Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default What cell (plan) to get for a pre-teen

I know...I know, 11 year old kids don't need a phone, but I'm caving into pressure from the wife and daughter. Besides all the cool kids have one.

Anyway, I thought I'd make everyone happy and use it as a Christmas present. Can anyone tell me the cheapest route to take here? I'm caving in, but I'm gonna be cheap about it! Before any anal thread nazi's blast away at me, I am going to look for myself, but thought I'd ask here first for some direction. Maybe someone knows of a wild deal that's suitable. I guess probably a basic phone would be all that's needed with probably some kind of unlimited text deal. Are pay by the minute cards still around? Would that be a route to take? I have a feeling it's the texting though that she wants more than anything, plus my wife would like that for her as well so they can text whenever after school, etc...whatever...sighhhh. Man, I didn't get my own phone till I got my first place on my own at 19 and the phone had a cord hooked to the wall! Not sure how the hell us kids survived up to that point?!

FWIW I'm on Rogers, and my wife's on Telus if there's a deal to be had there somehow. Thanks in advance.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Unlimited texting for sure
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Can't you get one of those cellphones with no texting and the ability to dial only three numbers?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

11 year old?

Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

My niece received a cellphone for her 13th birthday. 1.5 months later, it disappeared. For the last 3 months, her parents are on the hook for the billings of the last 3 months (3 yr contract).

I would recommend a pay-as-you-go/prepaid sorta thing. I wouldn't want to be on the hook for the rest of a long contract. Although, if you choose otherwise, it won't matter what network you go with if you are bracing for phone loss or damage. I used to be with Telus and got my phone wet. I just bought a pay-as-you go or w/e and replaced it with a 30$ or so hookup fee online. If you go with other providers such as rogers with a sim card, you'd have to get a new sim card. So its pretty much negligible.

Both telus and rogers will have family plans, if you are looking for a contract and deals in that sort of direction. You can always switch your telus prepaid minute contract for a monthly contract and hook it up to a family plan if you wish. I would suggest doing it online. The telus stores are privately owned and charge more for switching contracts. you can phone in or do it online for cheaper.

It really depends what you are looking for. I would go with a pay-as-you-go sort of deal just incase the phone is lost or extremely damaged. That way, you won't be on the hook for monthly billing for 3 yrs and can decide what you want to do for however long you want.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krynski For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
AvsJerk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Get one without a camera. An eleven year old girl might not understand potential problems of taking pictures of herself or friends/non-friends and texting them to others...sexting and bullying. I'm not saying your daughter would do this, but it does happen...so why take the risk?
AvsJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AvsJerk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
11 year old?

Yes...11. And she's wanted one for probably at least a year or more. Why? Because almost every other kid has got one believe it or not. So naturally she needs one also. I have adamantly been against the idea , if not for principal alone, but now wify is on her side and I'm now outnumbered. So thanks a lot all you parents out there that have bought your pre-teen a phone. Now I must continue this outrageous chain. Hopefully some day babys will just be handed one at birth.

By the way, we've already been through the Barbie phone thanks very much.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsJerk View Post
Get one without a camera. An eleven year old girl might not understand potential problems of taking pictures of herself or friends/non-friends and texting them to others...sexting and bullying. I'm not saying your daughter would do this, but it does happen...so why take the risk?
You can block all of that crap. Picture messaging, data use.

PUT A PASSWORD ON THE ACCOUNT!

Scan the kijiji for a cell phone plan. If it is almost done take it over and then call in and "cancel". Ask for an emergency plan with a text option! Go to Howard forums and see what special deals are going on. Way better than the current activating plans now.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 11-20-2010 at 06:27 PM.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My kids got cell phones when they were ten years old. It's pretty common these days for younger kids to get cell phones. As already stated, unlimited texting is a must, these kids text more than they talk. My kids have internet access on their phones, but after a huge phone bill, over 200.00 worth of ringtone and game downloads, they are no longer able to access any purchases via their phone. Had I known how easy it was for them to run up the bill, I would've blocked access when I bought the phones. I definitely recommend blocking any purchases. I've never paid for insurance for their phones. If they lost their phones, they've been cheaply replaced on Ebay for less than what insurance costs.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seven Eleven has a great pay as you go program - cheap cells and cheap minutes with texting. That's the route I'd go. Find a way to disable the camera, for sure.
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amorak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd recommend Virgin Mobile. I've had a cellphone with them for 3 years with no issues since if you are on the prepaid or monthly plans, you will be cut off once you have no more money on the account.

The biggest benefit is the "pre-loved" phones. They currently have this one http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/phones...L&colour=Black which is $30, doesn't have a camera and limited internet access (so no surprise broadband charges). Basically, this thing will text and make calls and little else.

Plan wise, they have a $25/month plan that's 100 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends and unlimited text messages.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #13
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't get a cellphone till I was 15 and I had to share it with my sister. I guess times are changing.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #14
I_am_Beast
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

pay as you go, unlimited text! picture phone works great as you can call you kid, and ask for a picture of the front of the house , wear'n the clothes the left in that day, to prove they are where they are at.

also there is a website if your the cell phone owner, ie put it your name, so you can track the location.

it's a great tool if you kno whow to use it!
I_am_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_am_Beast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #15
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Beast View Post
pay as you go, unlimited text! picture phone works great as you can call you kid, and ask for a picture of the front of the house , wear'n the clothes the left in that day, to prove they are where they are at.

also there is a website if your the cell phone owner, ie put it your name, so you can track the location.

it's a great tool if you kno whow to use it!
Holy crap I feel sorry for your kids. Cut the embilical cord already.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puckluck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 04:12 AM   #16
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
Holy crap I feel sorry for your kids. Cut the embilical cord already.
last time i saw 10 year olds have cell phones, they did a prank call that ended in police showing up to people's houses. I think for young kids having limited cell phones is a good thing.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #17
Antithesis
Disenfranchised

Exp:

When you set it up, describe the exact situation to the representative you speak with and ask for their advice. While they are essentially salesmen/women, they should point you in the right direction.

- I'd block internet access/ability to buy games and ringtones for sure.
- I'd strongly suggest getting a cell phone without a camera if you are still able to do so - not saying anything against your daughter but speaking as a teacher, kids of ANY age just do not 'get' the myriad problems those can cause.
- She'd probably lose her mind if you got a phone without texting, that's all cell phones are to kids that age.
- Cell phone companies will offer many different types of blocks for things like text (I know that one for sure) so maybe they'll be able to block picture messaging and other things, but you'll probably have to ask.

My son is turning three in a week - we were joking around that he is probably the next person in our family that'll get a new cell phone. Good luck!
Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antithesis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsJerk View Post
I'm not sure this is even possible anymore. I get the "basic" models with the weakest plans and have a cell phone with both camera and texting capabilities.

I'd go for one which gives you the ability to override most abilities though Buzzard. I'm not sure the basic cell phones have that, so you might need to do up a bit.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #19
Calgaryborn
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got my 10 and 11 year old boys Bell pay-as-you go phones. They have an unlimited text plan with free local calling from 3 to 7 in the evenings and every weekend. I think it costs $30.00 or something a month. I forget what the rate per minute of phone calls made during peak hours but, it is just subtracted from that monthly payment until the money is all spent.

You can up the plan once in a while if you want them to be able to down load games. Just do it for a month and then go back to your basic plan.
Calgaryborn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgaryborn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #20
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryborn View Post
I got my 10 and 11 year old boys Bell pay-as-you go phones. They have an unlimited text plan with free local calling from 3 to 7 in the evenings and every weekend. I think it costs $30.00 or something a month. I forget what the rate per minute of phone calls made during peak hours but, it is just subtracted from that monthly payment until the money is all spent.

You can up the plan once in a while if you want them to be able to down load games. Just do it for a month and then go back to your basic plan.
That is a great idea. I think 11 is a bit young. My daughter got one when she was 14 and it worked out fine. The biggest concern for the younger age is they lose the phone or drop it 50 times. If it is a pay-as-go and they lose it then you can say "Well, that experiment failed." Then wait until they are older.

One thing I did with my daughter was explain how much it would cost to replace. That she would be paying at least $100 to replace it. Which at the time was a few months allowance. That got her attention.
JustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote