Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #41
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinner View Post
I think this TV is 720P but has a very good picture
Owned it, didn't like it. Had burn in within a month. God bless the Costco return policy!

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #42
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
$169 for a 120GB SSD at MemEx today!! Sooooo tempting to get one and RAID it with the one I have.
If I could get the 2nd gen Intel SSD for the same price, would I be better off getting this one instead? Is Sandforce a better way to go for an older MacBook?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #43
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah the Sandforce garbage collector will keep the performance up better for a non-TRIM OS, though Intel might have a manual TRIM utility for OSX by now.

Even better would be the new V100+ Kingston drives.. that's what they use in the new MacBook Airs, they keep their performance at max no matter what. Though as I mentioned in the other thread I'd be more concerned about the drive wearing out early, since to achieve this they incur a large write amplification cost.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #44
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah the Sandforce garbage collector will keep the performance up better for a non-TRIM OS, though Intel might have a manual TRIM utility for OSX by now.

Even better would be the new V100+ Kingston drives.. that's what they use in the new MacBook Airs, they keep their performance at max no matter what. Though as I mentioned in the other thread I'd be more concerned about the drive wearing out early, since to achieve this they incur a large write amplification cost.
Hmm - do you have any more info or links about Sandforce garbage collection in Mac OSX?

I've barely noticed performance degradation on my X-25M but the benchmarks tell me it's there. I'd be very interested in the Sandforce doesn't have these issues in Mac OS X.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #45
photon

Exp:

Anandtech is where the articles were, I'd have to dig around to find them, but the recent Kingston V100+ review has some good info about it.

(EDIT: V100+ review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4010/k...lus-100-review)

It's not so much that the Sandforce doesn't have the issues on OSX, it's more it does have the issues despite being on TRIM enabled OS's.. meaning that Sandforce doesn't respond to TRIM like other drives do, it's more like a suggestion for Sandforce drives

When I first installed my OS and data, I could see my performance across my drive had fallen in benchmarks, despite having Windows 7 and confirming that TRIM was enabled.

Over time (months) I'd test every so often, and I could see regions of the drive bounce back up to near theoretical performance maxes, this was the Sandforce's garbage collector doing its work. It tries to strike a balance between performance and write amplification/degradation like all drives do, it just picks a more conservative place than some other drives do.

So it's not that the drive doesn't have performance degradation issues due to drive usage on OSX, it's more that the profile of how that will look over time will be similar on a Sandforce drive on Windows 7 and OSX given similar circumstances vs. other drives that might respond "better" to a TRIM command.

And as you kind of implied, the benchmark showing the difference and there being an actual noticeable difference is two very different things, especially on a laptop.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #46
photon

Exp:

And note that the V100+'s performance #'s aren't that great, so from a pure performance degradation point of view the V100+ might be better for a MacBook, but a Sandforce or Intel drive that is degraded probably still would outperform the V100+ in many benchmarks and where it really counts, in the random stuff.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #47
photon

Exp:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3812/t...realssd-c300/9

Another article about a different drive with poor internal garbage collection and how that it doesn't do so well in OSX.

Quote:
I often get questions from Mac users asking what the best SSD is for OS X. Since Apple still won’t support TRIM you need a very resilient drive under OS X. That path leads you to SandForce. Pick up a Corsair Force, OCZ Vertex 2, G.Skill Phoenix or whatever SF drive tickles your fancy if you want the best of the best in your Mac.