Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #41
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
you really want to play this game? The first five minutes of iron man should've killed Tony; a rocket exploded six feet away from him with no cover. To say nothing of the eighty other explosions or traumas that should have at least severely concussed him.

what are you actually complaining about?
The movie for being terrible, what else?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #42
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
The movie for being terrible, what else?
Ok. You're entitled to an opinion. But this is a good MOVIE. As a piece of film, of cinema, as a summer blockbuster, it completely works.

Your criticisms indicate that nothing they could've done to make you happy. Parts of the movie are silly. Yes. There's nothing in this movie plot-wise or character action wise that baffles the audience to the point that the movie breaks.

And I would encourage you to expand your film criticism beyond 'ZOMG PLOT HOELZ!'.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #43
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to seeing this - maybe this weekend, for Mother's Day, with the kids. Loved the first one, enjoyed the second. Makes me really glad RDJ got his crap together because what a great series this has been so far, and I can't imagine any other actor playing Stark.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #44
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And I'm sorry, you can't defend the end boss not dying after 3 explosions, but then dying on the 4th, that is just stupid writing.
Watch Dragonball Z and tell me a boss dying on the fourth explosion is unacceptable.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #45
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
That also really bothered me. What was the point of that? Those suits must have cost hundreds of millions of dollars and he just destroyed them without any explanation. Did he do it because Pepper would think that the explosions were pretty? Beats me.
The ending was pretty much all Tony Stark stepping away from Iron Man, and blowing up the suits was the visual evidence of it. Which is fine and dandy if Marvel was going to walk away from the franchise at this point. Except, we already know there is an Avengers 2 coming, so now they are stuck with two options: retcon it to pretend that Stark didn't actually stop being Iron Man or provide some lame excuse as to why he came back.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #46
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The ending was pretty much all Tony Stark stepping away from Iron Man, and blowing up the suits was the visual evidence of it. Which is fine and dandy if Marvel was going to walk away from the franchise at this point. Except, we already know there is an Avengers 2 coming, so now they are stuck with two options: retcon it to pretend that Stark didn't actually stop being Iron Man or provide some lame excuse as to why he came back.
It gives him a character arc for avengers 2. Which is sort of important. five movies is a really long time to deal with any particular character, and you can't just have him 'being iron man' because that is boring.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #47
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Who says his reason for coming back has to be lame? Was Bruce Wayne's reason lame?

My guess is what ever reason they have to assemble the Avengers again probably coincides with Tony's.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #48
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Well I'll throw my 2 cents in on this movie...

I really liked it. It was one of the first movies I've seen in 3D that I didn't find the 3D distracting at all. I thought that while there were some goofy scenes, it was a great action popcorn movie, with some good humour.

And key audiences for this film, kids/teens will eat this movie up. My little brother (13) absolutely LOVED this movie.

Marvel Spoiler Stuff
Spoiler!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #49
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is still the Iron Patriot suit is there not? Also, Isn't Tony Stark not actually Iron Man in the Avenger Comics, Rather part of the group as Tony Stark?
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #50
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think his last words after he chucked his chest piece into the ocean was... "I am Ironman!"
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #51
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The whole thing bugged the heck out of my kids.. Kept asking why would he do that? Is Ironman over??

i'm just glad they never had to see Blue Thunder get run over by a train as a kid...
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rayne008 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #52
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post
The whole thing bugged the heck out of my kids.. Kept asking why would he do that? Is Ironman over??

i'm just glad they never had to see Blue Thunder get run over by a train as a kid...
Wow that's a flashback.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #53
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I felt that it was unfortunate to dilute the Mandarin but Marvel (like most film companies) now rely on China for a large amount of their box office. That's why there was a obscure (to Western audiences) mainland Chinese actress in "The Expendables". Even the credits of Iron Man 3 list Chinese film companies and staff. This was the safest route they can take to deal with this.

Unfortunately, that resulted in us never having the great Iron Man vs. Mandarin moments like Batman has had with the Joker in previous films.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-10-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #54
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne008 View Post

The most traumatizing thing for a kid is Back to the Future III and the Delorean being run over by a train. That still haunts me today.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #55
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Saw it tonight, enjoyed it. Wasn't the best, but still very entertaining and engaging. 7/10.

Though I think a single AI coordinating a fleet of Iron Man suits could decimate pretty much anything.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #56
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Saw it tonight, enjoyed it. Wasn't the best, but still very entertaining and engaging. 7/10.

Though I think a single AI coordinating a fleet of Iron Man suits could decimate pretty much anything.
The last two movies have been a little suit heavy with Iron Man 2 and the multiple drones and then the dozens of suits in this film. It loses a bit of magic and becomes just a toy commercial with CG buzzing around.

Also, it's shown that a powerful repulsor blast can kill an Extremis powered human. Humans can't fly. Why don't all the suits shoot them into submission from range instead of flying in to tackle them and get melted?

I wish they kept the classic colors, I didn't like the MK42 coloration at all.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #57
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I saw it last night and I give it a resounding meh. I had read enough reviews to know it wasn't going to have me on the edge of my seat and that's about the extent of it. For me, RDJ is this whole franchise, not the suit. If he wasn't so good on the screen, delivering those impossibly bad comic book character lines, I don't think these movies would do nearly as well at the box office. The guy has a charisma that makes you like him, even when you don't like the movie.

Random thoughts -

-I didn't like the Happy Hogan stuff. It felt like filler that didn't need to be there.
-I actually laughed out loud a couple of times at Kingsley's take on the Mandarin.
-Guy Pearce was a great villain.
-The Pepper character needed to die. Not a fan of what they did with her at the end.
- The father figure/young boy relationship felt very forced.
- Cheadle's role started weak for me but finished strong. Cheadle has a more subdued version of that RDJ thing. People like him.

Overall, I give it a 6/10
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #58
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well it's on YouTube now.

Not sure how it hasn't been taken down yet. Actually good quality for what I assume is a cam rip.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #59
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I loved it.... 8/10.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #60
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well it's on YouTube now.

Not sure how it hasn't been taken down yet. Actually good quality for what I assume is a cam rip.
Linking that to this site is probably a no no
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote