Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-07-2022, 01:46 PM   #1
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Arcade 1Up: Anybody else creating a home arcade?

Has anybody else entered into the addictive world that is Arcade 1Up?

Honestly I haven't even played them a ton, but just love the way they look and the aesthetic they add to a mancave in the basement.

I have the original TMNT cabinet, and the NBA Jam cabinet at this point, but am also looking at potentially getting one of the Outrun cabinets. https://www.thebrick.com/products/ar...arcade-cabinet

Would love if they would come out with a Time Crisis light gun cabinet one day too...might have to look at Big Buck World though at some point if I can find one on sale / used.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had considered making my own arcade cabinet using RetroPie, but then COVID hit and suddenly it didn't make a lot of sense to build something where the most enjoyment would be had playing with friends locally.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

When I have cash to allow such a frivolous purchase, I will be grabbing one of these

https://order.mancavearcade.ca/uprights-1/

Will probably swap out the included Retropie setup and build my own Windows streaming box so that I can emulate more powerful arcade machines as well as run some PC games. Street Fighter 5 on that setup would be awesome
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:08 PM   #4
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those are pretty good too.

I have a full arcade emulator (with consoles up to PS2/Dreamcast/Gamecube) set up on an old gaming PC leveraging Big Box / Launch Box, had used Hyperspin previously but like Launch Box better.

I've been using that with these arcade sticks (https://shop.xgaming.com/en-ca/colle...l-usb-included), and then just 8BitDo controllers for the console.

I should actually convert it into an actual standup cabinet one day though.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Those are pretty good too.

I have a full arcade emulator (with consoles up to PS2/Dreamcast/Gamecube) set up on an old gaming PC leveraging Big Box / Launch Box, had used Hyperspin previously but like Launch Box better.

I've been using that with these arcade sticks (https://shop.xgaming.com/en-ca/colle...l-usb-included), and then just 8BitDo controllers for the console.

I should actually convert it into an actual standup cabinet one day though.
I haven't been able to get much in the way of arcade games to work, but I've been playing the hell out of SNES and N64 using RetroArch on my Xbox consoles.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:20 PM   #6
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I haven't been able to get much in the way of arcade games to work, but I've been playing the hell out of SNES and N64 using RetroArch on my Xbox consoles.
The biggest pain, especially for arcade emulation using the sticks I had listed above is getting the control mapping right.

Even for some of the ones you can buy from people that tends to be an issue over time as you try to add more of your own games to the cabinets they build.

And sometimes when you get it all right it will still change all and revert back when a update happens
Old 02-07-2022, 04:59 PM   #7
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I built a cabinet once but ended up getting rid of it due to space issues and the fact that I can't even keep up with PC games.

If I had to do it again the thinner form factor ones or even the wall hanging one look ok.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Archive.Org has all the MAME games that are now allowed. The set itself is outdated, but it'll have most of what people are looking for.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 06:44 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I live in a condo and I don't have enough space for multiple cabs so I settled for the retro Atari Tempest one just because it is the coolest shape.

My biggest complaint is the screens on these cabs are cheap TN ones with terrible blacks that look like the shimmering grey of a cheap office LCD and also poor brightness (NITs) so they look nothing at all like a vector CRT. Arcade 1 Up also doesn't pay attention to details or even have any competent technical folks because on a lot of their cabs with vertical screens, they simply rotated cheap TN LCD panels. This leads to awful viewing angles and shimmering as it messes up the polarization on cheap panels that were never meant to be rotated and viewed vertically. I also read that a lot of their cabs are buggy like the Simpsons Arcade one has unsynced sound.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-07-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
When I have cash to allow such a frivolous purchase, I will be grabbing one of these

https://order.mancavearcade.ca/uprights-1/

Will probably swap out the included Retropie setup and build my own Windows streaming box so that I can emulate more powerful arcade machines as well as run some PC games. Street Fighter 5 on that setup would be awesome
It is built for a modern widescreen monitor. That's an immediate no-no. If you are spending $3295 I expect 4:3 OLED or a high end CRT at a minimum. Retro games had specific art design in their sprites which were designed to be displayed on CRTs and look wrong on modern displays.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2022, 09:41 PM   #11
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, that really hammers home the difference. I guess it has been a while since I played anything on a CRT.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:52 AM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking about getting one of the table top ones. Does anyone have experience with their products? Are they good quality?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #13
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I was thinking about getting one of the table top ones. Does anyone have experience with their products? Are they good quality?
I only have the two full size mentioned in the OP, but for me they are overpriced but if you can find them on sale or second hand I think the value makes sense.

I was able to find the TMNT for half price on clearance (At Walmart in Strathmore of all places).

And got the NBA Jam for half price second hand on FB Marketplace.

At that cost I found the value/quality to be fine, but at full price they are probably overpriced a little bit.

Generally I find the joystick and button quality to be good, screen is a cheap lcd but serviceable, and sound isn't the greatest.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:58 AM   #14
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought a pandora box a few years ago. I've got it hooked up to an old monitor and it is okay. The emulation on some of the games isn't very good and the interface is terrible but good enough for me to play a quick classic arcade game whenever I feel like it. In an ideal world, I would build a cabinet and place the computer with a retro pie, but I just don't have the time or carpentry skills for that.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:13 AM   #15
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It is built for a modern widescreen monitor. That's an immediate no-no. If you are spending $3295 I expect 4:3 OLED or a high end CRT at a minimum. Retro games had specific art design in their sprites which were designed to be displayed on CRTs and look wrong on modern displays.

Well I'll be playing modern games on it too which would suck on a CRT. And there are scanline overlays in Retroarch that come pretty close to the true CRT look
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:07 PM   #16
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Great thread. I have really gotten into this the last few years. Currently have 3 cabinets, with a threat from my wife that she will kill me if I bring home anymore.

First Arcade Cab - TMNT Arcade & Turtles in time 4 player - This was the first cab I bought and started my obsession with these things.

Second Arcade -Mortal Kombat Cab - This was the second one I purchased. Always loved the Mortal Kombat series, will come back to this one in a second

Finally - Big Buck Hunter - This is probably my favorite one, and having a light gun game, also gets the most play in the arcade.

Back to the Mortal Kombat cab - This was a early gen Arcade 1UP and something happened where I could not start up MK1 or MK3. This led me to making the decision to mod this sucker. Used a company out of the US called ArcadeModup.com that provided a custom lit control panel and track ball that matched the MK cabinet, as well as a raspberry pi 4 with about 6K arcade games on it. I also decided to upgrade the screen from 17" to 19" and could not be more happy with the result. I now have every game I could want. Thought about doing the same to my 4 player ninja turtle one, but leaving it for now.

I put in some lighting via Phillips Hue and arcade complete....

...until they start releasing light gun games at which point i'll be jumping back in for a new cab
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 12:42 PM   #17
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Great thread. I have really gotten into this the last few years. Currently have 3 cabinets, with a threat from my wife that she will kill me if I bring home anymore.

...until they start releasing light gun games at which point i'll be jumping back in for a new cab
This is where I'm at too.

I think I have approval from the wife that I won't get murdered if I bring Outrun home. I like the idea of a driving cab and think my daughter will have a blast with a racing game as she gets older.

After that though I think the next cabinet will have to be a light gun game.

I didn't like the look of buck hunter so didn't go with that one (although if I ever find one cheap second hand or used I'll be all in), but if they ever figure out how to port Time Crisis then I'm back in for sure.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:46 PM   #18
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am an arcade collector, have a few original games and a few pinball machines

I prefer full size machines but love that its bringing new people to the hobby, word is 1up is going to make full size machines soon which I will look at for sure.

Seems odd they went with the 3/4 size plus a riser, just make it the proper size to begin with

Last edited by dino7c; 02-08-2022 at 12:48 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:47 PM   #19
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
This is where I'm at too.

I think I have approval from the wife that I won't get murdered if I bring Outrun home. I like the idea of a driving cab and think my daughter will have a blast with a racing game as she gets older.

After that though I think the next cabinet will have to be a light gun game.

I didn't like the look of buck hunter so didn't go with that one (although if I ever find one cheap second hand or used I'll be all in), but if they ever figure out how to port Time Crisis then I'm back in for sure.
So many classics, my dream is a time crisis / point blank cab, but would love house of dead, virtua cop or hell even a lethal enforcers.

They seem to have proved out the tech on the big buck so fingers crossed
Old 02-08-2022, 12:47 PM   #20
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I am an arcade collector, have a few original games and few pinball machines

I prefer full size machines but love that its bringing new people to the hobby, word is 1up is going to make full size machines soon which I will look at for sure.

Seems odd they went with the 3/4 size plus a riser, just make it the proper size to begin with
I think the Pro cabinets will be full sized. Think the first one is Killer instinct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:

Tags
arcade; retro gaming;