Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-09-2020, 04:50 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Sharks unlikely able to play at home until Thanksgiving (November 26) at the earliest

Quote:
“Sorry to say,” Smith told Supervisor Mike Wasserman, “I don’t expect that we’ll have any sports games until at least Thanksgiving, and we’ll be lucky to have them by Thanksgiving.”

“This is not going to be something that is easy to do,” Smith added.

Smith, who has the authority to close sports facilities, highlighted other reasons for keeping the shelter-in-place orders in place. In addition to the San Francisco 49ers and the San Jose Sharks, the county is home to the San Jose Earthquakes, the San Jose Giants and three major universities, including Stanford, Santa Clara and San Jose State.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/...nt=tw-mercnews

Last edited by transplant99; 04-09-2020 at 04:52 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:25 AM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Entirely possible he's right but hard to predict anything that far out really. If the NFL decides to go forward with their season it will be a bit of an issue but I imagine the 49ers would simply play their home games somewhere else. Same with the Sharks if the NHL goes ahead with the 2020/21 season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Entirely possible he's right but hard to predict anything that far out really. If the NFL decides to go forward with their season it will be a bit of an issue but I imagine the 49ers would simply play their home games somewhere else. Same with the Sharks if the NHL goes ahead with the 2020/21 season.
California seems to have been ahead of the curve in dealing with the pandemic so far. I think if they really do extend their shelter in place orders there until american thanksgiving, we will see many other states take their lead and do the same. Unprecedented times we live in.

At this point I am hoping for a no-fan playoffs in a neutral location. I will reserve all of my hopes about future seasons until mid summer. Way too early to say. If there is a 2nd wave in China for example, I don't think we'll be watching sports until 2021 with a vaccinated population
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Of course the year the Yotes get an owner a ####ing pandemic hits the world

I'm honestly at the point where I abandon sports altogether as a hobby. I think it would be a good idea for all sports to just decide now to be back in 2021. Skip a year.. it'll damage the business but I think as a society people could wait.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
California seems to have been ahead of the curve in dealing with the pandemic so far. I think if they really do extend their shelter in place orders there until american thanksgiving, we will see many other states take their lead and do the same. Unprecedented times we live in.

At this point I am hoping for a no-fan playoffs in a neutral location. I will reserve all of my hopes about future seasons until mid summer. Way too early to say. If there is a 2nd wave in China for example, I don't think we'll be watching sports until 2021 with a vaccinated population
Definitely. Bay Area counties were a few days ahead and the flattening of the curve has been very beneficial.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

making predictions out to November, when news changes daily, is just pointless
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I suspect such delays will become the norm. We may not see professional sports until 2022.

I have no idea what insurance costs could be, but it could be a consideration.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I suspect such delays will become the norm. We may not see professional sports until 2022.

I have no idea what insurance costs could be, but it could be a consideration.

What makes you say 2022? That seems like a worst case scenario that you just made up because I haven't seen any experts predict anything that far out.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #9
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should change the negotiations for next season that way we wont miss anything if there is a lockout
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 08:10 PM   #10
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
What makes you say 2022? That seems like a worst case scenario that you just made up because I haven't seen any experts predict anything that far out.
Because they'll be continued outbreaks even after the peak subsides.

Keeping with current protocols, anyone with close contact (in a contact sport!) will also have to go into isolation.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:46 PM   #11
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

And yet Dr. Fauci the leading infectious diseases expert in the US stated there is hope that we may be able to go on summer vacations. As Enoch said, predicting the situation so far out is silly and not grounded in science or data. The experts aren’t doing it so laymen probably shouldn’t either.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don’t see the empty stadium option working for the NHL. At least this way the owners save the 80 million dollar payroll. They can’t recoup that on tv alone.

For reference the MLB players are not being paid now, they receive a small amount from the union.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
They should change the negotiations for next season that way we wont miss anything if there is a lockout
They have always had the ability to negotiate at any time. In fact, the two sides had already been talking. The reason we have lockouts is because both sides only really do power plays right now. And since neither side can assert pressure on the other, there's just not going to be a whole lot of reason to move on issues.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote