Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #2061
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yes. It's basically triple the MSRP of the founders 3080, and it will barely outperform that card. The thing is probably worth maybe $1200? So a $1000 premium? So yeah, that would be stupid.

... It also might be your only option if you need a new, high end card, so maybe you're forced to be stupid here.
Thus the conundrum. I don’t need a new card for gaming but I want to build a new Plex server and my current card would be perfect for transcoding. If I knew supply and prices were going to get back to normal soon it wouldn’t be a question but I might take the plunge because my patience is waning.

I also looked at 6900xt cards but they don’t make the grade. Some don’t even have HDMI 2.1.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #2062
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crikey it's difficult to get a large HDD thanks to this new HDD based crypto. I bought a 10TB Seagate drive at Xmas to shuck for $200. It's $379 now, but supplies are low or out at a lot of places.

NAS expansion is going to have to wait.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #2063
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unless my old system craps out, my money is staying in the bank. If more people did this, prices would return to normal sooner. That's my thinking anyway.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #2064
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is nuts. I wouldn't have expected it to make this big a difference. Just another thing to worry about when buying a system (or even just the hardware).

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #2065
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Well, I went down to Memory Express and was reminded that they're only selling the 3080ti in a bundle so that's the end of that for now.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 04:23 PM   #2066
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Well, I went down to Memory Express and was reminded that they're only selling the 3080ti in a bundle so that's the end of that for now.
Guess that's the reason why they're still in stock, even at prices that would been outrageous a year ago they would have been sold out if they were standalone.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:44 PM   #2067
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Back in April right when hard drive prices went crazy I put in an order for 2 16TB Seagate Exos drives from CDW since they still had them listed for $500 each. I figured it was a long shot at best due to supply issues and half expected the order to get cancelled. Forgot about it until today when the drives magically show up at my door. Very pleasant surprise and now I can finally get my Synology NAS setup
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #2068
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Have finally gotten around to doing some gaming with my 5900X, which forced me to dig into an intermittent keyboard lag issue that I've been annoyed at for a while. Why would my new beefy system have keyboard lag?! It's not constant, but is worse if I haven't touch the keyboard in a few seconds. Which happens a lot in games.

Maybe the wireless keyboard itself?

I finally dug out a USB keyboard and poof lag gone. Changed the batteries, same thing. I have two of the same wireless keyboard so tried the other one, same thing.

Dig out an old ASUS USB BT-400 adapter, disable the onboard BT, plugin in the dongle, repair, zero lag.

Thanks Gigabyte... Though I wonder, I'm not using the onboard Wifi, but does the antenna that comes with it also work as a BT antenna since the BT chip would be on the motherboard?
Old 07-13-2021, 08:38 PM   #2069
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Have finally gotten around to doing some gaming with my 5900X, which forced me to dig into an intermittent keyboard lag issue that I've been annoyed at for a while. Why would my new beefy system have keyboard lag?! It's not constant, but is worse if I haven't touch the keyboard in a few seconds. Which happens a lot in games.

Maybe the wireless keyboard itself?

I finally dug out a USB keyboard and poof lag gone. Changed the batteries, same thing. I have two of the same wireless keyboard so tried the other one, same thing.

Dig out an old ASUS USB BT-400 adapter, disable the onboard BT, plugin in the dongle, repair, zero lag.

Thanks Gigabyte... Though I wonder, I'm not using the onboard Wifi, but does the antenna that comes with it also work as a BT antenna since the BT chip would be on the motherboard?
I have a Gigabyte mobo and the antenna is for wifi and bluetooth. I don't have lag but my Xbox controller will disconnect sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 10:24 PM   #2070
photon

Exp:

Ok I'll try hooking that up and see if that makes the keyboard better, thanks.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #2071
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty much any bluetooth peripheral I use I need to plug the BT adapter into an extension cable and have it sitting near my feet. Bluetooth just seems to suck but I guess with so many other things running on the same frequency it wouldn't take much to cause transmission errors causing lag.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #2072
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean the real question is why use a wireless keyboard for a desktop but maybe you're just really averse to cords.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-14-2021, 09:52 AM   #2073
photon

Exp:

If there was a wired version of the keyboard I'd use that.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:35 PM   #2074
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean the real question is why use a wireless keyboard for a desktop but maybe you're just really averse to cords.
I like a wireless mouse/keyboard for my work PC. Way less clutter.

But for my gaming rig, wired for sure.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #2075
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

really like the g910 wired keyboard. not too clicky, and has a nice volume roller
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #2076
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
really like the g910 wired keyboard. not too clicky, and has a nice volume roller
Seconded. I can't not buy Logitech keyboards since the g510 just because I live and die on that volume roller. The g910 is a solid keyboard with great features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #2077
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp, need more storage.

Recommendations for SSD >2TB?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #2078
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have a WD 4TB it does the job.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #2079
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I like a wireless mouse/keyboard for my work PC. Way less clutter.

But for my gaming rig, wired for sure.
My issue is that there aren't many good wireless mechanical keyboards and they rarely go on sale so I just use a Black Widow for everything. I have 4 of them now.

On an unrelated note, I hear GPU prices are starting to fall. I assume that's purely theoretical and we still can't actually buy them?
Old 07-20-2021, 06:02 PM   #2080
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
My issue is that there aren't many good wireless mechanical keyboards and they rarely go on sale so I just use a Black Widow for everything. I have 4 of them now.

On an unrelated note, I hear GPU prices are starting to fall. I assume that's purely theoretical and we still can't actually buy them?

what kind of gaming are you doing? There a bunch of bluetooth mechanical keyboards out there now that are pretty good.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote