Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #21
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

I also dont get the "pay the man" crowd

In a capped world, paying more to one guy means less for everyone else
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #22
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, if the answer to having to “get it done” is $13M, what say you? That may be an exaggeration but it’s not that far north of the numbers thrown around lately.
$13M is too much. He’s not McDavid.

Between $10-11.5M?

Of course - it’s not like he’s going to get $8M otherwise - he’s going to get somewhere North of $9M regardless.

Pay. Da. Man.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:20 PM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
$13M is too much. He’s not McDavid.

Between $10-11.5M?

Of course - it’s not like he’s going to get $8M otherwise - he’s going to get somewhere North of $9M regardless.

Pay. Da. Man.
So “pay him” but not 13M. Or $12? Or $11.75?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #24
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

You can pay For Gaudreau’s raise just by not re-signing Pitlick and Zadorov.

Trade Monahan and one of Tkachuk/Mangiapane, and you pay for the remainder’s raise + Kylington.

I don’t understand the “don’t pay him” crowd - if brining him back wasn’t part of the plan, why wasn’t he traded this summer?

Because you can’t well trade him now.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:25 PM   #25
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I say "pay the man", I'm saying pay him the market price and move on.

If there are teams out there who would pay him 12MM player, then that is what the market price is. If teams view him as a 10.5MM, then that's the market price.

Market prices fluctuate year to year, based UFA availability and quality, cap situations on competing teams, age, performance in contract years, etc.

All these things play into it, but Johnny is so important to the Flames that yes, they should pay him the market value.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #26
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:

Trade Monahan and one of Tkachuk/Mangiapane, and you pay for the remainder’s raise + Kylington.

I don’t understand the “don’t pay him” crowd - if brining him back wasn’t part of the plan, why wasn’t he traded this summer?

simply subtracting one player's contract is not the solution. You still have to consider the salary of that replacement player with

"Trade Monahan and one of Tkachuk/Mangiapane, and you pay for the remainder’s raise + Kylington."
So you end up with the same players we have now minus Monahan & Tkachuk/Mangiapane. How does help us strengthen the team?
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Your team is getting kind of skinny after getting rid of four players. Including a c high producing one.

I’m sure that Treliving planned on bringing him back, hence no trade. Through I also think the market was pretty soft because of the last two seasons’ uncertainty, and his contract status. I also think JG made some noises that would have c=given Treliving a fair degree of confidence that signing would be possible at a reasonable price, and the stats for the last two seasons helped that cause. JG’s hot start has throw his value into flux a bit and his idea of reasonable and Trelivings’ may be a little farther apart than they thought, Plus it’s not like JG’s agent is known for being easy to deal with.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #28
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

What Johnny is doing so far this year defensively is night and day better than the previous 2 seasons.

I dont know what the future will be but I'm cautious of this season in regards to Gaudreau.

Is this a contract year effort?

All I know is, I'm really enjoying watching Flames games this year and I'll take that at face value.

Just going to focus on that and not the "what ifs" of the future.

Everything about the next offseason is tough waters to navigate. You're losing core ppl no matter what. Not going to let that tarnish the shine of what we are watching right now.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #29
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well done, Johnny.
Great all around performances!
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:02 PM   #30
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:

OK, but you can't really win with a team of plugs either.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #31
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

No GM can be a drunken sailor when it comes to the salary cap but Gaudreau is already on the books for close to seven million. Even if we wants 10 million that's only three more you have to find. That's less than a Zadorov or slightly more than a Gubranson.

There's going to be a lot of salary maneuvering for Treliving, Johnny's a UFA, Tkachuk, Mangiapane and Kylington are RFA's but I'd rather we don't nickel and dime our top guys too much to spend further down the roster.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #32
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
speaking of the 5 on 5 goals against, NHL.com doesn't break it down anymore, they just have EVG for and against. And they list Johnny as having 7 EVGA - what is the breakdown for those? There will be some 3 on 3 for sure, but not 7 of them.

Also, where can I get those stats?
I don’t know where to get the exact stats, but the Flames have given up 4 EN goals against despite only losing 3 games in regulation.

So there’s 3 on 3 goals which he’s been on for, and EN goals against, which count as even strength on NHLs website I believe.

Could be 4 on 4 too, I can’t remember if the Flames have given up any.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:31 PM   #33
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let’s keep him but let’s not negotiate on the basis of his play over the last week either.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #34
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I don’t know where to get the exact stats, but the Flames have given up 4 EN goals against despite only losing 3 games in regulation.

So there’s 3 on 3 goals which he’s been on for, and EN goals against, which count as even strength on NHLs website I believe.

Could be 4 on 4 too, I can’t remember if the Flames have given up any.
forgot about those pesky empty-netters, thanks
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #35
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
No GM can be a drunken sailor when it comes to the salary cap but Gaudreau is already on the books for close to seven million. Even if we wants 10 million that's only three more you have to find. That's less than a Zadorov or slightly more than a Gubranson.

There's going to be a lot of salary maneuvering for Treliving, Johnny's a UFA, Tkachuk, Mangiapane and Kylington are RFA's but I'd rather we don't nickel and dime our top guys too much to spend further down the roster.
Exactly. Just giving Johnny what he's due is going to be a lot easier than having to find another Johnny. (see: Eichel)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #36
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassplat View Post
Johnny is married now....his diet consists of more than just Skittles...his wife has moved him onto Spinach!

Also his wife is a nurse, no nurse or any healthcare profession allow her kid to have Skittles as his primary diet.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #37
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A few recent UFA wingers and their cap hit as % of the cap ceiling at the time of signing (which is probably a better comparable than raw dollars):
  • Artemi Panarin: 14.29% ($11.6M/aav)
  • Mark Stone: 11.95% ($9.5M/aav)
  • Gabriel Landeskog: 8.59% ($7M/aav)
I think that Johnny has a case that the Landeskog number is way too low, and I think Tre will have a case that the Panarin number is too high. I would guess we see something around that Stone 12% figure, which would be $9.78M/aav.
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rogermexico For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2021, 02:07 PM   #38
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
This is the best I've seen Gaudreau play; he's engaged at both ends of the ice and while he's not "dancing" like when he was a rookie he's more engaged than we've ever seen. No pouty whiny face either.
This. He’s rounded out his game well. Not as flashy as he was before but he’s still playing smart and generating chances
Old 11-22-2021, 02:10 PM   #39
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny is on a mission this season, and it's just what the club needed. No one talks about it but does Johnny want to be captain?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #40
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

How effective do highly skilled yet undersized players become as they enter their 30s? Look at Daniel Briere as a comparable; his production declined rather noticably as he progressed through his 30s. His most productive season was '06-07 when he was the same age Johnny is now; he got 95 points in 81 games. He was never a PPG player again after that.

I don't know if it makes sense to pay Johnny almost McDavid-type money for 8 years when we don't know how effective he can be in his 30s.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good