Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #41
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
I must have eaten 100 bags of Ketchup chips that summer. Not having to pay for chips meant extra change to buy those Styrofoam Biplanes at the Red Rooster! Ahhh the good ol' days.
haha yes, the styrofoam biplanes at red rooster!!!! the ones with the clip onn propeller...
Old 02-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #42
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #43
Sparks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How about Bonkers (candy)? I'm sure I wasn't the only fan. Found a picture:

I used to go to Red Rooster all the time, too, but for some reason, I only remember buying hockey cards at 7-11, even though it was further away. Not sure why.

I was also guilty of eating all the hockey card gum at the same time. That distinctive hockey-card-gum smell (you know what I'm talking about!) - something you never forget. That's how it is with me, anyway. Weird.

And, yeah, O'Ryans were great.

edit: Oh, man, I'd forgotten about those styrofoam planes - I had a couple of those - good post.

Last edited by Sparks; 02-02-2007 at 12:45 AM.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #44
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree with everyone here about the Mexican Chilli chips, I miss them sooo much

My favs right now though are Jalapeno, ketchup, and Onion & Garlic flavour, all from Old Dutch I believe.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #45
Looger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

bonkers were ok - but they sure plastered ads on every comic book, every tv show, man they were the pepsi of saturday mornings!
Looger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
What about Miss Vickies? Do you guys have those out west? Damn those are some fine tater chips.
Vickies are just Kettle clones. You can get those anywhere. Even Wal-Mart has no-name Kettle chips.

I'm lamenting the disappearance of thick crunchy chips with lots of flavour. Seems all the chips these days are thin sliced.

If there are any Aussies on this board, I am told through the magic of the interweb that they have a crisp called O'Ryan's that is remarkably...well sounds like our old O'Ryans. If that's true, I need a few cases.

Wow, so many things about our childhoods were dictated by convienience stores. I used to get those styrofoam planes too. Along with a pack of Pro-Set hockey cards!

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-02-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:08 AM   #47
Seabass
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone remember when Old Dutch had a ripple chip called Au Gratin, with cheese flavour on it? Those were pretty tasty.
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #48
DebJane
Draft Pick

Default Sour Cream and Onion were BEST

Superstore PC Original flavor are the Closest to the o'ryan thickness and flavor, at least the original flavor ones (plain)....They sell out quick and they are under $2.00 a bag? Took 2 days to get approved and registered on this forum as part of my O'Ryans homage.
DebJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #49
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post

I was also guilty of eating all the hockey card gum at the same time. That distinctive hockey-card-gum smell (you know what I'm talking about!) - something you never forget. That's how it is with me, anyway. Weird.
It's kind of strange...now that you mention it, I can remember the taste. That thin white powder with an infusion of cardboard. Also, the gum would often be rock hard and shatter.

Bet I could still find some unopened pack on EBay....you guys think that stuff keeps?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #50
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looger View Post
those were good but no thunder crunch.
I came in here to post about Thunder Crunch. I could really go for some hot wings flavour right now. Their Jalapeno has been unmatched by any of the myriad pretenders that have followed.

RIP, you beloved tasty potato snack. RIP.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AR_Six For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #51
king_amonte
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Does anyone remember Thunder Crunch Hotter than.......Fiery Pepper Sauce, easily my favorite chip of all time!!!
Lets Retire #10....not Roberts.....Amonte
king_amonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #52
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dammit, saw this thread bumped and thought maybe Lays decided to bring the O'Ryans brand out of retirement or something.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #53
Hans Landa
Self Lifetime Suspended

Exp:

FYI - Hostess still exists in Ontario in the discount grocery banners FreshCo and Food Basics.

If you guys are looking for something yummy there are still some of the Jalapeno Cheddar Cheetos Crunchy lingering around in the market, but they'll be gone soon as they're only temporary. They are very good and seem to sell out fast.

Also, the colder weather means the Rold Gold Chocolate Covered Pretzels will be back soon.

Congrats to Alberta and BC for keeping Old Dutch alive though. I'm surprised they haven't pulled out of Eastern Canada yet. They get no shelf space in grocery these days... at a Walmart in Ontario OD gets about 4 feet and Frito Lay have about 42 feet in most cases.
Gotta love having Pepsi money behind you.
Hans Landa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #54
drhu22
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
The new Old Dutch Ripple Sour Cream n Onion remind me a bit of O'Ryans, but that taste simple can not be matched ... it was good enough to get my brother and I to co-operate and share when we were choosing our weekly treat at the grocery store.

Speaking of which, did anyone else here have a "Candy Night" when they were younger? Ours was on Friday, and we could pick either a slurpee, a bag of chips, or a chocolate bar.
Yup...except ours was candy day every Saturday. Apparently the dentist recommended it, and so dad tried it. We were glad he did. Every Sat we could pig out on candy that our parents bought to our hearts content, but it was banned the rest of the week (really not much of a hardship).

Last edited by drhu22; 10-29-2012 at 08:24 PM.
drhu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #55
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Old Dutch Rave Buffalo Wings > everything else.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #56
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperfan View Post
Dammit, saw this thread bumped and thought maybe Lays decided to bring the O'Ryans brand out of retirement or something.
I have updated the thread title.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: