Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #641
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Trying to decide on where to go for an upcoming night out with the wife.
We are down to two very different choices.
Deane House
Notable

What say you?
Deane House is fantastic. Went there with the girlfriend a few weeks back. She was so impressed she went back for brunch the next day with her sister.

Also I haven't tried Notable.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #642
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Deane House
Notable

What say you?
Deane House is fantastic. Went there with the girlfriend a few weeks back. She was so impressed she went back for brunch the next day with her sister.

I haven't been to Notable.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:26 AM   #643
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Deane House
Notable

What say you?
Are you not considering the best of two options? The Off Cut bar in the Nash in Inglewood... but don't limit yourself... start off with a cocktail at the Deane House and walk down to the Nash (which is owned & operated by Notable crew). Be sure to end up in the bar side and order some of their off cut drinks and sides. Otherwise, the Deane house is great and stick to appies there as well.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:03 AM   #644
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Deane House
Notable

What say you?
What day of the week are you planning this for?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #645
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Deane House
Notable

What say you?
Deane House all the way. Notable is ok, but I find it to be a little over hyped. Last few dinners there have been good but not exceptional.

Deane House is excellent. If you go do the chef tasting. It is a reasonable price and the courses are extremely well prepared.

The one caveat I would put on it is Deane House is "vegetable forward", meaning the vegetables feature prominently in the dish as opposed to the meat. So if your looking for a big rack of ribs this isn't the place, I would do notable instead.

If you are open minded then you'll find you won't miss the heaviness of a big meat dish. The preparation of the vegetables is outstanding and they do give you meat just not as much. Balances really well.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #646
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have Bow Valley Ranche booked for our first night out since our daughter was born (she stays home of course).

It is amazing how much money we have saved the last several months. More or less went to a restaurant every Saturday night for years. Anyway, Ranche is a good choice for our first restaurant in a while.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #647
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ate at Pigeonhole this Saturday. It was quite good, not blow your mind good. The small plate concept is good but seems played. We had crispy potatoes (very good), kale dumplings (very good), duck confit (good, wife didn't care for it though), charred cabbage (interesting but ok in taste), beef shabu shabu (good), whipped cheesecake and warm madeleines (the combo was out of the world). Drinks were good. total came to $150 for two people. So relatively expensive. Would go back, but not on the top my list. Model Milk, Alloy, Notable still are higher on the list. I want to check out Anju next
Old 02-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #648
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Deane House
Notable

What say you?
I haven't tried Deane House, but i've been pretty disappointed with Notable the last two times I was there. While a decent restaurant, there's much better bang for your buck in this City now than Notable. Calgary has really taken off in the dining aspect in the seven years since Notable opened, and in my opinion it's now in the over priced ad over rated category. Not to say I wouldn't eat there if a group of friends were going, but it wouldn't be high on my list. The last time I was there I paid close to $20 for two puny scallops that would have sent Gordon Ramsay off the deep end.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #649
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Have Bow Valley Ranche booked for our first night out since our daughter was born (she stays home of course).

It is amazing how much money we have saved the last several months. More or less went to a restaurant every Saturday night for years. Anyway, Ranche is a good choice for our first restaurant in a while.
Have you been there since it is under new ownership about 3ish years ago? I found it to drop to good but not amazing after The ownership change.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #650
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Have you been there since it is under new ownership about 3ish years ago? I found it to drop to good but not amazing after The ownership change.
Only for brunch I believe. Going for the setting and ambiance as well, which is still top notch.

We went to Lakehouse, former Ranche owners I believe?, last Valentine's day actually. Very good, but maybe best on a regular non-event evening.... which seems to be the case with every restaurant. Never been too impressed with big event set menu evenings anywhere.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #651
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Would go back, but not on the top my list. Model Milk, Alloy, Notable still are higher on the list. I want to check out Anju next
Pigeonhole is Model Milk. It's the same kitchen. I've ordered off the Model Milk menu there.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #652
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Pigeonhole is Model Milk. It's the same kitchen. I've ordered off the Model Milk menu there.
Are you sure? We got a pigeonhole menu, no model milk. and the food is cooked in an open kitchen that you can see.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #653
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. They have a separate menu, but you can literally walk from one restaurant into the other, and often things on one menu cross over to the other. It's essentially an extension of Model Milk with a different name and a smaller menu.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #654
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just booked Alloy for this Saturday. Ive been wanting to go for a while now, im very excited.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #655
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really restaurant related but I have an urge to buy a cake for tonight. Obviously nothing custom because it is pretty short notice. I don't even know what kind but I just want cake. Maybe cheesecake or maybe some sort of chocolate and caramel type cake. Red Velvet is always good too.

That being said, I need some suggestions for a good bakery or store to visit in the NW to find a cake.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #656
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Not really restaurant related but I have an urge to buy a cake for tonight. Obviously nothing custom because it is pretty short notice. I don't even know what kind but I just want cake. Maybe cheesecake or maybe some sort of chocolate and caramel type cake. Red Velvet is always good too.

That being said, I need some suggestions for a good bakery or store to visit in the NW to find a cake.
I've heard things about Yamato Bakery.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=108713

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 02-14-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #657
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Check out Edelweiss? It says they only do on demand and it takes two days but I'm pretty sure you can buy some stuff over the counter. It's been a while since I've been there.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #658
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.facebook.com/patisserie.eclair.de.lune/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #659
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he wants a good cake not a German one. Frambois is a new bakery on 10th and 20th or Eclair de Lune on Northmount and 40th. Can't personally recommend them as I haven't been able to eat at either, but I'm sure the standard review sites could help.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #660
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You could probably stop at Sunterra. The desserts there are pretty good.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business