Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2022, 11:18 PM   #141
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

No. Jeopardy is way too complex to rig. There are way too many questions. Plus, most contestants know pretty much all of the answers and the show is won or lost on buzzer timing.

Final wasn’t even why she lost. She lost because that guy nailed the easy ass daily double and doubled his score and then just coasted to final lucky that he was within striking distance. He doesn’t make that, or better yet she picks that clue, and her lead is once again insurmountable going into final.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:23 PM   #142
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Amy lost. Streak over. Or so I hear. Didn’t watch yet.
I would ask that in future, maybe 'spoiler' it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:36 AM   #143
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping Amy would break the $2 million mark, but I had a feeling this run was going to end lately. Also saw someone point out that Matt lost the same week he did an interview on Good Morning America, which is exactly what happened to Amy.

Kudos to the new champ, he took the shot and made the most out of his Daily Double.

The Tournament of Champions field this year is so stacked. Can't wait.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:37 AM   #144
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Film theory dove into the James Holtzhaur elimination.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:44 AM   #145
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do you think they rig final jeopardy against long running contestants at a certain point? They have data for all contestants strengths and weaknesses based on pre-show testing and for a long time champion they have even more knowledge.

At some point on these streaks ratings start to dip so then do you subtlety up the difficulty until they lose.
Do the ratings go down during a long run or do they go up? I've never seen that data.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:46 AM   #146
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No. Jeopardy is way too complex to rig. There are way too many questions. Plus, most contestants know pretty much all of the answers and the show is won or lost on buzzer timing.

Final wasn’t even why she lost. She lost because that guy nailed the easy ass daily double and doubled his score and then just coasted to final lucky that he was within striking distance. He doesn’t make that, or better yet she picks that clue, and her lead is once again insurmountable going into final.
I like how Ken pushes people to use daily doubles properly when they are trailing. "You see the scores, you are watching how Amy is playing".

And then the utter disappointment when they don't bet big.

I find that generally Jeopardy players are really poor in deciding what to bet.
For instance when someone bets ALMOST all their money, but not enough to take the lead? WTF is the rationale for that.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:32 PM   #147
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

That final Jeopardy answer was super easy!! I hardly ever get Jeopardy answers right but I knew that one almost immediately.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:39 PM   #148
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the kind of question you either instantly know or you don't. There's no way to make a reasonable guess based on the information provided. If it doesn't come to you immediately, you're pretty much screwed.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:05 PM   #149
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's the kind of question you either instantly know or you don't. There's no way to make a reasonable guess based on the information provided. If it doesn't come to you immediately, you're pretty much screwed.
Maybe, I'm surprised someone who is on Jeopardy doesn't know the name of every country. One of the most populous countries in the world, immediately
thought of India, but it doesn't end in H. Thinking about that region, Pakistan, nope, Bangladesh. Must be, since there is only one country that ends in H, according to the question.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:51 PM   #150
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1486913660035371011
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #151
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Maybe, I'm surprised someone who is on Jeopardy doesn't know the name of every country. One of the most populous countries in the world, immediately
thought of India, but it doesn't end in H. Thinking about that region, Pakistan, nope, Bangladesh. Must be, since there is only one country that ends in H, according to the question.
I think part of the problem would be a Jeopardy contestant DOES know all the countries. There's one from a list of 195-200ish.

I did the same thing as you, I started ok, China, India, Indonesia, USA... then my mind went to countries around India. I thought "Bangladesh" and then questioned myself on whether it was 10 of the most populous countries before thinking "wait... it says there's only one that ends in H".

If Amy got hung up trying to guess the 10 most populous countries rather than a country that ends in "H" I could see how she'd be stumped.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 09:47 AM   #152
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Sometimes you just get a mental block. My wife blurted out Bangladesh almost immediately, I'm not sure I would have thought of it and I love geography.

Laughing that the giant killer was a one and done.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 11:47 AM   #153
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
If Amy got hung up trying to guess the 10 most populous countries rather than a country that ends in "H" I could see how she'd be stumped.
That makes sense. I started trying to think of countries that ended in H and used population to narrow it down. If you started looking for population first, it might be harder. Weird that I could probably not answer half (or more) of the questions on that show but the one that stumped two contestants came to me right away.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:59 AM   #154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Sometimes you just get a mental block. My wife blurted out Bangladesh almost immediately, I'm not sure I would have thought of it and I love geography.

Laughing that the giant killer was a one and done.
That was an uninspiring episode.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #155
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Film theory video is great. I actually remarked that the game James lost seemed ridiculously easy to my wife, but we're not hardcore enough to actually track our coryats. Just felt stupidly easy and the final jeopardy question seemed oddly specific.

But I wasn't convinced they actually did it until watching that video. Now I suspect that they did tilt the board. Would be interesting to analyze Matt and Amy's runs as well. Given the tidbit about predictability of long term champions and the recent rise of two, part of me is interested in seeing further analysis into if these were subtly... induced... runs.

Both Matt and Amy are deserving champions, but the proximity of their incredible runs after the example of Jeopardy James (with Jeopardy Jason in the middle as a 1/2 way point) makes me wonder a bit.

What better way to also ensure some consistent viewership through the loss of Alex and the hosting scandal as well...
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #156
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing that happened just before both champions and just after James was that Jeopardy switched to an online testing and tracking system for new contestants. IMO this would give them much better data levers to pull in tracking who could become a longterm champion, and give them much more opportunty to schedule opponents... not necessarily fix matches but they could create easier streaks vs harder matchups.

I dont know something feels off here to me.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #157
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I think part of the problem would be a Jeopardy contestant DOES know all the countries. There's one from a list of 195-200ish.

I did the same thing as you, I started ok, China, India, Indonesia, USA... then my mind went to countries around India. I thought "Bangladesh" and then questioned myself on whether it was 10 of the most populous countries before thinking "wait... it says there's only one that ends in H".

I tried playing along, and I didn't get it either. I got bogged down thinking of all the countries in the world and mentally searching for that one country that ends in 'h' rather than more strategically thinking of the most populous countries first, or something else to narrow it down, and by the time the 30 seconds were up Bangladesh still hadn't even occurred to me.

Sometimes, as others have commented, you just run into a mental 'block' and make a dumb mistake. That's always how Amy Schneider's run was going to end unless someone James-Holzhauer-esque happened to take her out: a dumb mistake on a Final Jeopardy clue.

I still remember when Jennings's streak ended: it was a question about a big company whose employees only worked a few months of the year. He guessed FedEx, which I immediately reacted to thinking "FedEx? What the hell kind of dumb guess is that? It's obviously something seasonal, like tax season; it's probably H&R Block!" And I was right. It seemed so obvious to me that it was hard to believe it wasn't obvious to him. Part of me thought he deliberately whiffed on it, that maybe he was getting sick of appearing on the show.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #158
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amy's tweets about her final game. I won't post all of the thread but some highlights

https://twitter.com/user/status/1487241342539292672
https://twitter.com/user/status/1487242212446326784
https://twitter.com/user/status/1487242216317743106
https://twitter.com/user/status/1487242221040521218
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 09:05 PM   #159
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

She acquitted herself well overall. She should be proud of that.

I understand the analyzing and second-guessing and regrets, but she kicked ass and took names.

Holzhauer changed the game. He was unplayable largely.

Amy played the game the way viewers at home play the game and she played it well. She was a treat to watch.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 08:03 AM   #160
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
That Film theory video is great. I actually remarked that the game James lost seemed ridiculously easy to my wife, but we're not hardcore enough to actually track our coryats. Just felt stupidly easy and the final jeopardy question seemed oddly specific.

But I wasn't convinced they actually did it until watching that video. Now I suspect that they did tilt the board. Would be interesting to analyze Matt and Amy's runs as well. Given the tidbit about predictability of long term champions and the recent rise of two, part of me is interested in seeing further analysis into if these were subtly... induced... runs.

Both Matt and Amy are deserving champions, but the proximity of their incredible runs after the example of Jeopardy James (with Jeopardy Jason in the middle as a 1/2 way point) makes me wonder a bit.

What better way to also ensure some consistent viewership through the loss of Alex and the hosting scandal as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Another thing that happened just before both champions and just after James was that Jeopardy switched to an online testing and tracking system for new contestants. IMO this would give them much better data levers to pull in tracking who could become a longterm champion, and give them much more opportunty to schedule opponents... not necessarily fix matches but they could create easier streaks vs harder matchups.

I dont know something feels off here to me.
*Puts on Tinfoil Hat*

I wonder if Jeopardy James was an effort to boost ratings and get people talking about the show after Alex's diagnosis.

Then Matt Amodeo kept people coming back.

Then the controversy over the new host(s), and introduce JeopardAmy.

Now everyone was all about Amy, not really a second thought about Ken Jennings.

Could be a way to make it so people are used to Ken as host, to keep him around as the perminant host without the critisim.

Then have Miam host the tournaments?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double jeopardy , therapists , who is