ton. Decided on a Sealy Posturpedic and was around $1600 with box spring. Was normally $2600.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #7
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

This was very enlightening

Old 12-26-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no doubts this is all true. Mattress industry advertising always smells and feels like scam. The same mattresses under different model names is a well-known old trick.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #9
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That "Adam Ruins Everything" clip was indeed enlightening. I tried recently to do some Google research on mattresses and it lead me nowhere especially when I tried to find comparable pricing on mattresses between retailers. Thanks for posting.
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to store.
Lay on mattress.
Find one that you like.
Negotiate to price you are happy or look for one elsewhere.

What else is there to mattress shopping?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 09:25 PM   #11
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Similar to,others we bought ours at the bay about 5 or so years ago. I believe we paid $1,800 for a matte rest and box spring. I believe it is a sealy.

My recommendation would be go king size if possible. Much more comfortable for two people. It works well if we are both laying vertically or horizontally......
Old 12-26-2018, 09:27 PM   #12
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Story time: a few years back it was time for me to upgrade my old mattress and I decided I wanted to go through Sears. I try to earn Air Miles on as many purchases I can, and at the time Sears was one of the shops you could earn from if you shopped online through the AM portal. Anyway, I went in, tested a bunch, came home, waited for a sale, then bought through the online portal.

I too wanted my old mattress removed and called to make sure they offered that service on delivery, which they did. What they didn't tell me, was that my old mattress had to be bagged up in a mattress bag or they wouldn't take it for sanitary reasons. The big day arrived, the new mattress came, and I happily watched it all get brought in and set up. Then, the guys started to leave. Wait!, I said. You gotta take the old one too. Nope, not unless it's bagged.

The guys wouldn't wait for me to bag it in the bags the new one had just came in, and insisted I just bag it up on my own time, call back Sears, and arrange for a pick up the following week. I didn't really have much of a choice, so that's what I did.

It took a few calls and a bit of confusion from some Sears reps, but they set me up with a date and time, and eventually 2 new guys came to get my old mattress. First guy: 'sign here'. Me: 'no problem,*signs*. Second guy: 'Where's the mattress?'; Me: 'right outside the front door, you walked past it on your way in'. 'But that's an old mattress'; 'Yep, the one that didn't get taken away a few weeks ago'. 'Oh, I thought you were returning the new one. Ok then, we'll load it up, see you later'. 'Cool'.

What was really cool tho? When I checked my bank statement a few weeks later and saw the full refund for the new mattress on my card. Not sure what I signed, but I imagine it was the refund paperwork, and somehow there was a mixup and it never got fixed after they took the old one instead. Because of the lack of info provided to me on getting my old one taken away originally; the hassle of having a second mattress in my small condo for 2 weeks; and the confusion on the Sears reps' part when trying to get it taken away, I decided the world owed me a free mattress and I'd just deal with not having a warranty should anything ever happen. Then Sears went belly up. My bad.

The moral of the story: maybe don't bag up your old mattress if you want to try and get a free mattress out of it after a few weeks of hassle.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #13
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

We bought a mattress from the internet - Novosbed. I cant recommend it enough.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:17 PM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Similar to,others we bought ours at the bay about 5 or so years ago. I believe we paid $1,800 for a matte rest and box spring. I believe it is a sealy.

My recommendation would be go king size if possible. Much more comfortable for two people. It works well if we are both laying vertically or horizontally......
I have had a king size for years. The only issue is that you can never go back to a smaller bed after that. Once you have that comfort, it's like going back to the stone age if you try sleeping on another bed.... at least for me.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #15
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I recommend https://blacksheepmattress.com

- local Calgary company
- manufactured in Calgary
- top quality components and construction
- costs $$$
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 08:53 PM   #16
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We bought an Intellibed (gel bed) about 10 years ago. It was about $6000 them. I think they are in the $9000 region now. The very best investment. Just the best bed. The store was/is in Deerfoot Meadows. Highly recommend.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #17
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
We bought an Intellibed (gel bed) about 10 years ago. It was about $6000 them. I think they are in the $9000 region now. The very best investment. Just the best bed. The store was/is in Deerfoot Meadows. Highly recommend.

6000 on a bed? Nice.

Can I borrow have some money?
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #18
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
6000 on a bed? Nice.

Can I borrow have some money?
No. I spent all my money on my bed.....

Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #19
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well I did work for the big guys for many years in sales, management and inside and 99.9% of it is all true. Haggling is my my number 1 pc of advice. If you don't get what you like go to another location and start over until you get your deal. Yes there are only a few mfg now and many just have different names. Truth also be told some retailers will also have things removed or leave them with only minimal layer so they can tell you it's in there even though in a miniscule amount.

Bottom line is the video has more truth than you think even though U.S. Based it is virtually the same here.
Also make sure the bed works for your comfort no matter what you spend. If the 8k bed like I sleep in doesn't work for you and the 2k one does but the lesser amount. Don't go cheap either or your comfort will suffer real soon after and you will be complaining and should not be because you got what you paid for.

After an almost 20 year career there I enjoy a different gig now.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2018, 12:43 AM   #20
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
This was very enlightening

F...

that was a creepy last 5 seconds as i wasnt expecting that from how whimsical the whole video was
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote