Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #201
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished the last episode. For me this show is a bit of a dud. If they had started with this show instead of The Walking Dead, it would have been cancelled by now. I just don't find it that interesting.

The water thing is kind of interesting but I will wait for better reviews before tuning into season 2.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #202
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was what it was. It wasn't really a terrible show but it wasn't really an amazing show either, but I don't think many expected it to be. There were a few things I wish they did different but all in all, it was still watchable.

And do all the people who are complaining about minor details about the show not being realistic, watch documentaries. The show is fiction, it doesn't claim to be real, realistic or even believable. If you're going to watch fiction TV, the best thing to do is to submit to the world of fiction and try not to nit pick on minor details of the show. While watching fiction shows, if minor details that aren't realistic make you not enjoy the show then the best thing to do is not to watch fiction shows.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #203
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show missed out by not delving deeper into what happened between when they tried to first leave the neighbourhood until the military put the fence up, etc. I think that's the show most of us wanted to see.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #204
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Well that is a lot to ask for 6 episodes lol.

It seems clear to me they did 6 episodes as a two fold strategy, a prologue to the series which will truly begin in S2 which I doubt will be any less than 10 episodes.

And more likely that the executives gave it a shot, funding 6 episodes to see if this could have the potential to succeed since they would love to have another success story like the Walking Dead.

The finale is what we can expect I think more of in S2, everything before the finale was to introduce us to this universe and its characters.

If they had 10 episodes for S1, I'd agree, they needed to delve deeper, but alas that was not in their plans nor budget it seems.

So I'm quite happy with what we got for such a short intro to the series, and am really interested to see where they take it in season 2.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #205
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Just finished the last episode. For me this show is a bit of a dud. If they had started with this show instead of The Walking Dead, it would have been cancelled by now. I just don't find it that interesting.

The water thing is kind of interesting but I will wait for better reviews before tuning into season 2.
TWD had excellent source material to work from. This is new stuff by studio writers. The difference shows big time.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #206
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Well that is a lot to ask for 6 episodes lol.
Not really. I also wasn't expecting them to get this far into the apocalypse. We are past the points of the breakdown of society, as well as being past the point of the breakdown of the military control. (Which we saw evidence of in TWD; especially in the Atlanta scenes.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:17 AM   #207
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

They pretty much had to leave us wanting more with an ending like that though.

I really suspect they asked for 10 episodes, got 6 after begging for that.

But look at how many people complained about how slow and boring the start was. Clearly people want more of what the finale had, than the previous 5 which I would have loved to have seen 4 more of those with an explosive finale to get people to become excited about S2.

Last edited by Thor; 10-07-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #208
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that I think I missed and am not clear on is if they were planning to euthanize the whole community anyway, why did they remove all the sick or weak people and bring them to another compound?

I had trouble becoming immersed into this series, so I know I must have missed some plot elements along the way. Another thing that I might have missed, but are these military guys still part of the US military and under central command, or are they a rogue unit robbing an pillaging? They seemed really unprofessional.

I agree that there haven't been enough horror elements for my liking. I guess the Georgia woods are more conducive for it than sunny California.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #209
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
TWD had excellent source material to work from. This is new stuff by studio writers. The difference shows big time.
You nailed it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #210
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The scenarios do feel more contrived and formulaic ,and less organic for sure.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #211
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Apparently the show suffers from serious budget issues. They couldn't afford the effects to show zombies from the crowd being obliterated.
Yeah you could tell the budget was small from the crappy cgi.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #212
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first episode started out really strong, then collapsed into boring boredom of borefest before an OK finish.

I think I really just don't like any of the characters. At least half of them are so boring to listen to talk. And I understand poor decision making in a zombie show, but WTF was buddy thinking swimming through zombies to maybe help someone when Captain grumpy-pants has already made it clear he isn't interested.

Hoo-hoo, big twist, the guy on the radio teenage girl is talking to is going to be the bad guy! Didn't peg that in the first 2 seconds...

I'll keep watching this show because I hate myself, but I wish they would give me a better reason.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #213
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The first episode started out really strong, then collapsed into boring boredom of borefest before an OK finish.

I think I really just don't like any of the characters. At least half of them are so boring to listen to talk. And I understand poor decision making in a zombie show, but WTF was buddy thinking swimming through zombies to maybe help someone when Captain grumpy-pants has already made it clear he isn't interested.

Hoo-hoo, big twist, the guy on the radio teenage girl is talking to is going to be the bad guy! Didn't peg that in the first 2 seconds...

I'll keep watching this show because I hate myself, but I wish they would give me a better reason.
Initially I had no idea what you were talking about and then I realized that this is the 'Fear the Walking Dead' thread and that I actually have no idea what you're talking about.

Have they fed the zombies the junkie yet? I'd have sacrificed the junkie early.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #214
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The single plus I see for this show is that they are venturing to different settings in the air and ocean compared to TWD which happens in the exact same setting of Georgia. I will give this show another try but they better start making one or two of the main characters somewhat likeable or I don't know if I will be able to maintain a vested interest as it was pretty tough sitting through of a one hour show about people you dislike.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #215
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Naw, he's bound to be a keeper, but he is the dumbass who went swimming with zombies...well ,to chase the other dumbass emo kid who went for a swim to kill himself. Should have let him go. He sucks.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #216
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They already blew their chance to have cool celebrity cameo walkers in LA. A Zombie Danny Devito, The Rock or Pamela Anderson would have been awesome. These shows need to not take themselves so seriously. Have some fun with it.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #217
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Naw, he's bound to be a keeper, but he is the dumbass who went swimming with zombies...well ,to chase the other dumbass emo kid who went for a swim to kill himself. Should have let him go. He sucks.
That emo kid is still alive? Dammit. Who has died?

Quote:
They already blew their chance to have cool celebrity cameo walkers in LA. A Zombie Danny Devito, The Rock or Pamela Anderson would have been awesome. These shows need to not take themselves so seriously. Have some fun with it.
Totally agree. Honestly, I think I watched 4 of the 6 episodes and I just couldnt get into the Characters. People complain about character development in the Walking Dead? Have they seen this show?

Compared to this show the Walking Dead is the Mona Lisa.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #218
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Emo kid's mom, and the old crusty guy's wife. Also boring characters, so it is a start.

I was kinda hoping the end of season one would be them punking the audience, killing the whole cast and starting over with something like, "you didn't think we'd actually plan for a whole series based on these boring codgers, did ya?" So another missed opportunity.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #219
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Emo kid's mom, and the old crusty guy's wife. Also boring characters, so it is a start.

I was kinda hoping the end of season one would be them punking the audience, killing the whole cast and starting over with something like, "you didn't think we'd actually plan for a whole series based on these boring codgers, did ya?" So another missed opportunity.
I was hoping that they make their way to Georgia and get bitten so we can watch Rick and the gang cave their skulls in followed promptly by a:

"We're sorry about that, we promise we'll do better next time."

From the producers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 01:38 PM   #220
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are two half-way decent characters, the black guy who captains the ship, and the old Latino guy whose wife got killed (sorry, names escape me right now). Everyone else is either dull, forgettable, or brain dead.

Still, this whole 'zombies at sea' concept is a bit interesting, I'll keep watching it for a while.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: