Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-14-2022, 09:23 PM   #4521
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I've been knocking some sci-fi movies off my always too long "want to watch" list. Finally watched 2001: A Space Odyssey. Have to say, I really enjoyed it. I was surprised at how watchable it was, as I was expecting it to be a bit clunky due to its age. Made me wonder what it would cost now to do a space scifi with no CGI and just all old school special effects.

Also finally watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which was excellent. And lastly, watched Moon which was really good as well.
It would probably actually cost a lot less… CGI may be seen as the “easier” route to take but is also obscenely expensive. There’s a reason most of the most expensive movies ever produced are very CGI-heavy (or even entirely CGI animated films)
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:36 AM   #4522
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bubble is bad and I hate all the characters.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #4523
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I respect that some people like the Chariots of the Gods -myth (aliens influencing life on earth one way or the other), it wasn't a very good fit to use the Aliens franchise to make a movie about humans searching aliens that planted life on Earth.

The way Covenant just keeps on forcing the Alien mythos into a shape that's less and less interesting was also kind of sad.

Of course Aliens Resurrection already did a lot of really dumb things with that mythos, so it's not like Prometheus was the first sinner in that regard.

...and I guess it's somewhat inevitable that when a hugely successful franchise churns out endless sequels, at some point the whole starts to be less than the sum of it's parts, and would have been better if different people's ideas would have been split into completely different franchises.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 11:53 AM   #4524
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the iron giant. What a great movie.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2022, 07:06 PM   #4525
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a traditional movie but CNN is currently showing one called Roadrunner, an Anthony Bourdain Movie. Well worth watching .
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #4526
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Not a traditional movie but CNN is currently showing one called Roadrunner, an Anthony Bourdain Movie. Well worth watching .
Oh yeah, its fantastic. It really delves deep into Bourdain and makes you realize how much you miss him and his ridiculous travels and antics.

Its the cinematic equivalent of using a knife to re-open an old wound.

Seriously though, it is a great documentary especially for anyone who was a fan of Bourdain.

I will say that it does a good job of honouring him without crossing the line of delving into post-death reverent BS.

Just as he'd have wanted.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2022, 09:34 PM   #4527
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree CGI would be easier, but I doubt it’s more expensive than practical effects… I love models and practical effects.. they look so much better then 90% of cgi.

Last edited by badradio; 04-16-2022 at 09:40 PM.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 05:29 PM   #4528
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
I agree CGI would be easier, but I doubt it’s more expensive than practical effects… I love models and practical effects.. they look so much better then 90% of cgi.
I dont know about having a CGI Anthony Bourdain though, he would definitely be better off as an animatronic dinosaur.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2022, 12:45 AM   #4529
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Everything, everywhere, all at once.

A24 action/comedy/drama.

It's really original. It's really funny. And it has all the A24isms you didn't know you wanted.

Somehow they came up with a film that will give Dr. Strange a run for the real "multiverse of madness".

It's a lot to take in, but what a great movie.
Just saw it... wow!

It was probably the most fun I've had while watching a movie.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2022, 06:56 AM   #4530
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I saw it yesterday. One of those movies that has you thinking about it long after it's over. I liked it. There is some crazy visuals that you just have to see to believe. I didn't expect to feel so emotional after a "fun" movie. Really got me.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:02 AM   #4531
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yeah I thought Prometheus was fine. I liked it more than Alienł and Alien Resurrection.
I actually didn't mind Prometheus as a standalone sci-fi film as it's not really an Alien movie.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #4532
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Just saw it... wow!

It was probably the most fun I've had while watching a movie.
Right?

It needs to be seen to be believed. The best part was hearing even the most reserved audience members audibly reacting to parts of it.

Amazing how it can walk the line between absolute chaos and an endearing, grounded story. I've never seen such a thing accomplished quite that well.

No other studios are pushing boundaries and originality like A24.

Last edited by djsFlames; 04-25-2022 at 12:47 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2022, 11:07 AM   #4533
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Also, I thought Ke Huy Quan (Short Round) was really good. Haven't seen him in a looooong time.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #4534
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Holy cow that was short round.

His acting has come a long way since 1984!
Old 04-21-2022, 01:30 PM   #4535
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched a mouldie goldie a few nights back - Lost Horizon from 1937. British diplomat's plane crash-lands in Tibet and the survivors find themselves in the lost city of Shangri-La. It's one of those movies that used to be played at midnight on TV and you couldn't stop watching.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 06:38 AM   #4536
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone catch The Northman last night? While not a sprawling epic it exceeding my expectations, filmed beautifully is an understatement. Skarsgard, Taylor-Joy and Kidman are incredible. Dafoe in a smaller role very good.

I'm going to see it again.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:35 PM   #4537
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, just got back from Nic Cage's new film: Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent.

I thought it was great. Pedro Pascal is nearly as incredible as Nic Cage is in it. It's cleverly self-referential with a wink and a nod to the audience throughout, but it's also a fun film about adult male friendship and being present for your family. There are scenes between Nic Cage and Nicolas Kim Coppola that are legendary. That alone is worth the price of admission. It has elements of films like Game Night/Date Night where people get caught up in a larger plot. That plot is thin and unnecessary, but it's explained clearly why they make those choices in the film.

Plenty of fun to be had, especially if you know a little about the Cage filmography and recent film choices. He's in on the joke the whole way.

It has my new favorite quote ever in a film:

Spoiler!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 08:46 PM   #4538
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Okay, just got back from Nic Cage's new film: Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent.

I thought it was great. Pedro Pascal is nearly as incredible as Nic Cage is in it. It's cleverly self-referential with a wink and a nod to the audience throughout, but it's also a fun film about adult male friendship and being present for your family. There are scenes between Nic Cage and Nicolas Kim Coppola that are legendary. That alone is worth the price of admission. It has elements of films like Game Night/Date Night where people get caught up in a larger plot. That plot is thin and unnecessary, but it's explained clearly why they make those choices in the film.

Plenty of fun to be had, especially if you know a little about the Cage filmography and recent film choices. He's in on the joke the whole way.

It has my new favorite quote ever in a film:

Spoiler!

I can't wait to see this.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 10:30 PM   #4539
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah Unbearable Weight was great.

It's not the "riot" you'd expect it to be based on the trailer, but it's just a joy the whole way through and the movie never gets bogged down at any point.

The scenes between himself and his alter ego were ####ing legendary.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:26 PM   #4540
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’m glad I read a few breakdowns of The Green Knight before watching. It’s definitely not for everyone. Not having to try and figure out WTF was going on meant I could focus on the story and themes. I enjoyed it. I instantly want to watch it again.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: