Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I can't get into serious TV shows. Every episode has an intense plot line that is rarely solved in one episode and that bugs me. In Comedies, every main story arc tends to be resolved in one episode and thats what I like. It takes less commitment.

Breaking Bad is the only serious show I watch because it's so damn good and it's on Netflix so it has been easy to get into it but it still annoys me at times.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I can't get into serious TV shows. Every episode has an intense plot line that is rarely solved in one episode and that bugs me.
Yes...how dare they. How could you be expected to commit to more than one episode of a show.

Ahh, the attention span of today's youth.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Yes...how dare they. How could you be expected to commit to more than one episode of a show.

It's not that.
It's the unresolved feeling that continues throughout the run of a series.

I have never watched an episode of a serious show (besides cop dramas) that left me feeling satisfied. It's always unfinished. Because of that, it takes a really great show to keep me hooked, one that network tv hasn't been able to provide.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe he's on to something by not committing hours each week to television shows.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Maybe he's on to something by not committing hours each week to television shows.
Uh huh...

So if someone PVR's shows to watch at their leisure, this is somehow a problem?

Committing time to entertainment is an issue?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #26
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's not that.
It's the unresolved feeling that continues throughout the run of a series.

I have never watched an episode of a serious show (besides cop dramas) that left me feeling satisfied. It's always unfinished. Because of that, it takes a really great show to keep me hooked, one that network tv hasn't been able to provide.
Well, me thinks you expect a little too much. Perhaps TV is not for you then.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #27
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Boardwalk Empire for the win!
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to North East Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #28
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm just praying Community gets extended to a full run and not 13 measly episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Fotr shows on networks we do not get, like FX with Shaw, when can you expect the shows to be popping up on 'other places'?
Torrents for popular series tend to be up a few hours after airing.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #29
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uh huh...

So if someone PVR's shows to watch at their leisure, this is somehow a problem?

Committing time to entertainment is an issue?
You insulted him by saying not watching tv shows is a result of youth and this generation. I simply said maybe not watching tv is a good thing for whatever reason he does it.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
You insulted him by saying not watching tv shows is a result of youth and this generation. I simply said maybe not watching tv is a good thing for whatever reason he does it.
No.

He insinuated that he couldn't commit to more than an hour show. It seemed a little silly to me and indicative of what I've seen in today's youth.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #31
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just praying Community gets extended to a full run and not 13 measly episodes.

NBC did that for Chuck so it's definitely possible.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #32
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Apparently Community's season premier will be a spoof of hunger games. Well at least we know we'll still see quirky parodies even without Dan Harmon.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #33
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradster57 View Post
Saturday, September 15

Archer (FX)

Wednesday, September 19

Survivor: Philippines (CBS)

Thursday, September 20

Parks and Recreation (NBC)

Wednesday, September 26

Modern Family (ABC)
South Park (Comedy)

Sunday, September 30

Family Guy (Fox)
American Dad (Fox)

Sunday, October 7

The Cleveland Show (Fox)

Thursday, October 11

The League (FX)

Sunday, October 14

The Walking Dead (AMC)

Friday, October 19

Community (NBC)
Looks like ill be busy
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #34
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought I could just post this in here

I watched a couple episodes of a show called Impractical Jokers last night and I thought it was pretty funny.

Quote:
mpractical Jokers is an American hidden camera-practical joke reality television series that premiered on TruTV on December 15, 2011. It follows the four members of the comedy troupe The Tenderloins as they coerce one another into doing public pranks while being filmed by hidden cameras. The show differs from other prank television programs in that the stars of Impractical Jokers do not know the details of the prank until the moment they are performing it on strangers. While one cast-member performs the prank, the other three comedians in the troupe are behind the scenes feeding lines to their friend via microphone (with an earpiece). The lines fed to the prankster are meant to create a humorous & awkward exchange between the prankster and the stranger being pranked. On June 21, 2012, TruTV announced that Impractical Jokers had been renewed for a second season consisting of 15 episodes, and will premiere in December 2012.[1]
On August 15, 2012, It was announced that there will be 4 brand new episodes, airing from September 6, 2012. [2][
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #35
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently NBC aired the actual series premiers of "Go on" and "The New Normal" around the time of the Olympics. The "premiere" episodes tonight (Tuesday) were actually the 2nd of each, they aired the 1st of each again yesterday (Monday).

Without spoiling anything I will just say I gave both a chance and have seen the 2 episodes of each and I quite enjoyed them so far. I really liked Go On quite a bit, but I can see The New Normal wearing on me after a while if they don't keep it fresh.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #36
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Apparently NBC aired the actual series premiers of "Go on" and "The New Normal" around the time of the Olympics. The "premiere" episodes tonight (Tuesday) were actually the 2nd of each, they aired the 1st of each again yesterday (Monday).

Without spoiling anything I will just say I gave both a chance and have seen the 2 episodes of each and I quite enjoyed them so far. I really liked Go On quite a bit, but I can see The New Normal wearing on me after a while if they don't keep it fresh.
I didn't realize these were 2nd episodes, but I watched them both last night and I laughed a lot. Will give them some time to see if I stay interested.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #37
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Everything I read is saying

Go On = Community
The New Normal = Modern Family

Correct?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #38
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can see the second comparison fitting, but from what I've seen of Community (admittedly, not much) and Go On, they don't seem overly similar. Ensemble casts, sure, but Go On is definitely a Perry vehicle, whereas Community seems about the entire ensemble.

Go On is OK. I will give it a few episodes for sure. I like Matthew Perry.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #39
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go On isn't quite Community but does have some alt comedy cred with Seth Morris (Bob Duca) and Brett Gelman.

Gelman has probably said 7 words in both episodes but every time he's on-screen, I'm laughing my ass off.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #40
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wednesday October 17 - One of the best shows on television

Season 2 of American Horror Story on FX
Jeez, I finally got around to checking out this show after you recommended it and My Lord this has to be the most messed up show I have ever seen. 10 minutes in and I had no idea what was really going on. I can't tell if it's a great show, or if I just enjoy watching something this insane, but I'll be finishing the entire first season in 3 days.

Even the title sequence in crazy as I have never seen it where the main acting credits are switched for each episode.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote