Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-22-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2020-21 Raptors and General NBA Thread

Oh yeah the season starts tonight. I don't really have any deep thoughts, it's gonna be a weird season and on paper it looks far less open then last year did with the Lakers huge favorites (yawn....). Raps will still be competitive, but they appear to be 4th in the East at best with the Nets superteam online and the Celtics and Bucks. I guess the big thing for the Raps is Siakam, he was terrible in the bubble and really regressed. If he gets back to his early season form last year they'll be right there for the top 4, but if not then I imagine the Raps will be sellers by the deadline. With the Giannis dream dead this could also be the last competitive season for the Raps for a couple years, so I guess we should try and enjoy it.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Heat have surpassed the Raptors as well. A really good team on the rise with Herro and Adebayo as the young bucks.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few predictions:
1) Nets superteam won't be such. The headcases will get worse over the course of the season, too many egos who won't get checked.
2) Bucks finish 1st in the East followed by Boston.
3) Siakam will not rise to the occasion and will be dealt at seasons end.
4) Lowry will get dealt at the deadline.
5) Raps finish with 55 wins.

The team doesn't look that bad when I take a step back. With so many new faces learning eachother early on it will probably be a bit rough before they get going.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:25 AM   #4
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

It's a 72-game season. No way 1-4 happen if 5 does.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:01 AM   #5
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

1730h
vs on

from the Amalie Arena in Tampa Bay, Florida

https://stats.cbc.ca/basketball/nba/preview/1030761
https://stats.cbc.ca/basketball/nba/matchup/1030761

It's game one of a slightly shortened marathon regular season of 72 games. Here we go!

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 12-23-2020 at 06:38 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final scores from the opening night doubleheader on TNT.

99 at 125 simulcast on TSN

https://stats.cbc.ca/basketball/nba/recap/1030099
https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/games/2291405

116 vs 109 simulcast on Sportsnet

https://stats.cbc.ca/basketball/nba/recap/1030100
https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/games/2291407

Old 12-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Siakim not stepping up and Raps still getting 55 wins? Thats a bod prediction.

Nets, Celtics, Heat, Bucks, 76ers...its looking like a 6th place finish for Raps. With a first round exit to Nets/Bucks/Heat....They're counting on OG to take a big step if that happens they could be in the race.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The Raptors have shown impressive consistency in the regular season the last few years. It wouldn’t be surprising to see the batting for “home” court again. They will likely face the same issues in the playoffs though, unless Siakam can take another big step forward.

I am excited to see Siakam’s progression. I know a lot of people have soured on him a little bit after his playoff performance, but I still believe he has a lot of room to grow as a player.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #9
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have high expectations for the Raptors in terms of regular-season finish. Looking forward to a fun season with lots of room for development for the young guys. I think a good season would be a 5/6th finish, a first-round upset win, and a top 20 draft pick.
FVV, Flynn, Anunoby, and Siakam is a really solid core (not to mention Lowry, but he may not be part of the plan beyond this season), but needs another big who can contribute at a high level. And there aren't really any PFs/Cs in next year's free agency that seem like an obvious fit for the Raptors, either. In retrospect, they would have been better off spending more to keep Serge, but I don't think you can fault them for keeping their cap room open for Giannis.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #10
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1341872463777574919

Day 2 of the season and 1 game has been postponed due to Covid. One Huston player tested positive and others have to isolate pending results.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #11
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Harden got it at the strip club
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:32 PM   #12
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harden is obviously a part of this, but they could have more cases it seems.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1341873121402482689
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #13
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Harden is obviously a part of this, but they could have more cases it seems.
Harden tested positive for Covid this summer. This was related to a few players including John Wall who went to an apartment to get haircuts. One of the players who went had it and they other who went along had to isolate.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #14
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Raps seem to always have a good amount of doubters every year. Here's to them overcoming and proving the doubters wrong again! Massive year for Spicy P.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #15
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
The Raps seem to always have a good amount of doubters every year. Here's to them overcoming and proving the doubters wrong again! Massive year for Spicy P.
I was just about to post the same thing!

Last year it was the same. People were saying they wouldn't even make the playoffs.

I don't know why they think they will be worse. Sure they lost Ibaka and Gasol but Baynes is better than Gasol at this point and OG will get more time this year. Top 4 team in the conference for sure.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #16
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a predictions thread. Go big or go home.

As for the Siakam doubters, it’s pretty valid. Me being one of them after the playoff performance. The bubble life can affect each individual differently but it was hardly justifiable to see the level of bad he was. It was inexcusable to be blunt. And it reminds me of DeRozan shying from the spotlight when it mattered most. I don’t think comparing the two is a stretch either. I want to see him succeed because he’s such a nice guy. But that playoff performance...
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #17
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I was just about to post the same thing!

Last year it was the same. People were saying they wouldn't even make the playoffs.

I don't know why they think they will be worse. Sure they lost Ibaka and Gasol but Baynes is better than Gasol at this point and OG will get more time this year. Top 4 team in the conference for sure.

Whoa, whoa, who was saying they wouldn't make the playoffs last season?!! I heard a lot of "they won't be a contender without Khawi" and they were of course right. I really didn't see any "they won't make the playoffs", and it would have been outlandish to suggest it.

This year however likely will be a significant drop to 5th or lower in the east and no chance of contention on any level. Which is okay, as we got a championship out of this build, which is more than most NBA franchises will ever get. But barring a major trade for a star this build is clearly over and we get to look to the excitement of the next one.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #18
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Whoa, whoa, who was saying they wouldn't make the playoffs last season?!! I heard a lot of "they won't be a contender without Khawi" and they were of course right. I really didn't see any "they won't make the playoffs", and it would have been outlandish to suggest it.

This year however likely will be a significant drop to 5th or lower in the east and no chance of contention on any level. Which is okay, as we got a championship out of this build, which is more than most NBA franchises will ever get. But barring a major trade for a star this build is clearly over and we get to look to the excitement of the next one.
Lots of people. A lot of basketball people in the US thought without Leonard the Raps would struggle to make the playoffs.

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #19
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### me.

That shot by Tatum off the glass with .5 left on the clock, AND Giannis in his face?

Holy ####. That boy is clutch. I'm becoming a big fan.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #20
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Lots of people. A lot of basketball people in the US thought without Leonard the Raps would struggle to make the playoffs.

Must have missed that. I'm more Canadian media based, with a sprinkle of US and everything I saw pre-season for last year had the Raptors as a strong playoff team that wouldn't be able to contend without Khawi.

I mean they were still beating most teams in the regular season when Khawi was sitting, I think it was pretty clear they would be a strong playoff team with him off to LA, but one that couldn't contend. And it played out exactly like that. And now this season they will descend further due to other teams progressing, and more so if Siakam isn't able to regain form.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#crapforcade , #suckforsuggs , jurassic bay