Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #1441
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
2ho do you think would do better, Gaudreau and Monahan or Eichel and Hall?

Whenever you get a chance to add a true #1 center, you do it. They'll make other players better and you can always trade for better wingers.
That is such a stupid argument because you can do better with Gaudreau, Monahan and Hall. Hall has absolutely nothing to do with the value of this trade.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #1442
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Their with/without numbers suggest the absolute opposite.
You mean players don't produce as well with less talented linemates they aren't used to? I for one am shocked. SHOCKED.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:04 AM   #1443
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
When you add 1 player, that makes almost as much as both of those players combined and produces significantly less, then throw in a first round pick on top of it is absolutely a terrible trade. Frankly, I can't understand how anyone can think otherwise. Because it's not even in the same universe as a fair deal.
Flames save over $3M in cap and gain multiple years of team control in the trade.

Eichel had 1.14ppg this year
Monahan has 0.69 and Gaudreau had 0.83

Flames get the best, youngest player in the trade with the most control in terms of contract. Adding a franchise center to this team and having the ability to add a top line winger in Free agency would improve our chances next year and moving forward.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #1444
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is such a stupid argument because you can do better with Gaudreau, Monahan and Hall. Hall has absolutely nothing to do with the value of this trade.
The Eichel trade frees up north of $3M to take up a chunk of the Hall money and it could still be tight. Not sure how they add Hall to Gaudreau and Monahan without shedding big money?
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #1445
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You mean players don't produce as well with less talented linemates they aren't used to? I for one am shocked. SHOCKED.
It's more than just production.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #1446
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I want to see this core given every chance to win here in Calgary the thought of Monahan + Gaudreau + 1st for Eichel then sign Hall is an interesting thought. I still find it hard to do though because our 2nd line doesn’t improve and give us a truly lethal top 6 and I really think Monahan and Gaudreau are at times criminally under rated.

Hall - Eichel - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane

It really is sad to not see Mony and Jonny in the top 6 but Hall/Eichel could be crazy dangerous especially with Lindholm being a gun as well.

Id prefer signing Hall and adding to the current group

Hall - Monahan - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm

More balanced in my opinion with a lot more fire power on the 2nd line now. Definitely two interesting scenarios to consider though for sure!
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #1447
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Flames save over $3M in cap and gain multiple years of team control in the trade.

Eichel had 1.14ppg this year
Monahan has 0.69 and Gaudreau had 0.83

Flames get the best, youngest player in the trade with the most control in terms of contract. Adding a franchise center to this team and having the ability to add a top line winger in Free agency would improve our chances next year and moving forward.
So even in a down year the Flames current duo produced 0.38 points per game more. It's a pretty clear downgrade on the ice.

And yes, if we kept both, we'd have to shed salary for Hall, but we'd be doing so out of the bottom 6, not removing offensive weapons.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #1448
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So even in a down year the Flames current duo produced 0.38 points per game more. It's a pretty clear downgrade on the ice.

And yes, if we kept both, we'd have to shed salary for Hall, but we'd be doing so out of the bottom 6, not removing offensive weapons.
Who in the bottom 6? Ryan is the only candidate that makes the same money and the team could move.

End of the day I think there is no chance Eichel is trades by Buffalo. I think the Flames move Johnny for picks, prospects and cap relief and they sign Hall. They won’t have all 3 of Hall, Johnny and Monahan on the team.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #1449
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I doubt it would be hard to replace the missing 0.38 points per game with another player playing on the first line. That’s a 31 point player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #1450
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

It would be Eichel + someone else (hopefully Hall or better yet Lafreniere or Mangiapane or whoever you want) vs JG + SG, not JE + nothing vs JG + SM. That 0.38 is pretty misleading if you're just not going to factor in the fourth player for some reason. Is Eichel playing a man down or something? If you got Eichel, he probably turns Mangi into a 30 goal guy and Tkachuk into a 85 point guy if you make that your 1st line. The trickle down effects when getting a superstar are significant. Whoever plays with Eichel will see their stats and status balloon. I would drive JG + SM to the airport to get Lindholm and Tkachuk a true blue superstar center to play with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #1451
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
It would be Eichel + someone else (hopefully Hall or better yet Lafreniere or Mangiapane or whoever you want) vs JG + SG, not JE + nothing vs JG + SM. That 0.38 is pretty misleading if you're just not going to factor in the fourth player for some reason. Is Eichel playing a man down or something? If you got Eichel, he probably turns Mangi into a 30 goal guy and Tkachuk into a 85 point guy if you make that your 1st line. The trickle down effects when getting a superstar are significant. Whoever plays with Eichel will see their stats and status balloon. I would drive JG + SM to the airport to get Lindholm and Tkachuk a true blue superstar center to play with.
That tells me all I need to know about your fandom and opinions. I'm not going to even entertain the ideas of someone who wants to lose.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #1452
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That tells me all I need to know about your fandom and opinions. I'm not going to even entertain the ideas of someone who wants to lose.
I dont like the Eichel idea one bit. Like its absurd to me. Like tar and feather the ones thinking Monahan AND Gaudreau and more for eichel. Its dumb dumb dumb.

But this accusatory and inflammatory post isn't really fair. Saying a bonus would be Lafreniere isnt hoping for loses, but a silver lining to a negative outcome. Which isn't a bad thing. Getting Lafreniere would be a major boost to the Flames ability to move say a Gaudreau. With at least 6 years of cost certainty.

Last edited by dammage79; 07-11-2020 at 01:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #1453
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion Eichel and Tkachuk would be one of the most dynamic superstar duos in the league and in the same tier as McDavid/Draisaitl, Matthews/Marner, MacKinnon/Rantanen. The thought of having Hall, Lindholm, Backlund, Mangipane, Dube providing depth would be far better than anything Eichel has ever had to work with and I think they would be one of the top teams in the league.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #1454
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would you guys pay a pick or prospect for Demko? He could be our backup goaltender that plays 1/3 of the games behind Rittich, would be a buy-low option where we wouldn't have to give up a ton for him and not a whole lot of cap space either. Have him exposed at the Seattle draft so that it makes it tougher for Seattle to decide who they are taking from the Flames.

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 07-11-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #1455
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has gone over the edge in full on Thelma and Louise fashion. Trading away Gaudreau and Monahan ($13.075M), who is a very down year scored 106 points, for Eichel ($10M), who in his career year scored 78 points, is insane. If we are to compare apples to apples, that being career years, the comparison is Eichel scoring 93 points versus Monahan and Gaudreau scoring 181 points. So who in their right minds trades two top line players in the NHL, including a top line center and an elite LW (top five in the league over the past four three seasons) for a guy that has not shown an ability to carry his team to the post season?

The thought of drafting Lafreniere is another concept so out there it makes my head hurt. This is the Calgary Flames, not the Edmonton Oilers. Thinking Lafreniere is in the mix is silly. All the years we laughed at Oiler fans for counting their chickens, but here are some of our fans counting their chickens. How about we deal with reality. We are going to beat the Jets and then see a meltdown in the first round of the playoffs. This is Calgary, and this is playoff hockey.

:-)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #1456
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
In my opinion Eichel and Tkachuk would be one of the most dynamic superstar duos in the league and in the same tier as McDavid/Draisaitl, Matthews/Marner, MacKinnon/Rantanen. The thought of having Hall, Lindholm, Backlund, Mangipane, Dube providing depth would be far better than anything Eichel has ever had to work with and I think they would be one of the top teams in the league.
First, Eichel is not McDavid. Second, Tkachuk is not Draisaitl. No, they would not be a dynamic duo on par with the best in the league. They play completely different styles of hockey. I don't see the connection at all. What is really disconcerting is you're basically following the Edmonton Oiler game plan and stacking all your talent up on the 1st line and hoping you can make due with lesser talent throughout the rest of the lineup. Lindholm is left on his own with no talent in the system to step up and support that second line. Backlund, Mangipane, and Dube are all best suited for third line duty, but would be pushed up another line and thin the ranks. Spend your money wisely, not on guys that rack up points but don't move the needle. Eichel is a point scorer, but does not move the needle. Just stay away from him. We don't have the cheap young talent in the system to support him.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #1457
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This thread has gone over the edge in full on Thelma and Louise fashion. Trading away Gaudreau and Monahan ($13.075M), who is a very down year scored 106 points, for Eichel ($10M), who in his career year scored 78 points, is insane. If we are to compare apples to apples, that being career years, the comparison is Eichel scoring 93 points versus Monahan and Gaudreau scoring 181 points. So who in their right minds trades two top line players in the NHL, including a top line center and an elite LW (top five in the league over the past four three seasons) for a guy that has not shown an ability to carry his team to the post season?

The thought of drafting Lafreniere is another concept so out there it makes my head hurt. This is the Calgary Flames, not the Edmonton Oilers. Thinking Lafreniere is in the mix is silly. All the years we laughed at Oiler fans for counting their chickens, but here are some of our fans counting their chickens. How about we deal with reality. We are going to beat the Jets and then see a meltdown in the first round of the playoffs. This is Calgary, and this is playoff hockey.

:-)
That's hardly an apples-to-apples comparison. 181 points does not mean 181 goals, it's more like 120-140 more likely. It's not like we have to play 4v5 when Eichel's on the ice - somebody's gonna be playing LW in Gaudreau's spot picking up some extra points. And upgrading the top end of your lineup is incredibly valuable and incredibly hard to do. Especially when you'd be adding someone who's hands-down better than anyone you're trading.

I highly highly doubt Eichel's available, so this is all a fairly moot point, but a young superstar center is an asset you pay almost anything to acquire.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #1458
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a regular Stanley Cup playoff tournament to me, it's just not. The first two rounds will be coin tosses because guys will be shaking off months of rust. I'm just not as invested, sue me. Watch Chicago win the cup or something when they shouldn't even be there to begin with.

But good to know you think you're better than me lol. All because I want Lafrenniere over the covid cup. I want what's best for this team, but I guess that makes me a bad fan lol
Old 07-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #1459
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
That's hardly an apples-to-apples comparison. 181 points does not mean 181 goals, it's more like 120-140 more likely. It's not like we have to play 4v5 when Eichel's on the ice - somebody's gonna be playing LW in Gaudreau's spot picking up some extra points. And upgrading the top end of your lineup is incredibly valuable and incredibly hard to do. Especially when you'd be adding someone who's hands-down better than anyone you're trading.

I highly highly doubt Eichel's available, so this is all a fairly moot point, but a young superstar center is an asset you pay almost anything to acquire.
What type of top end talent do you think you get for $3M a season? That would make a fair comparable. See what that type of talent looks like by looking at the roster up the QE2. Never go full Oiler. EVER.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:37 PM   #1460
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Lindholm costs $4.8. Play him with Eichel... you're golden.

Closed Thread