Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #2001
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Apparently the new Artemis Fowl movie is "impressively terrible," which only wants to make me see it even more. It's been released straight to Disney+, which says a lot.
Yeah I received a Disney+ advert of that...in the mail.

I wonder how it compares to Eragon on how terrible it is haha
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:08 AM   #2002
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Yeah I received a Disney+ advert of that...in the mail.

I wonder how it compares to Eragon on how terrible it is haha
Well...I know nothing of this movie but I checked IMDB and its rocking a solid 3.3 at the moment which is an emphatic 'Woof.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #2003
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently the new Artemis Fowl movie is "impressively terrible," which only wants to make me see it even more. It's been released straight to Disney+, which says a lot.
Regardless of quality, I find it fascinating that they apparently made Artemis Fowl an unambigiously good guy.

I mean, the main thing that makes Artemis Fowl unique among YA literature is that even though he's the protagonist, he's a criminal mastermind who spends a lot of time doing clearly bad, criminal things for selfish reasons.

It's kind of like making a Harry Potter movie but Harry is not a wizard, or a Hunger Games movies but Katniss isn't one of the district champions.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #2004
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Regardless of quality, I find it fascinating that they apparently made Artemis Fowl an unambigiously good guy.

I mean, the main thing that makes Artemis Fowl unique among YA literature is that even though he's the protagonist, he's a criminal mastermind who spends a lot of time doing clearly bad, criminal things for selfish reasons.

It's kind of like making a Harry Potter movie but Harry is not a wizard, or a Hunger Games movies but Katniss isn't one of the district champions.
Harry was a villain. Any sorcery council with anything resembling an IQ north of room temperature would have slit Harry's throat on Day 1.

I want another Harry Potter movie. Where its just Hermione going through the entire Wizarding World eliminating the wildly incompetent and useless people.

She was the only one who put in the work and any good at anything. That is an organization in dire need of a shake-up.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #2005
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think the difference between Lance and the baseball guys is not everyone in baseball was cheating.

The part of the Doc where he is listing guys from different countries where they cheated but 1 would still be working with no problems and another was a pariah, was a great segment I thought.

I really enjoyed the Doc.

Now this weekends 30 for 30 is going to be awesome too..'Long Gone Summer' about Sosa and McGuire and that era.
The real difference between baseball and cycling is baseball, while turning a blind eye didn't actually insist on doping as the only way you get to take part in the sport, people seem to forget why we found out about Armstrong, because the Festina (I think) team drug van got caught by the Belgium police taking the backroads to avoid the occasional customs checks as it drove into France, the subsequent scandal revealed that doping in cycling was done on a team basis, not individuals, and was fully approved of by the sports organizers, they had to be dragged into testing kicking and screaming, they clearly tipped off the teams to circumvent testing.

The closest analogy to a pro cyclist doping would be an East German weightlifter in the 70's, you wanted to ride a bike in the Tour you doped (probably still have too to be frank) it is a sport that has always embraced drug use by riders teams and has always been enabled by a governing body that did not want drug use curtailed.

I do not believe there has ever, in over a century, been a clean winner of the Tour, to this day, as Jacques Anquetil said (5 times Tour winner in the late 50's and 60's) 'leave me alone, everybody dopes'
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #2006
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ad Astra. What the hell. The premise is so convoluted.

Spoiler!
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #2007
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching it now, why didn't they just call it Apocalypse Bladerunner, a Space Odyssey?
Old 06-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #2008
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched The King of Staten Island tonight. Fantastic movie!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #2009
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The half of it on Netflix

Fantastic movie.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 11:46 PM   #2010
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Ad Astra. What the hell. The premise is so convoluted.

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Old 06-14-2020, 01:46 AM   #2011
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #2012
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many dumb things about Ad Astra, I was assuming the thing would be set in some future global conflict, after all why or how else would their be electric jeep battles on the moon or trained killer mutant space Gibbons? who the hell would think that an idea as dumb as the only thing I could come up with was still far less dumb than the mess that the film was!
Old 06-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #2013
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Watched The King of Staten Island tonight. Fantastic movie!
For the self indulgent 2 h 16 run time, I had high expectations.

It found it to be a bit of a mess. Scott was quite unlikeable, and they established his irresponsibility in the first scene, being a 24 year old behaving like a 16 year old

I understand it is semi autobiographical. Pete Davidson has a goofy likeability which has taken him far, as he is not a very versatile cast member

Lucky Judd Apatow took an interest in him
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:09 PM   #2014
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
For the self indulgent 2 h 16 run time, I had high expectations.

It found it to be a bit of a mess. Scott was quite unlikeable, and they established his irresponsibility in the first scene, being a 24 year old behaving like a 16 year old

I understand it is semi autobiographical. Pete Davidson has a goofy likeability which has taken him far, as he is not a very versatile cast member

Lucky Judd Apatow took an interest in him
Pete Davidson has been extremely lucky when it comes to people taking an interest in him
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 11:28 PM   #2015
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:
Icon56

Quote:
Watched it tonight with the family, didn’t think it was terrible. But I haven’t read the book.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:25 AM   #2016
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Pete Davidson has been extremely lucky when it comes to people taking an interest in him
You have to give him credit as for a guy with very little talent he's stretched himself really far.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #2017
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You have to give him credit as for a guy with very little talent he's stretched himself really far.
I thought he played his part quite well in this movie. My wife wasn't a big fan though so maybe its a to each their own.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #2018
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought he played his part quite well in this movie. .

Watch him in any SNL sketch and he's terrible, but in this movie he's playing a slightly exaggerated version of himself, so his performance seems very natural and effortless. Same reason why his bits on Weekend Update are always so much better/funnier than his sketch work.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #2019
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Kate Beckinsale *cough* *cough*
Old 06-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #2020
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Kate Beckinsale *cough* *cough*
And Ariana Grande!

Even on my Twitter feed, the odd random time he comes up, there's women in my TL swooning about him, I don't get it. Like good work if you can get it obviously, so attaboy to him. I just think I'm able to see beauty in a man with some of these guys who get that kind of attention, and I ain't seeing at all with him haha. I'll never understand that one
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post: