Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #641
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
"It's financially insane to buy anything other than a Tesla," Musk said in April 2019. "If you buy a car that does not have the hardware necessary for full self-driving, it is like buying a horse."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/16/cars/...lay/index.html

I wonder if that will come back to bite him in the ass when they realize camera only FSD is lacking the hardware needed for FSD.
Hmm a horse has full self-driving capability while Tesla does not.

Buying a Tesla for FSD tech today is arguably insane as the tech will be immediately outdated in a few years. Did the people who paid $10,000 for the FSD radar technology get ripped off since Tesla pivoted to camera only? Is that stuff now just wasted dead weight in their cars?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 11:00 AM   #642
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/16/cars/...lay/index.html

I wonder if that will come back to bite him in the ass when they realize camera only FSD is lacking the hardware needed for FSD.
Spoiler alert: it won't.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 11:26 AM   #643
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Hmm a horse has full self-driving capability while Tesla does not.
Does it without radar too!

I for one fully support horse brains in a jars to get FSD in my car.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 11:50 AM   #644
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

We already measure power in horsies, so why not add brains to the mix? I've got 600 HP and 27HB FSD.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #645
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2022, 04:09 PM   #646
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Closer than you think!

psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:37 AM   #647
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

14 years ago with no new developments isn't very close
Old 05-09-2022, 01:43 PM   #648
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
14 years ago with no new developments isn't very close
Must not have been able to sell it to the military industrial complex yet.

Neurons in a jar to fly drones in Ukraine...come on down...

Flashback to Robocop 2 failed experiments
Old 05-29-2022, 02:31 PM   #649
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The documentary “Elon Musk’s Crash Course” is up on Crave. Interesting viewing about their wishy-washiness over autopilot/FSD/whatever they’re trying to call it these days and general failure to care.

It looks like if physically hurts Musk whenever he has to say that you need to pay attention when in autopilot mode.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:41 AM   #650
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The documentary “Elon Musk’s Crash Course” is up on Crave. Interesting viewing about their wishy-washiness over autopilot/FSD/whatever they’re trying to call it these days and general failure to care.

It looks like if physically hurts Musk whenever he has to say that you need to pay attention when in autopilot mode.
I am stunned that consumers are paying a significant amount of money for FSD.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:35 AM   #651
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I am stunned that consumers are paying a significant amount of money for FSD.

All of the ADAS stuff that can make vehicles safer is great. That’s probably what is most responsible for reducing collisions.

Still trying to sell FSD is bordering on fraudulent.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:39 AM   #652
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All of the ADAS stuff that can make vehicles safer is great. That’s probably what is most responsible for reducing collisions.

Still trying to sell FSD is bordering on fraudulent.
Bordering??

FSD doesn't happen, isn't even close, and Tesla keeps INCREASING the charge for it on their cars, because people will pay for something that doesn't exist.

"One day" they will have FSD and it will be worth it... I wonder how many people will be on their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Tesla before it happens (if ever, LOL)
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 11:17 AM   #653
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Bordering??

FSD doesn't happen, isn't even close, and Tesla keeps INCREASING the charge for it on their cars, because people will pay for something that doesn't exist.

"One day" they will have FSD and it will be worth it... I wonder how many people will be on their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th Tesla before it happens (if ever, LOL)
I just don't see Tesla as succeeding in the direction they have taken. From Musk:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1387901003664699392

Basically what I've been saying for years. To use vision only, you need generalized AI. So unless you think humanity is creating generalized AI in the next few years, it sure seems like a path to failure.

Quote:
The next decade will play a crucial role in accelerating the development of AGI. In fact, experts believe that there is a 25% chance of achieving human-like AI by 2030.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbest...h=5817fb1e3ba9

I suspect those 25% are over ambitious. So since, what, 2016 or so Tesla has been selling a product that can't be delivered any time soon. And Musk knows it. It's fraud.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:04 PM   #654
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:

To be clear here, “autopilot” and “Full Self Driving” are different products on Tesla cars.

Autopilot are the driver aids - lane keep, auto cruise, etc, that many cars have these days. Everything I’ve heard says that the Tesla versions of these is very good.

Full Self driving is intended to be another step up, and is very good in 99% of situations. However, the 1% of situations require the driver to still be fully aware.

The problem is the marketing. “Full self driving” is nowhere near being able to fully self drive. Out of the 5 levels of automated driving, it’s still only a level 2:

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/amp/...plained/64372/

There are actually level 3 systems being tested by auto manufacturers, but not by Tesla. Audi is working on a system that lets the driver not even pay attention when I’m backed up traffic on a freeway. Even that is still a long ways away from “full self driving”

Level 5 autonomous driving is still a long ways away. Level 4 will come sooner, being fully autonomous on freeways, but even that is not in the next couple years.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:12 PM   #655
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Mercedes was the first manufacturer to attain level 3 autonomy with their Drive Pilot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 12:23 PM   #656
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Can we all just agree at this point that Elon Musk is a habitual liar and you can't trust a word that comes out of his mouth?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2022, 03:14 PM   #657
CASe333
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I believe Mercedes was the first manufacturer to attain level 3 autonomy with their Drive Pilot.
and unlike Tesla FSD beta, Mercedes takes 100% liability when their level 3 system is engaged while in use in Germany suggesting they are very confident it works.
CASe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CASe333 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 06:32 AM   #658
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
and unlike Tesla FSD beta, Mercedes takes 100% liability when their level 3 system is engaged while in use in Germany suggesting they are very confident it works.
Well Tesla's automatic wiper function is horrifically bad so if they can't get that right I don't blame them for disowning responsibility when it comes to FSD.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #659
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

So the latest news is that Tesla is deleting ultrasonic sensors - something I have even in my 15 year old vehicle.

This is terrible news for me, I park in mostly tight parkades with lots of pillars and close in cars and walls. Those sensors are essential for park assist to warn you of surrounding objects and your distance to them up to the centimeter.

Tesla dropped the sensors in all 2023 vehicles that are being delivered now but the software hasn't caught up. They are promising that their cameras/vision system will take over this job but there are no cameras on the bumpers to detect low objects. Basically right now if you pay for full self driver or autopilot, they have disabled a bunch of features you paid for like summon, auto park, etc. because they won't work without these sensors!
Old 10-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #660
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

What other company removes features like this without a solution? Not only that their track record on delivering timely fixes/solutions is very spotty. That's not even the worst thing they are removing. The 2023 Model 3/Y will also remove the left and right paddles, sliding gearshift, and touch turn signals.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/tes...turn%20signals.

These cost cutting moves align with the timeline of a certain person being forced to go through with a very large purchase they were trying to get out of. Not sure what the endgame is with Tesla but I don't see a bright future with the way they are running the business as none of their promises come to fruition and they keep making changes to current products that nobody is asking for or wants and are making their vehicles more complicated to own and operate. A 2023 Model 3 is stripped down of a lot of hardware that was available standard in 2017 models from radar, ultrasonic sensors, passenger power lumbar support, turn signal and drive stalks, Homelink, portable charger, etc. They are getting by on their ability to manufacture higher volumes of EV's over the competition but once that gap narrows I don't see the point in buying a Tesla.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-27-2022 at 12:31 PM.