Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2020, 07:11 AM   #41
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 04-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #42
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I’m having a tough time remembering some really exciting Flames games this season to rewatch. Can anyone help me out with 3 or 5 that they would recommend?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #43
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post
Ugh, maybe next up I'll go back down the '94 Vancouver series rabbit-hole. That one always seemed to sting a bit more than this one did.
Thanks for this trip down memory lane. The 95, 94 and 93 series all sting a bit for me, for different reasons.

93: We were a much better team than LA (they made the finals, too). Mike Vernon getting injured really screwed us, especially in Game 6 when we lost 9-6 despite only outshooting the Kings 46-20 or something like that. Jeff Reese was brutal.

94: Having a 3-1 lead then losing three straight in overtime pretty much says it all. I think another reason it stung more than 95 is because I truly think the Flames could have made the finals if they won this series.

95: Outscoring the Sharks by that much and still losing and on top of it, getting upset for a third year in a row.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #44
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Thanks for this trip down memory lane. The 95, 94 and 93 series all sting a bit for me, for different reasons.

93: We were a much better team than LA (they made the finals, too). Mike Vernon getting injured really screwed us, especially in Game 6 when we lost 9-6 despite only outshooting the Kings 46-20 or something like that. Jeff Reese was brutal.

94: Having a 3-1 lead then losing three straight in overtime pretty much says it all. I think another reason it stung more than 95 is because I truly think the Flames could have made the finals if they won this series.

95: Outscoring the Sharks by that much and still losing and on top of it, getting upset for a third year in a row.
100 percent agree with the '94 team. I think that squad was set up to go on a run. If we beat Vancouver we end up playing Dallas which would have been a winnable series (easy for me to say thought, right?). Then onto Toronto (who barely squeaked by SJ). By the actual conference finals that season, Toronto had just run out of gas as I think they were the better team than Vancouver but Vancouver was just on cruise control after the CGY series.

Anyway, I just like the lineup we iced against Vancouver a lot.

Roberts - Nieuwy - Stern
Titov - Reichel - Fleury
Sullivan - Otto/Walz - Nylander
Kruse - Kisio - McCarthy

Musil - Chopper
ZZ - Patrick
Yawney - Dahl
Keczmer dressed as a 7th Dman a few times as well

Otto getting hurt getting injured in Game 3 really put a hole in the bottom 6 and that played a huge factor in this series, IMO. Who know's, maybe if we beat Vancouver, Dallas exposes that? Still, I just really liked this team for whatever reason. Maybe it was due to the last hurrah of Mac and Vernie; along with the end of an era for the '89 SC era jerseys.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EastCoastFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #45
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
93: We were a much better team than LA (they made the finals, too). Mike Vernon getting injured really screwed us, especially in Game 6 when we lost 9-6 despite only outshooting the Kings 46-20 or something like that. Jeff Reese was brutal. (Reese was just as bad in game 5).

Good stuff, agree with you, and heartbreaking. May as well continue it. The 90 and 93 series against the Kings, it's bizarre how the Kings lit up the Flames back up goalie badly. The 91 series against the Oilers, that one hurts the most.

90: Very similar things you said about the 93 series happened here too. The Flames were by far the better team than the Kings. In game 4 Vernon gets pulled after 3 goals on 7 shots with Rick Wamsley taking over and he was brutal (9 goals on 23 shots). The Kings won 12-4.

91: Being down 3-1 and coming back to tie the series for a BOA game 7. Fleury's OT winner in game 6, all was good and then up 3-0 in the deciding game. The roof caved in after that with bleeping Tikkanen getting the hat trick. The Flames were once again the better team here and could have made it at least to the 3rd round.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #46
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Good stuff, agree with you, and heartbreaking. May as well continue it. The 90 and 93 series against the Kings, it's bizarre how the Kings lit up the Flames back up goalie badly. The 91 series against the Oilers, that one hurts the most.

90: Very similar things you said about the 93 series happened here too. The Flames were by far the better team than the Kings. In game 4 Vernon gets pulled after 3 goals on 7 shots with Rick Wamsley taking over and he was brutal (9 goals on 23 shots). The Kings won 12-4.

91: Being down 3-1 and coming back to tie the series for a BOA game 7. Fleury's OT winner in game 6, all was good and then up 3-0 in the deciding game. The roof caved in after that with bleeping Tikkanen getting the hat trick. The Flames were once again the better team here and could have made it at least to the 3rd round.
I actually found a really good/clean copy of the '91 BOA Game 7: https://youtu.be/1rnNSYLi_zg

I hadn't seen this game in full since...maybe forever? I didn't start watching Flames games until the 93 season, so I've only seen highlights of this one. It's a tough and frustrating watch for sure, but important non the less as from a Hockey History perspective, IMO, it's one of the best series of all time.

Did we even determine what happened to Makarov? I don't this this comes up at all during the game. Was he hurt? It's also too bad we never got that Gilmour 93/94 playoff magic. Dougie was a great player for us but he was on another level during those two seasons in Toronto. He's there in this game but never really stands out. Ranheim and Stern seemed more dangerous than Killer in this game.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EastCoastFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #47
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Saw this on twitter...thought i would plop it here

https://twitter.com/user/status/1251159949213700096
Old 04-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #48
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

watched the first half of the Steve Smith game last night, boy the lines- at least the bit I watched- were not what I remember typically for that playoff year (recognizing that with injuries they kept getting flipped around)

Tonelli Pep Lanny
Fotiu(!) Otto Mullen
Bozek Riser Loob
Patterson Berezan Hunter

MacInnis Macoun
Suter Sheehy
Reinhart Johnson

(I'm pretty sure these are correct- it was one of those game in an hour kind of things so was hard to judge, I have little doubt the bench got shortened as the game went on)

(my general recollection of that year and playoffs was
24-29-7
27-8-9

then Loob and Patterson/Bozek with whomever of Wilson, Eaves or Quinn was healthy

Last edited by looooob; 04-18-2020 at 08:48 AM.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #49
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other day I was watching a bit of the LA/Chicago game 7 and I turned away the TV as I realized that a new episode of Law & Order was on. I later wondered if that was the game that had that 10 or so minute sequence with no whistles in the second period
Old 04-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #50
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks to everyone for providing some memories and insight on the early 90’s playoff series. I’ve wanted to ask more about them but didn’t want to bring up the bad memories. My first game was Game 7 vs. the Sharks in ‘95. What did Kidd have to say about his performance in this series, if anything? Please excuse me while I go scream into my pillow...
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tabaracci_31 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #51
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, 90 and 91 were all other different kinds of awful. Especially that lead in Game 7 in 1991. Amazing that the Flames were eliminated in overtime in:

1990 (Game 6) - Double OT
1991 (Game 7)
1994 (Game 7) - Double OT
1995 (Game 7) - Double OT
1996 (Game 4) - Triple OT

We really used up a lot of karma with that Game 7 OT win in 1989.

It was, of course, fitting that the next time the Flames made the playoffs it went to Game 7 OT.

Last edited by Sidney Crosby's Hat; 04-18-2020 at 10:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #52
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Heads up and enjoy it all over again.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:04 AM   #53
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, 90 and 91 were all other different kinds of awful. Especially that lead in Game 7 in 1991. Amazing that the Flames were eliminated in overtime in:

1990 (Game 6) - Double OT
1991 (Game 7)
1994 (Game 7) - Double OT
1995 (Game 7) - Double OT
1996 (Game 4) - Triple OT

We really used up a lot of karma with that Game 7 OT win in 1989.

It was, of course, fitting that the next time the Flames made the playoffs it went to Game 7 OT.
The 1996 elimination game was a different level of drama and disappointment. Tabaracci playing so well and nearly had the shutout until Roenick scored to tie the game with 9 seconds left in reg time. The OT periods were a blast and then friggin Joe Murphy scored the clinching GWG for the sweep. A bunch of us were pissed that the ex-Oiler scored it.

It was a huge relief for the Flames to finally win a series and a game 7 again in 2004. That was payback to the Canucks from a decade earlier. Then it was time to double the OT clinching pleasure with Curtis Joseph being in net and losing game 6. It balanced things out from 96 with the ex-Oiler being eliminated this time.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #54
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The 1996 elimination game was a different level of drama and disappointment. Tabaracci playing so well and nearly had the shutout until Roenick scored to tie the game with 9 seconds left in reg time. The OT periods were a blast and then friggin Joe Murphy scored the clinching GWG for the sweep. A bunch of us were pissed that the ex-Oiler scored it.

It was a huge relief for the Flames to finally win a series and a game 7 again in 2004. That was payback to the Canucks from a decade earlier. Then it was time to double the OT clinching pleasure with Curtis Joseph being in net and losing game 6. It balanced things out from 96 with the ex-Oiler being eliminated this time.
The '96 team was interesting as they started out so poorly (3-15-5) and then on the back of Gary Roberts, who had an unbelievable stretch of games, the team got red hot. I thought they were going to be in a position to contend but then Roberts got hurt again right before the end of the season and the team went into the tubes.

19-12-4 with Roberts and 15-25-7 without him.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:49 PM   #55
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have PVR’d game 7 against the Canucks in 2004 and game 6 in 2015. Today I recorded 2 of our wins against the Oil in January of this year. I would love to get more 04
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:35 AM   #56
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve watched bits and pieces of old Flames games here and there. Mostly just to reminisce on the players that were around at those times. Can’t say I’ve watched an entire game, I never was a fan of watching games where the outcome was already known. I can’t even PVR a game or watch it on delay. I’m weird like that.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:43 AM   #57
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been watching all 8 NHL games they've been playing. Over and over and over again.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:11 AM   #58
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I've been watching all 8 NHL games they've been playing. Over and over and over again.
This is a big time improvement.

Seven unforgettable series, seven Canadian teams. Sportsnet is turning back the clock to relive Canada’s most unforgettable best-of-seven Stanley Cup Playoffs series with NHL Classics: Best of Seven Series, starting April 20 and running until May 9. https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...air-sportsnet/

Wednesday, April 22 – Game 1: Montreal @ Calgary (SN)
Sunday, April 26 – Game 2: Montreal @ Calgary (SN)
Tuesday, April 28 – Game 3: Calgary @ Montreal (SN)
Saturday, May 2 – Game 4: Calgary @ Montreal (SN)
Wednesday, May 6 – Game 5: Montreal @ Calgary (SN)
Friday, May 8 – Game 6: Calgary @ Montreal (SN)

It's too bad that SN isn't showing the 1986 series, the Habs get shown twice with the 1993 Kings-Habs SC final.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #59
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to everyone posting about the 90s Flames, I was young enough to start watching in 94 and remember year after year of heart break because they lost but not truly understanding how good of a team they had. I know it's easy to go back and look at some of those series they should have won and go "what if" they had won one in OT maybe they could have gone on a run. I do wonder tho, if they had beat the Sharks in 95, the next year when Nieuwendyk holds out if the GM thinks they are close to contending and instead of trading him for a young Iginla wants a more veteran presence and we never get the Iggy years. Just a thought.

One series I would like to re-watch in it's entirety would be the 04 one against the Wings. I was at Game 6 and even tho it ended 1-0 it was one of the most exciting games I can ever remember. The sheer thrill of seeing Gelinas score in OT, but also remember Conroy playing with the cage to start the series and Iginla fighting Hatcher. The fact no one gave us a chance and we were able to pull off the upset.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #60
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Saw this on twitter...thought i would plop it here

https://twitter.com/user/status/1251159949213700096
This will be forever engrained in my memory. I know that Ferland gets all of the hype during that series, but to me Engelland was a huge part on why we had that toughness in the backend. I think we need another player like him on the bottom pairing.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote