Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-06-2022, 09:30 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is interesting... I would pretty much consider anyone who gets those things confused as being borderline technology illiterate at this point.
Apple doesn't even list RAM in their specifications.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #22
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you want to stick with Apple get the 13 Pro. If you want to go with Android get the upcoming Pixel 7 Pro. Those two are by far the champions of cell phone picture taking because of their respective photo software. Samsung has nice specs but is well behind those other two when it comes to its final picture quality, not to mention Samsung's ridiculous bloatware. If you care about picture quality and that is a main factor in your phone choice go Apple Pro or Pixel Pro.
Samsung doesn't have bloatware that any casual user would notice, nor many power users. This is just a dumb myth that keeps getting parroted.

Don't get a Pixel. The Pixel 6 is riddled with problems and is a giant POS. I wouldn't trust the upcoming Pixel 7, either. I had the Pixel 6 and unloaded on some poor sucker because it was such a pile.

Bad advice all around in the above post.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:07 AM   #23
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is interesting... I would pretty much consider anyone who gets those things confused as being borderline technology illiterate at this point.
LOL, people aren't confusing RAM with storage; they're using the term "memory" for storage. Which used to be totally incorrect in the age of mechanical hard drives, but with the proliferation of nonvolatile flash memory as a storage medium, it's actually not really incorrect anymore. Even the most technically literate people refer to SD cards as "memory cards" even though they're used for storage, and that's because they use flash memory.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 10:16 AM   #24
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sliver’s Pixel was a giant POS. Mine has worked almost trouble-free from day 1 and impresses with its capabilities whenever I use it around folks with standard issue iPhones.

I think there was a big batch of lemons in the first production run of the P6. My assumption is that the majority of owners are silently enjoying their phones with no problems.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:34 AM   #25
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge negative with the Pixel is super slow charging.
Two hour charge? Oof
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:04 AM   #26
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, if you're a medium to heavy user, fast charging is a must have.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:26 AM   #27
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah... but I feel like the inmates took over the asylum about half a decade ago. Everything is jumbled up and messed up now from layman terms, so I don't bother trying unless I run into someone who can speak essentially in pure technical.

I use them interchangeably as a bad habit now. I find you'll also run into enough technologically illiterate people who will actually argue with you about being an uppity #######, so I just straight up don't bother anymore. It's in the same realm as "literally" for me now. My wife is one of these people. "Why do you need to be so specific with your terms. You basically understand what I/they mean anyways."

I think the issue is that a property computer uses storage for hard drive and memory for RAM. But in tablets and phones, they don't really advertise RAM at all, so most people end up somehow using storage and memory as interchangeable terms.

When dealing with things at a high level, it's RAM vs SSD/HDD; MHz, Ghz; MB, GB and TB. We've gotten so close in some senses that it isn't as crazy as a faux pas anymore. The other day I was looking at M.2 specs and it's listed as 2400 MB/s; 3500 MB/s and 7000 MB/s sequential read/write speeds. Reading this and with the argument as to what constitutes a gigabyte (1000 MB vs 1024 MB) blah, blah, blah...

Storage and memory are IMO layman terms anyways.

Don't even get started on the "best image" questions from some people. "Do you mean best camera on the phone or best screen?" vs "The one that looks the best when you video call/the one that will look better on my Instagram when I make posts from my phone/sometimes if I need to do live clips." I'm reminded of the Simpson's spelling bee and expecting to be wrong no matter what I say at this point... "I don't know whether the weather will improve." I often ask what internet speeds/data speeds these individuals have to be incredulously told they thought I knew about technology... but obviously not if I don't even know something basic like this about phones...

I grew up aiding the era of people who though you could destroy a DVD/CD by accident if you loaded it wrong (ie: PTSD from destroying VHS/tape).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Thank you to everyone who has offered advice and opinions. I was 60-40 between an iPhone and Samsung but am going to go with the 13 Pro that you recommended. I think I’ll wait until late September or early October as I think the new phone should be coming out and then-prices of the older phone should drop a bit (I’m told).

Our trip starts Oct. 7 and I expect to take thousands of photos. I just have to decide how much storage I need. Any advice on that would be appreciated.
TL;DR - Buy as early as possible to get used to phone and get accessories for it. I'd assume or your situation, 256GB + 50GB iCloud or 128GB + 50GB or 200GB iCloud would be the decision you should make.

My assumption is that 128GB + iCloud upload + compression once you exceed 80% usage is likely enough for your needs going forward. Anything over that is likely overkill. Price difference is approx 128/256 GB (About $100-150 difference) and 50/200GB iCloud ($1.30/$3.99 per month).

Typically, 256GB+ with/without iCloud is basically only if you are lazy to manually download media and/or are usually near your storage limit and cannot iCloud for periods at a time. Honestly, you'd have to do insane amounts of photos and videos (like 8000-10K photos/videos per year on a sustained basis without wanting to iCloud too much of the media) to really justify 256GB+ and if you look at your current usage on your XR, it'll give you an idea of what you've done to date. If current storage below 50%, do 128GB. If over 50%, maybe you can justify 256GB.

In all seriousness though, download media to a computer/make back ups regularly and iCloud. The amount of people who would lose all the pictures they've ever taken for the past several years+ if their phone was lost/destroyed is way too high. $50 a year ish for 200GB to reduce that risk is basically nothing, especially if it means reducing the risk priceless memories are not lost. In reality, you should also download the pics from your phone to a computer and back them up on top of iCloud... but people are lazy/forgetful and #### happens (ie: backup schedule borks; future Cloud overwrite issues/hacks etc.). Don't rely on only retaining one copy of the high quality media.

Don't worry about Apple price drops. I think it's typically not really a huge amount $50-100 and often delayed by several months/in the form of a gift card/headphones etc. that might be relatively useless to you. The prices are typically adjusted and pretty close a few months before release anyways IIRC.

You want to make sure you give yourself a week to get used to the phone before you go. Make sure you get the accessories you need as well. This way, if you're waiting on some accessories and whatnot, (ie: selfie sticks, phone cases, screen protectors etc.) that you're not potentially missing receiving or applying them within a few days prior to your trip. If you're migrating from the XR, I think most of the new gestures and whatnot you're familiar with already (unlike a migration from an 8 with a button), but I cannot say for certain there's completely no differences between the two that might trip you up for the first little bit. Even if it drops $50-100, it's sometimes not worth being ready before a big trip.

On iOS, get used for certain things to default to video, then clicking on the shutter for pics + video when the video is recording. The pictures taken in video mode might not be as good as those taken in photo mode, panorama or portrait mode, but a video with some decent pictures is often going to be so much better than just pictures of a trip/event.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:07 PM   #28
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Sliver’s Pixel was a giant POS. Mine has worked almost trouble-free from day 1 and impresses with its capabilities whenever I use it around folks with standard issue iPhones.

I think there was a big batch of lemons in the first production run of the P6. My assumption is that the majority of owners are silently enjoying their phones with no problems.
Have had a Pixel 6 pro for 6 month's now, being a Pixel, Pixel 2XL and Pixel 3 owner, the pixel 6 pro is by far the best phone I have owned. I haven't experienced a single issue and love pretty much everything about it.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #29
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I upgraded from an older iPhone to the iPhone 13 recently and it’s a nice phone.
What’s nice about it is it’s quite a seamless transition as everything is still Apple, the bigger screen is nice, I watch games on it, haven’t used the camera too much but it’s very nice and sharp images.
I think I also have the option of getting a newer phone in a couple years.

If you’ve never had one and are thinking about it, it’s a good product.

What I don’t like about it is the keyboard and sometimes the interface seems out of sync when you’re pressing one button and it’s reacting to the one beside it not just for typing. There was also quite a bit of knocking from movement when I first got it but it’s all quieter now although still there sometimes. Minor things but still a good phone to me.

Last edited by Macman; 06-06-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:26 PM   #30
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
LOL, people aren't confusing RAM with storage; they're using the term "memory" for storage. Which used to be totally incorrect in the age of mechanical hard drives, but with the proliferation of nonvolatile flash memory as a storage medium, it's actually not really incorrect anymore. Even the most technically literate people refer to SD cards as "memory cards" even though they're used for storage, and that's because they use flash memory.
Exactly. Consumers use 'memory' as short-hand for 'storage capacity'. Confusing RAM with storage assumes most consumers are even paying attention to how much RAM their phones come with -- most wouldn't know if you asked them. Hell, I didn't even realize my phone (iPhone 11 Pro) has only 4 GB of RAM until I looked it up just now and I'm in software development. I just assumed it was probably ~6 GB or so. To the majority of users, it really doesn't / shouldn't matter.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:33 AM   #31
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Yeah, if you're a medium to heavy user, fast charging is a must have.
Momma bought me a OnePlus 10 Pro for Fathers Day. Just charged it from 21 to 88% in 20 minutes. This phone is fabulous
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:57 AM   #32
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after three iPhones in 4 years my son finally admitted he only uses apple is because his friends have them but otherwise they suck.

Meanwhile my 5+ year old Galaxy S8+ is still running strong
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:27 AM   #33
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
So after three iPhones in 4 years my son finally admitted he only uses apple is because his friends have them but otherwise they suck.

Given the state of phones now, going with the same thing most people in your circle have is as good a reason as any, especially if it’s Apple and there’s iMessage group considerations and stuff.

None of the top phones suck. I’d argue they’re all great, and even the off-brand ones like One Plus or Nothing fill needs really substantially. Just depends on which one suits your needs best.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

If your son has gone through three iPhones in four years it's a son problem and not a phone problem.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2022, 07:58 AM   #35
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Given the state of phones now, going with the same thing most people in your circle have is as good a reason as any, especially if it’s Apple and there’s iMessage group considerations and stuff.

None of the top phones suck. I’d argue they’re all great, and even the off-brand ones like One Plus or Nothing fill needs really substantially. Just depends on which one suits your needs best.
I don’t care too much about iMessage because most of my friends and family use Android but it’s amazing to see people on twitter complaining about green bubbles. It’s also pretty insidious of Apple to use green knowing the slight dip in contrast is off-putting to those people.

I still use an iPhone for daily use because that’s what I’m most comfortable with, but I have a Samsung S22 Ultra too because it’s a productivity monster.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera , cell phone , iphone , samsung galaxy