Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Happy Birthday Dreamcast.

Man I loved that console. Such a huge leap forward. Despite dying a relatively quick death it still ranks right up there as one of my favourite consoles.

By birthday, I mean release in NA. Picked my bad boy up at Walmart in Lethbridge, because really, who needs to go to school when the DC is waiting to be played.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've got one hooked up still. Wish the guns worked on modern tv though for house of the dead
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I've got one hooked up still. Wish the guns worked on modern tv though for house of the dead
You shoulda jumped on that 30" CRT I was giving away in July!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will share my own tale of the Dreamcast for everyone who doesn't care. I got one from a radioshack in Rimbey. I just happened to be driving through Rimbey for work when they advertised on some podunk radio station they were blowing out their last dreamcast for cheap. Picked it up for a song and enjoyed it for a great while. It was also shortly thereafter that all of the Blockbusters started liquidating all of their games because they weren't renting them anymore. Got tons of awesome games and never paid more than 5 bucks foa nay of them. Good times.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I liked it. The only system I have ever bought on release day

Shenmue and Soul Caliber were my 2 fav games. So dispointedI couldn't finished the last race of Sega Rally Championship. IIRC they measured in 1000ths of a second. I was within in a couple 1000ths of a second of getting the proper time. Still enjoyed the heck out of that game too.
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I got a arcade stick for soul calibur I liked it so much, still sucked at the game though. Found a really cool clear shell for the thing, but for some reason despite multiple attempts it never booted up with that case on. Shenmue was cool, being the sucker that I am, I bought the japanese import version of Shenmue 2 with the disc that made their games play on our systems. Never did get around to opening the game though, still got it sealed haha.

Last edited by Igotnothing; 09-09-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I'll definitely be popping in Ikaruga today to give it another playthrough. Maybe some Sonic Adventure 2...
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You imported that as well? I think i got ikaruga on GC, didn't play it much. Cool game, not my cup of tea though. I saw a link to a video of a guy playing it on what looked like an arcade cabinet playing both players, ridiculous.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Nothing beats Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on Dreamcast. NFL Blitz gets a close second!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I have two Dreamcasts, one still in the box. We spent many nights playing Soul Caliber and Tennis. It really was a great system.

Once the system died, I bought as many games as I could find for super cheap. I doubt I even played a third of them.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Virtua Tennis and Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Those were the days...
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ahhhh Dreamcast. My nephew had one, and used to beg me to play Soul Calibre with him. He would always pick some fancy nimble character, and I always picked this hulking thing that had this one unstoppable move. All I remember is the thing it said when you did the move. "Mooosh Meeyash Moosh Moosh!" It was devastating and I always won no matter what character he picked, and ended in his frustration, a launched controller and sometimes tears of frustration.

Years later, for my Birthday, he got me a shirt made, with "Mooosh Meeyash Moosh Moosh!" on it.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
You imported that as well? I think i got ikaruga on GC, didn't play it much. Cool game, not my cup of tea though. I saw a link to a video of a guy playing it on what looked like an arcade cabinet playing both players, ridiculous.
I should have clarified that I have the GameCube version. I played it originally on the Dreamcast though. Back when I played it regularly I could 1CC normal mode but I played it yesterday and couldn't even switch polarities at the right times. The game still looks and feels amazing though. It's a shining example of great game design.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I have arcade sticks, Japanese light guns (not released here because of Columbine - seriously), and Virtual On twin sticks!

I still use the Dreamcast pads and sticks on my PC with a USB adapter.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ya I remember the light gun debacle, I think I ended up with some third party guns for house of the dead. Virtual On! Oh man, I remember playing that game back at the U of A before the DC game out. Er, that was the mech game with kind of jet packs right? Haha, it's been a long time since I've thought of that game. Was that released in NA or did you import it?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #16
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I loved that system. My very first job ever was in grade 10 at Mcdonald's. My first paycheck was buying my friends Dreamcast that he never played. Best purchase ever.

During the great Catholic teachers strike of 2002, I spent that entire 2 weeks learning how to download and burn Dreamcast ISOs so that I could burn them to cd and play the games. I still have a box FULL of old Dreamcast games. I probably have about 90% of all the Dreamcast games ever made, including some from overseas.

It was a sad day when Sega decided to stop making games for that consol. Soul Calibur, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Jet Grind Radio, Zombie Revenge, Street Figher III, Ikaruga etc. So many good, underrated games were released for that system. I'm still waiting for the conclusion of the Shenmue series!

Interesting fact is that 6 games were released for the DC last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...reamcast_games
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ahh, the DC. It was the console that introduced me to online gaming. I gained so many online gaming buddies during that era on the DC it's crazy. Even was in one of the more larger DC gaming clans back then (SegaDevils) which we competed in games like Quake III, AFO, UT etc. We branched out to other systems (PS2, Xbox) after the console started decaying, and still game with a bunch of them regularly.

But I thought it was a cheap shoddy system. My brother and I had to replace ours every 6-8 months it seemed as the thing would just die. I swear I have atleast 3 or 4 of them sitting in a box somewhere in the house, all dead.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #18
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I loved soul caliber and the first football. Also, my buddy was really adventurous with games like Bangi - o, and he loved shen mue, i liked watching while he played the story out. He also bought the Ecco, and I thought it was the best game to just zone out and swim in the big awesome world they created.

But the Football was amazing when it first came out. and SC. we would regularly play over a hundred matches a night. I love that game still!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #19
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Shenmue was such an amazing looking game. I really wished they wouldve completed the series. I was working at toys r us for my very first job and bought one when they cleared them out for 70 bucks.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
Ya I remember the light gun debacle, I think I ended up with some third party guns for house of the dead. Virtual On! Oh man, I remember playing that game back at the U of A before the DC game out. Er, that was the mech game with kind of jet packs right? Haha, it's been a long time since I've thought of that game. Was that released in NA or did you import it?
The DC game was Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram. I bought that at Toys R Us in Market Mall when the DCs were being cleared out for bargain bin prices.

I had the import the twin joysticks for the game though. It's basically the same hardware as the arcade sticks for controlling your robots.

My Dreamcast stopped working when the lid mechanism stopped detecting there was a game disc inside. I think it can be fixed. I would love to get a VGA adapter for Dreamcast and some sort of VGA to HDMI interface box for my big screen TV to enjoy that system again.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote