Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #2581
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been a while since I have paid any attention to the arena debate, but have they mentioned arenas that are influencing the style/design?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #2582
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Yeah, I thought the benefit of the inverted was that it was cheaper in terms for cost of steel and had a smaller footprint.
It was noted that with the inverted bowl, there would not be enough "cheap seats". Would be cool to have an inverted bowl, but if it cost too much to sit in anyways then leave it out.

Hopefully the design incorporates proper affordable sections that enourage standing and fans leading chants (like the legenday Foot Soldiers).
RM14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #2583
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...119545?cmp=rss

I'm all in favour of this. Let the people that are using the arena pay more for the privilege.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #2584
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
IMO the upper deck of Rogers is far worse than the saddledome. I know people who refuse to sit on the second deck because it is too steep and it triggers their fear of heights. by experience, you can't lean forward at all in the seat without pissing off the people behind you and blocking their view of the ice.
It really feels like 2 tier fandom.
I'd agree with this. I've even sat first row in the upper level in Rogers. It compares to PL here IMO.

I expect the upper level in the new arena here will be similar though. Maximize lower bowl size and fit in as many luxury boxes as you can.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:53 PM   #2585
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Been a while since I have paid any attention to the arena debate, but have they mentioned arenas that are influencing the style/design?
The architecture team is Dialog & HOK. Dialog is local and worked on the new Library among other big projects. HOK is a large international firm that has worked on many stadium and arena projects.

HOK did both Little Caesars Arena and Rogers Place. They also did Nationwide Arena is Columbus, which Ken King frequently referenced as one of the models they were going to follow on this arena.

I suspect the design will ultimately be closer to Little Caesars than Rogers Place because I think it fits the area better.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:45 PM   #2586
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping the big thread because it might get missed in the news only thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
Quote:
Today, I spoke with Murray Edwards, primary shareholder of Calgary Sports & Entertainment Corp (CSEC), about the future of the Event Centre project.

He informed me of the Flames intention to pull the plug on the Event Centre deal.

Why? Here’s what I know:

The deal struck in summer of 2019 envisioned a $550 m deal w/costs split equally between CSEC & the City. In addition, the City provided land, 90% demolition of the ‘Dome, excess flood/site remediation, & levies. Total City contribution: $275m + $22.4m = $297.4 plus land. I supported that deal.

In July of this year, CSEC asked to make changes to the above deal. Calgary Municipal Land Corp was removed as Development Manager, both parties added an extra $12.5m for potential cost overruns and The City added up to another $10m in event management costs.

Total value: $307.4 + land. I did not support that deal.

Since I was elected Mayor, Administration & my office have been working with CSEC to mitigate any additional costs. Two costs were identified: climate mitigation of around $4m and road/sidewalk right of way issues of $12.1m.

The City came to the table to assist with $6.4m in roadways leaving $9.7m for the Flames. Based on this gap of $9.7m, I am told CSEC is walking away from our deal.

I am disappointed. On a project worth over $650m, to have one party walk away for 1.5% of the value of the deal is staggering.

I wanted Calgarians to be the first to know. I am as disappointed as all of you that this is the way things are ending.

https://www.facebook.com/JyotiGondek
Old 12-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #2587
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

That almost sounds like an April Fool's joke, I thought this was all done.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #2588
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Just when I was starting to warm back up to the Flames.. Murray Edwards goes and proves he 100% is the villain.

I hated the deal in the first place, never been on board with public funds here, but this is pedantic AF and the Flames can get bent.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #2589
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I should've used this thread... I thought it warranted a new one.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:53 PM   #2590
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been a fan since day one. #### it, move the team. Murray can wrap his billionaire lips around my chocolate starfish.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 05:54 PM   #2591
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe Murray Edwards wants to beat the Coyotes to Houston. I hear they're allowed to sell to capacity and even sell beers and concessions to their fans down there.
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 06:02 PM   #2592
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those tweets read like the city went back in to ask for more money mere weeks before ground breaking. Makes no sense.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #2593
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Those tweets read like the city went back in to ask for more money mere weeks before ground breaking. Makes no sense.
Exactly my question on this.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #2594
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Move them to Houston. I’ll have tons of free time on my hands.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #2595
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Welcome to hell Flames fans.

This is my fault. 100% ready to be a full time Flames fan of the Yotes move to Houston and here we go
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #2596
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silver lining is we don't end up with the "theatre end of the shopping mall" design. I prefer the parking lot. Pour some water on it and we'll play our own hockey game.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:42 PM   #2597
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I knew this was gonna happen... the second they gave away control of the project in exchange for the limit on the cost overruns I knew Edwards and Co. would start trying to weasel out of paying anything with strong-arm tactics. #### Murray Edwards. Weasel.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #2598
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I knew this was gonna happen... the second they gave away control of the project in exchange for the limit on the cost overruns I knew Edwards and Co. would start trying to weasel out of paying anything with strong-arm tactics. #### Murray Edwards. Weasel.
Not so fast. Sounds like the City changed the deal and CSEC told them to stuff it.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2021, 10:05 PM   #2599
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Edwards made that call shortly after the province announced capacity restrictions at the Saddledome while also effectively ending concession sales. I doubt that is a coincidence. The team made $0 from home games last year, had reduced income from 2019-20 due to the early end of the season and the play-off bubble, and is now facing drastically reduced revenues for the rest of this season. Maybe ownership has just had enough and don't see this team as a viable entity going forward?
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Press Level For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 02:40 AM   #2600
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
this isn't at all what happened...city made up some fake costs because "they can afford it"

GL doing business like that in the real world

Climate mitigation lol...we can sit on our broke ass high horse as the city crumbles