Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-04-2020, 08:34 PM   #601
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Anybody done Prairie Mtn and come back down along Prairie Creek? Wonder how well Prairie Creek path is marked?
Finding where to leave the ridge and enter the trees a little tricky though usually there are a few small Carins identifying where to descend. Once in the trees it’s a fairly clear trail for a boot beaten path.

For someone with a little sense of direction it would be difficult to get lost as down leads you to Prairie creek and up back up the mountain. Though there are places where going way off trail would lead to areas that are too steep to descend.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:11 PM   #602
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
After years of putting it off I have to say that Crypt is well worth the hike and it's spot on National Geographic's list. Just a beautiful hike through and through. I got lucky and onto the first cruise which left 15 minutes early. Got soaked on the trail going up thanks to the previous nights rain but never felt as though there was anyone around. The chains really were useless and you are just fine hanging onto the rock. Take your time at the lake and find a great spot to relax, swim and possibly enter the USA illegally.

Be bear aware on the way down too. I finally met my first Grizzly on this hike. I would like to not do that again. Finally before you start your hike make sure to stash some beers in the water for when you are done. It was the best reward
Super excited for this! How long did it take you to get up and down? Like was there a rush to catch the ferry or anything?

I plan on entering the US illegally, just because.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:28 AM   #603
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Super excited for this! How long did it take you to get up and down? Like was there a rush to catch the ferry or anything?

The ferry captain always tells you they will leave without you, but I not not sure if this is true. We have always gotten back in time, but I you have enough time to get to Crypt Lake, circle around it, and check out Hell Roaring Falls on the way back down.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #604
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

Took me about 2.5 going up and in no rush. Just over 2 hours on the way down with my Grizzly encounter. That might have sped me up though. If you can get your ferry tickets the day before it makes it easier. The line up on a slower Sunday was 35 deep by 8am. Saturdays have seen crowds north of 50 by that time lately.

The ferry will not leave people as they count tickets and of course worry about people being injured, but be down by 5 and you have plenty of time. It's a long day as is.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #605
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Finding where to leave the ridge and enter the trees a little tricky though usually there are a few small Carins identifying where to descend. Once in the trees it’s a fairly clear trail for a boot beaten path.

For someone with a little sense of direction it would be difficult to get lost as down leads you to Prairie creek and up back up the mountain. Though there are places where going way off trail would lead to areas that are too steep to descend.

The family was a little hot, decided to just do the Elbow Falls/Riverview Loop from Paddy Flats. Not very exciting.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #606
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The family was a little hot, decided to just do the Elbow Falls/Riverview Loop from Paddy Flats. Not very exciting.
If you want an easier really neat hike in the area Nahahi Canyon is really cool. It starts at little elbow and the end of highway 66. You go about 5k down the fire road then hike up about 1km with about 100m of elevation gain. Then you get to go down a cool little slot canyon.

The best way to do it is bike the fire road to Nahahi creek then hike up.

https://hikingwithbarry.com/2010/04/...hiking-alberta
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #607
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you want an easier really neat hike in the area Nahahi Canyon is really cool. It starts at little elbow and the end of highway 66. You go about 5k down the fire road then hike up about 1km with about 100m of elevation gain. Then you get to go down a cool little slot canyon.

The best way to do it is bike the fire road to Nahahi creek then hike up.

https://hikingwithbarry.com/2010/04/...hiking-alberta

I feel like I have done that before. I have done a few hikes in the area, but should do more since it’s so close. Tempted to try and camp there. Not busy at all today. Was a little worried about bears. There was a warning around Sulphur Springs, but didn’t see anything. Just get my bear spray close by.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:51 AM   #608
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was at Lake O'Hara on the weekend and the buses are not running due to Covid. That means you have to hike up the 11km road to get to the campground. But that also meant that on Saturday I saw a total of 6 other people on the trail and on Sunday I saw none. The campground is still relatively full and surprisingly there are still some people coming up the road for the day hike, but otherwise the area is as good as it will probably ever be for hiking. And the hikes there are spectacular.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:02 AM   #609
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m headed out to do the Elbow Lake Loop today. Hoping for nice swim this afternoon!

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #610
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did Rawson Lake today. Really enjoyed it. Just getting into hiking this year after a couple knee surgeries. We thought about doing Upper Kananaskis Lake but decided to do Rawson instead.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #611
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Y'all's cameras broken?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #612
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, CP... I need your help. I just started dating a girl who is, to put it mildly, out of my league. She wants to go for a hike on Sunday, but hasn't decided where to go (and it's not all that clear to me that she has any better knowledge of regional hiking trails than I do, which is to say, I have google).

I want to suggest a nice, scenic trail that has some spots where we could stop and take in the view, won't take all day, and nothing excessively strenuous, because I'm not necessarily in trail running shape (to put it mildly again) and would rather not look like I'm being roasted over a pit.

My future happiness is in your hands. Where would you all suggest we go?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #613
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Alright, CP... I need your help. I just started dating a girl who is, to put it mildly, out of my league. She wants to go for a hike on Sunday, but hasn't decided where to go (and it's not all that clear to me that she has any better knowledge of regional hiking trails than I do, which is to say, I have google).

I want to suggest a nice, scenic trail that has some spots where we could stop and take in the view, won't take all day, and nothing excessively strenuous, because I'm not necessarily in trail running shape (to put it mildly again) and would rather not look like I'm being roasted over a pit.

If you don’t mind going to Nordegg, Coliseum mountain was a nice easy hike. I had never done a summit before and it was easy peasy. Great views too, though you almost feel like you’re not quite in the mountains. All walking, no hands required.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:04 PM   #614
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Mount Temple has great views.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 10:24 PM   #615
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think you could do Jumpingpound Ridge. It's a short hour uphill to a big open meadow with surprising views and enough space to get lost for a bit away from people. It's a relatively short drive, an hour and ten minutes from Calgary but the last 15 minutes is on a rougher gravel road. So don't take a car you would be worried about going over bumps or getting dusty. Girls hate it when boys are whiny about their cars. Also if you walk down the ridge towards the north there's a pretty little tarn to top off the view.

If you want to do something a bit more chill I'd go to the Bird of Prey Sanctuary in Coaldale and do the hawk walk. That looks cool. It's not really a hike so gets you off the hook and another week to get in shape for the hike that will eventually happen. And you'll look like a hero for caring about wildlife,

But if you want the coup de grasse, the hail mary with the guaranteed immaculate reception, the slam dunk, book Sunday dinner at Engadine Lodge. From there, hike to Tryst Lake. It's a really short hike up to a lake named for its accommodation of secret lovers getting away from the world. If the dining room is full Sunday, plan on getting back from the hike at 3pm for tea and cookies. Or just book a room for the night. Your deal will be sealed.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 PM   #616
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

How far do you want to drive?

The best two half day hikes in Alberta are Helen lake and Wilcox pass. Both are a little far for a day trip. Wilcox pass is at the ice fields. Helen lake is about 20 min past lake Louise.

The best hike right now is Johnson Canyon / Ink pots. Normally it’s riddled with tourists but right now if you get there before 10 at Castle mountain, bike 6k to the Johnson canyon parking lot then hike the canyon in solitude and have the whole falls to yourself. If you or her have ever hiked it when busy this is a whole new experience. Then you go to the ink pots which is a bit of a boring hike but leads to an open river valley that is a great place for lunch.

I love Nahahi Creek / canyon described above because it’s so different.

You also can’t really go wrong with any of the Kananaskis lakes. Chester, Rummel, Rawson, ptarmigan cirque (not a lake). Burstall Pass is also nice for a little longer if you prefer a pass.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #617
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome suggestions, thanks! Let me see if I can narrow it down a bit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
If you don’t mind going to Nordegg, Coliseum mountain was a nice easy hike.
I think that's probably going to be too far away. Another time, maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Mount Temple has great views.
Stop trying to kill me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think you could do Jumpingpound Ridge. It's a short hour uphill to a big open meadow with surprising views and enough space to get lost for a bit away from people. It's a relatively short drive, an hour and ten minutes from Calgary but the last 15 minutes is on a rougher gravel road.
This sounds good, but the gravel road might be an issue because the only car I'm driving right now is the Porsche and that's not really a great idea. It's possible that she'll want to drive, but I think better to find something easy access.
Quote:
If you want to do something a bit more chill I'd go to the Bird of Prey Sanctuary in Coaldale and do the hawk walk. That looks cool.
It does. I do think she's got her mind set on the hike thing and that's a pretty long drive to get to, but it's definitely something I'll keep in mind for the future.
Quote:
But if you want the coup de grasse, the hail mary with the guaranteed immaculate reception, the slam dunk, book Sunday dinner at Engadine Lodge. From there, hike to Tryst Lake. It's a really short hike up to a lake named for its accommodation of secret lovers getting away from the world. If the dining room is full Sunday, plan on getting back from the hike at 3pm for tea and cookies. Or just book a room for the night. Your deal will be sealed.
Hah, that would indeed be a hail mary, but we're not there yet. Also recent reviews seem to suggest that that trail's in a bit of rough shape at the moment. I'd like to avoid bushwhacking.
Quote:
How far do you want to drive?
I was thinking something in the hour to hour and a half drive range at most - she did mention bringing her park pass which suggests that type of range.
Quote:
The best two half day hikes in Alberta are Helen lake and Wilcox pass. Both are a little far for a day trip. Wilcox pass is at the ice fields. Helen lake is about 20 min past lake Louise.
Helen Lake is rated as difficult, but then I read people posting under that and they say intermediate. But I'd rather keep it even easier than that, honestly, if I have a choice. How long is Wilcox? I'm having trouble finding something consistent about that. One site said 6 hours which is probably a bit longer than ideal.
Quote:
The best hike right now is Johnson Canyon / Ink pots. Normally it’s riddled with tourists but right now if you get there before 10 at Castle mountain, bike 6k to the Johnson canyon parking lot then hike the canyon in solitude and have the whole falls to yourself. If you or her have ever hiked it when busy this is a whole new experience. Then you go to the ink pots which is a bit of a boring hike but leads to an open river valley that is a great place for lunch.
This sounds amazing, and now that you've pointed it out I want to do it regardless of who I go with, but I think the bike part rules it out for this weekend. I didn't get the impression she's a big cycling enthusiast.
Quote:
You also can’t really go wrong with any of the Kananaskis lakes. Chester, Rummel, Rawson, ptarmigan cirque (not a lake). Burstall Pass is also nice for a little longer if you prefer a pass.
I've done a couple of these in the past and been generally pleased... I'll have a look at the others.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:41 PM   #618
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man. I remember going to Johnston Canyon at Xmas one year. It was practically a skating rink on the way down to towards the falls. I was surprised no one slipped and slid under the railings and fell their deaths.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:08 AM   #619
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wilcox to the first view point is about 45 minutes of steep hiking. Then about another 45 min to the pass. From the pass you can turn around and go back to the car and have done an excellent day hike. To the top of the pass is 4km 355m elevation which even a fairly out of shape hiker will do in 2 hours.

Or from the pass you head north up another bump onto the shoulder of mount Wilcox another half hour or so to the best view point and if you are a scrambler can continue all the way up Mount Wilcox. Alternatively if you have a car shuttle which you wouldn’t you can keep going past Wilcox pass and come out at tangle falls on the other side of the ice fields.

So if someone says 6 hours they must be including either the scramble or the tangle falls option or just rambling around the pass.

Helen lake is 6 km 455 one way so a 4-5 hr round trip. I wouldn’t classify as difficult. It has options once you get to the lake to continue up the ridge behind it and up the peak behind it. Doing either of those takes it to the full day difficult hike range so if people are labeling it as difficult they may be going past the lake shore.

With Wilcox pass make sure it’s a clear day because it’s not worth doing without the good views of the Athabasca glacier.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #620
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey guys, I unexpectedly got the day off work at the last minute today. Anyone have any suggestions for a easy-moderate hike close to Calgary? I was thinking Grassi Lakes trail might be a good place to start, as im fairly new to this

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness