Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2023, 05:47 PM   #541
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Bialik officially gone from the hosting team. Ken will be the sole host, effective immediately.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/mayim-b...235669885/amp/

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 05:52 PM   #542
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

She says she won't be hosting the syndicated version, so I wonder if that means she'll go back to hosting Celebrity Jeopardy? Dealing with those morons must hurt Ken's brain.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:57 PM   #543
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
She says she won't be hosting the syndicated version, so I wonder if that means she'll go back to hosting Celebrity Jeopardy? Dealing with those morons must hurt Ken's brain.
I just dont care. I hope she's gone for good. I am sorry, but she's gotten every break and she just doesnt learn or improve.

She can barely read out loud, I dont know how she managed a Doctorate in anything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2023, 06:09 PM   #544
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### yes!
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 10:43 PM   #545
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A spokesperson for the series at Sony released the following statement to Variety later in the afternoon: “Mayim Bialik has announced she will no longer be hosting the syndicated version of ‘Jeopardy!’. We made the decision to have one host for the syndicated show next season to maintain continuity for our viewers, and Ken Jennings will be the sole host for syndicated ‘Jeopardy!’. We are truly grateful for all of Mayim’s contributions to ‘Jeopardy!’, and we hope to continue to work with her on primetime specials.”
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/may...dy-1235841706/
Old 12-15-2023, 10:50 PM   #546
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watching Ken trying to get Tyler to smile shows why Jeopardy made the right decision. He’s just so much better.
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2023, 02:56 PM   #547
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Man...I rock at Celebrity Jeopardy...get me on there! I'll donate my $1M winnings to....'The Human Fund.'
Don’t we all kill those episodes? I can’t even watch because it’s far too easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Bialik officially gone from the hosting team. Ken will be the sole host, effective immediately.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/mayim-b...235669885/amp/
How in the world was she nominated for an award for hosting? Surely it’s someone who’s never seen the show before doing the nominations?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 03:01 PM   #548
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Don’t we all kill those episodes? I can’t even watch because it’s far too easy!
Dont toy with the 'Pen is Mightier' Slava! The real question is 'does it work?'

Old 12-18-2023, 11:51 PM   #549
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The new season starts tomorrow!

What a weird road it has been to get to this point. James is a sensation, leading to GOAT. Ken wins GOAT. Ken becoming a consultant, Trebek's passing, Ken starts off but leads to guest hosting. Some of Ken's old tweets are dug up. Then weeks of guest hosts.

Mike Richards gets the job along with Mayim doing primetime. Mike hosts as the official host for one tape day. Then Mike loses the job after Claire's expose. Ken splits the hosting with Mayim, though Mayim seems to be the primary choice. Mayim's show gets renewed and Ken hosts more often. Then her show gets cancelled, seemingly opening up for her to host more often. Then the strike happens and Mayim declines to host. And now we're here, with her not having a role at least on the main show.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2023, 09:51 AM   #550
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully this settles things for the next 20 years. Ken is the exact right personality for this role (smart, but not wooden), and was the right host from the start.

I kind of forgot about that whole period now, but out of all the other guests hosts, Aaron Rodgers was my surprise favourite.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2024, 04:11 PM   #551
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The UK version has started airing and the reviews aren’t great.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...tephen-fry/amp

I love Stephen Fry and he’s great in this but I guess this isn’t what British audiences are looking for.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 04:35 PM   #552
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The UK version has started airing and the reviews aren’t great.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...tephen-fry/amp

I love Stephen Fry and he’s great in this but I guess this isn’t what British audiences are looking for.
I'd like to try watching it.

But...its like us Canadians watching Jeopardy when its a largely American-centric show, the clues are largely American based but...we still tend to know a fair bit about our neighbours.

But when a category comes on about...American Presidents, okay, I can get some of them, but I remember one about US Government Organizations like the Parks service and a bunch of obscure ones.

I think that type of thing would be even more difficult in England.

Further, many of the contestants do TONS of research, studying and practice before getting on the show...did they bring that expertise to the British version?

Like I said, I dont know, I havent seen it. But I refuse to believe that Stephen Fry is doing a bad job. That man is a treasure and a goddamned Pro.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:49 PM   #553
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

But...its like us Canadians watching Jeopardy when its a largely American-centric show, the clues are largely American based but...we still tend to know a fair bit about our neighbours.

But when a category comes on about...American Presidents, okay, I can get some of them, but I remember one about US Government Organizations like the Parks service and a bunch of obscure ones.

Further, many of the contestants do TONS of research, studying and practice before getting on the show...did they bring that expertise to the British version?

Like I said, I dont know, I havent seen it. But I refuse to believe that Stephen Fry is doing a bad job. That man is a treasure and a goddamned Pro.
If you have access to a VPN you can try watching on itvx. It will be on BBC First, a channel I’ve never heard of, starting on the 10th.

I gave it a shot and you’re right that the clues about British culture were beyond me, even as someone who watches a fair amount of their shows. For some reason they have an extra round which could be tiresome I guess.

Fry is his usual charming self. The complainers suck if they disagree.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 11:34 PM   #554
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
If you have access to a VPN you can try watching on itvx. It will be on BBC First, a channel I’ve never heard of, starting on the 10th.

I gave it a shot and you’re right that the clues about British culture were beyond me, even as someone who watches a fair amount of their shows. For some reason they have an extra round which could be tiresome I guess.

Fry is his usual charming self. The complainers suck if they disagree.
So I'm watching this now. I'm half-way through episode 1.

"It's the largest and oldest animal welfare charity in the world."

Spoiler!

But yeah, I have so much trouble following it. Theres just so much UK-Centric information that I just dont know. Like something, something booking a Holiday with a UK Travel company? What? I dont know. Insurance? No? Acronym for something I've never heard of? Cool. Rock on then.

This show just needs to find its feet and get into a groove. Once it does the English will love it.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:59 PM   #555
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before Final Jeopardy I was thinking Long should wager it all.

He’s got a huge lead for Monday’s final.
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2024, 11:15 PM   #556
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Before Final Jeopardy I was thinking Long should wager it all.

He’s got a huge lead for Monday’s final.
I feel like the strategy for 2 game finals is usually pretty conservative in the first game. It seems most contestants feel like you generally can't win it on the first day, but you can lose it on the first day. It was kind of refreshing to see someone take chances in order to win it on the first day especially went your opponents have low total. At worse he's down by 8000 at best he's up by 37000. Long's obvious strength in geography was also probably a factor.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 03:39 PM   #557
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

“What is Canada”? Was the answer for two questions on Thursday. The first clue was about John Turner following PET as PM and the second about the founding of the Women’s Institute.

It’s funny watching Brits forget to phrase answers as questions. For some reason, this is allowed in the first two rounds, but not in the Double Jeopardy round.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 05:30 PM   #558
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
“What is Canada”? Was the answer for two questions on Thursday. The first clue was about John Turner following PET as PM and the second about the founding of the Women’s Institute.

It’s funny watching Brits forget to phrase answers as questions. For some reason, this is allowed in the first two rounds, but not in the Double Jeopardy round.
I watched two episodes...does the US version not get syndicated in the UK?

Because Fry is very, very loose with the rules to the point where I get the impression that he understands that the contestants dont know them, as if they've never seen the show before which, to me, is very odd as a very popular game show.

I think it just needs to find its feet in the UK and I think it will in time, I dont know that I'll ever be a fan because the UK/EU centric clues...but I think once they get used to it it'll do well.

I still say, as much as I like Fry...get Clarkson in as a guest host. Thats one thing Jeopardy has never tried...get a host who is a genuine ass.

Old 01-13-2024, 05:57 PM   #559
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I still say, as much as I like Fry...get Clarkson in as a guest host. Thats one thing Jeopardy has never tried...get a host who is a genuine ass.
Does it become too much like Weakest Link with Jane Lynch at that point though? I don't think that is what Jeopardy viewers want.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 06:22 PM   #560
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Does it become too much like Weakest Link with Jane Lynch at that point though? I don't think that is what Jeopardy viewers want.
I dont know what that is, so I cant say.

Tags
double jeopardy , therapists , who is