Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Floor Speaker suggestions

Hello,

I'm in the market for new speakers. Used only to watch movies and playing games on the XBOX 360. My receiver is the Pioneer VSX-07TX. I already have a centre channel speaker and rear bookshelf speakers.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POC...VSX-07TX?tab=B

Would I be able to find something decent for under $350?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by CRXguy; 01-03-2008 at 02:17 AM.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:16 AM   #2
Rhetts_the_Best
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 would be my choice @ $214 a pair from buy.com
Rhetts_the_Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:29 AM   #3
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you can afford it, check out Paradigm. You might be able to get two fronts from the Monitor 7 series for close to that. I am not sure what they sell for now.

I have owned Monitors and Reference series speakers before, and my brother has the Signatures. We love the way they sound.

Call General Audio here in town, and ask them what the Monitor 7's sell for these days.

http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/...ronts.paradigm
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
Hello,

I'm in the market for new speakers. Used only to watch movies and playing games on the XBOX 360. My receiver is the Pioneer VSX-07TX. I already have a centre channel speaker and rear bookshelf speakers.
I would say that if you have a decent centre channel, then to try and match up the speakers to that. With 5.1 sound as opposed to the old Pro-Logic surround, your centre channel gets as much signal as your front speakers. So if you have strong fronts and a lesser centre, you will get a "bow-tie effect", where your sound going from left to right dips as it passes through the centre.

The other thing I often recommend is if you plan on building your system but by bit, get decent fronts with the plan to eventually move them to the rear when it's time to upgrade again.

Edit- and also don't be afraid to haggle when buying speakers. Most speakers have a fair amount of markup in them compared to other electronics. When I worked in sales if I was hungry enough I would get the price down 25% to make a sale.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I must admit, the title of the thread lead me to believe you were going to take the floor at the Parliament or Legislature, or you were referring to the Speaker of the House.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Klipsch is a good brand for HT use, especially with moderately powered receivers, as they are very efficient (don't need gobs of power to get some detail out of them), I believe London Drugs sell them in town. Could also check canuck audiomart, an online used dealer specifically for speakers and such.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Edit- and also don't be afraid to haggle when buying speakers. Most speakers have a fair amount of markup in them compared to other electronics. When I worked in sales if I was hungry enough I would get the price down 25% to make a sale.
When I bought my Paradigm subwoofer from Soundsurround a few years ago, I told the guy what I would pay and he said he couldn't go for it, so I left. He literally came running out of the store as I was getting in my car to say he would give me my price.

It's is your money and there are lots of audio stores who are more than willing to make a deal.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll second Paradigm. Even their entry level CT speakers sound very good. I'd love to upgrade them someday, but they do the trick for now.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote