Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2020, 06:55 AM   #61
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1250359646868713472
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:28 PM   #62
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

hopefully he has had time to watch the history of hip-hop music.

it will be interesting to see if he ever gets another shot in the NHL
Old 04-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #63
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yekaterinburg. The place made infamous by the murder of the Czar and his family. Huh.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #64
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for him...I don't think someone should lose their job for life for saying a word

and for the record I 100% agree the Flames had no choice but to let him go
Old 04-15-2020, 02:35 PM   #65
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

In mother Russia...hockey racisms you.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #66
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
It actually does. Racism is a racial prejudice or discrimination. It is kinda hard to prejudice or discriminate black people when there are almost no black people at the first place. Average Russians basically don't give a damn about a race that lives across the globe, rather than actively hate them. Historically, russians and black people had almost no connections, we had no slavery, no black communities, there are no black homeless people on the streets, etc. There are no historical or economical reasons to hate black race. Russians are a tad xenophobic for sure and being half - jewish I have experienced some of that, but that xenophobia is targeted to other ethnic groups, who are actually present and involved on Russian lives. Being racist in Russia is kinda pointless, it's like if Canadians would hate Australian indigenous people.
I don't know if you're up on main events in Russia, but they have some serious problems with racism right now.

https://www.latimes.com/world/africa...102-story.html

In addition to what has become almost casual acts of every day assault, Russia has several white pride and neo-nazi organizations openly operating with 10s of thousands of members each.

Russia also expands well into Asia, so many people in Russia would be considered visible minorities, and they have a rough go of it. Look at the Tatars, who would barely be considered visible minorities.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #67
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1250570729814360070

Huge loss for Avtomobilist... Dawes might be the best player in KHL history

Last edited by TheScorpion; 04-15-2020 at 05:55 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #68
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Let’s give him a PTO for nostalgic purposes
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #69
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Given his contract situation I can't fault a person for following the advice of their lawyer. An apology would be nice and all but in the big picture he knew that was his last big payday and for the sake of his family he had to ensure he didn't say anything incriminating that would give the Flames an opportunity to void money left owing. He made a mistake and he's paid dearly for it and I'm not one of those types of people that believe people should burn at the stake for bad decision making. Hopefully he's had time to look in the mirror, change his ways, and how he treats people. That's all I have to say about the man as he's part of the past now.
He chose short term money for long term respect and a longer career after this blew over. He was paid millions -- he wasn't in danger of heading to the poor house.

They guy made his decisions at the time he said what he said, and all the time there after. He is what we think he is.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #70
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Nigel Dawes may have something to say about this...
Gee... who would've thought....
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 03:47 AM   #71
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Well not quite, but for those who are curious, he is 5th in all time scoring and 14th in all time P/GP. Top scorer of his team.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:42 AM   #72
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

FWIW, a week ago Avtomobilist director said, that Dawes was gone for sure and there are no discussions whatsoever about extending contract as early. It doesn't quite look as Dawes saw Peters coming and quit. More like the team knew Dawes is leaving anyway and hence had no problem about Peters reputation.

Last edited by Pointman; 04-16-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:53 AM   #73
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't know if you're up on main events in Russia, but they have some serious problems with racism right now.

https://www.latimes.com/world/africa...102-story.html

In addition to what has become almost casual acts of every day assault, Russia has several white pride and neo-nazi organizations openly operating with 10s of thousands of members each.

Russia also expands well into Asia, so many people in Russia would be considered visible minorities, and they have a rough go of it. Look at the Tatars, who would barely be considered visible minorities.
You say it's everyday assault, but the article reads "177 acts of violence against blacks have been reported in Russia since 2010". And not all assaults against black are because of the race, as white get assaulted too. And most of those black, according to the article, live on the streets without documents - an environment, which where a lot of crime and hate happens. I also said clearly, that Russia does have teenage nazi groups. Yes, we do.

Those two quotes from the the article are correct and in line with what I've said.

"extremist groups, such as skinheads and neo-Nazis, are being prosecuted more and... are targeting other minority groups, such as people from Central Asia and the Caucasus"

Leaders of right-wing extremist groups deny that they instigate or condone the mistreatment of Africans.

“Africans … don’t present a threat to the Russian population in terms of their numbers inside the country,” said Dmitry Dyomushkin, who heads a nationalist coalition and blames skinheads for the attacks. “If they came here by the millions, then there would be cultural tensions.”
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 06:35 AM   #74
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
He chose short term money for long term respect and a longer career after this blew over. He was paid millions -- he wasn't in danger of heading to the poor house.

They guy made his decisions at the time he said what he said, and all the time there after. He is what we think he is.
Easy to say when you aren't in his shoes and you don't know the stakes. How do you know his financial details? I see a lot of people that make good money in this city that are in dire straits during this pandemic. On one hand you think if he apologized this would have blown over so you are marginalizing what he did and on the other you seem to think he's a really bad person. What is it? This is why I certainly would be looking at what was best for myself and my family over the opinions of the internet mob which is ripe hypocrites.

Unlike you I don't believe it would have blown over nor should it. I just believe he really doesn't owe us anything as he's already lost a lot.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #75
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Relevant

https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-he...-khl-1.1466842
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #76
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
Let’s give him a PTO for nostalgic purposes
Oh God no!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #77
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1250853419314790401

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #78
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

j/k
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:00 PM   #79
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Color me crazy, but telling a black hockey player to turn off the music containing the "N" word many times in a dressing room still doesn't strike me a racism. lets face it folks, rap music containing the garbage that it does has no right to screw anyone from a job. Peters got thrown threw the coals for saying what 99% of people would think.

Having said that, I'm glad he's not the flames coach but for other reasons but not because he requested to turn that N... shat off.
It's all in the context of the word...
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #80
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
A wannabe Eminem redneck! Great
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote