Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 07:05 AM   #2061
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Unreal. He actually took one stride, and then Tyke Hockey Coach’d it the rest of the way in.
C’mon now, you don’t get that shiny gold helmet by worrying about things like defence. It’s shiny... like a diamond!
Old 11-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #2062
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hocke...box=1604282819

Return of the Prodigal Debacler?
Dare to dream, E=NG

This would just be such a beautiful cherry on top of the sundae of loil hockey.

Didn't they do exactly this with him last time? Jettisoned him then quickly brought him back after a short stint of success in the DEL or something silly?

It's a shame that I don't think Holland will fall for that, but you can bet Lowe is sending him the articles saying: we could get this PROVEN CHAMPION back on the bench as soon as this season!
Old 11-02-2020, 09:09 AM   #2063
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Diamonds are incredibly overvalued.

every time i hear people talk about diamonds i immediately think of this gem...

Old 11-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #2064
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it turns out, the Finnish GM was the smartest man in the room that day by not selecting this bust of a player.

Thank all that is Holy, we got Tkachuk.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #2065
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
So it turns out, the Finnish GM was the smartest man in the room that day by not selecting this bust of a player.

Thank all that is Holy, we got Tkachuk.
I was a strong supporter of trading up to ensure we get JP. My confidence in evaluating prospects is forever shaken.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #2066
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I was a strong supporter of trading up to ensure we get JP. My confidence in evaluating prospects is forever shaken.
Not only would I have been stoked to trade up and get JP, but I also wasn't overly keen on drafting Tkachuk. His skating worried me and I wasn't sure how effective he could be at the NHL level for that reason.

So yeah, I was a bit off the mark on that draft!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #2067
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Not only would I have been stoked to trade up and get JP, but I also wasn't overly keen on drafting Tkachuk. His skating worried me and I wasn't sure how effective he could be at the NHL level for that reason.

So yeah, I was a bit off the mark on that draft!
Had the same take on Tkachuk. Thought he was a coattail rider on that Knights line, and he skated like Bambi.

I imagine if we had the opportunity to interview each of them our tunes would have changed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #2068
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That goes to show that no matter how promising a player shows to be in junior, the NHL is a different world. We’ve seen so many examples of this over the years.
It’s easy to get over excited about prospects, all while having your expectations crushed and watch players taken later in the draft exceed expectations
Old 11-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #2069
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

TBF, maybe Edmonton broke JP.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #2070
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
TBF, maybe Edmonton broke JP.
You can't fix dumb. And JP is just a dumb hockey player, he doesn't know how to use the ice. He doesn't see the seams in coverage.

Its easy to score in Junior if you have an overwhelming physical advantage and JP did. He got to the NHL and basically they said now you have to think about how you play the game and we saw smoke come out of JP's ears and the sound of the millenium falcons hyper drive failing echo'd through the arena.

It doesn't help that he came across as entitled.

I think the Oilers didn't help him, but I think that he is limited in what he can do.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #2071
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You can't fix dumb. And JP is just a dumb hockey player, he doesn't know how to use the ice. He doesn't see the seams in coverage.

Its easy to score in Junior if you have an overwhelming physical advantage and JP did. He got to the NHL and basically they said now you have to think about how you play the game and we saw smoke come out of JP's ears and the sound of the millenium falcons hyper drive failing echo'd through the arena.

I think the Oilers didn't help him, but I think that he is limited in what he can do.
Pshh Millennium Falcon, you are being generous. It was more like a junky old snow speader, even when it was running well.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #2072
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was very comfortable in drafting Tkachuk - I did think that he would translate well to the NHL.

However, I was 100% on board and excited for a trade-up for Laine or even Puljujarvi. I thought that they would be exceptional talents and home-run picks. I just didn't want Juolevi.

Well, Tkachuk ended up being the home-run pick. Dubois was such a shrewd pick by Columbus and is a home run pick (I love Dubois and he is becoming better and better, and I think he will end up being a real star in this league). Winnipeg got Laine - prolific goalscorer, but... leaves something to be desired. Puljujarvi I still think just got partially wrecked in Edmonton somehow. I do think that both him and even Yakupov before him would have done better somewhere else. How much better? I don't know, and it is definitely arguable, but better.

Calgary was damn lucky to get Tkachuk where they got him. Really worked out for the Flames. Everything just lined-up so well for the Flames.

I am still betting that Puljujarvi is going to get traded at some point in the season when the NHL resumes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #2073
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see where Puljupizza slots in with all of that firepower ahead of him and they could get a pretty good return if they trade him. Should be able to get a #1 defenceman and some high picks.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #2074
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Fair enough, which is also why I hate dangly highlight clips out of junior. They don't really show much about skill that will work in the NHL. Show me speed, a great shot, good positioning. Don't show me a guy weaving his way through a bunch of poor defenders.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #2075
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Fair enough, which is also why I hate dangly highlight clips out of junior. They don't really show much about skill that will work in the NHL. Show me speed, a great shot, good positioning. Don't show me a guy weaving his way through a bunch of poor defenders.
First of all, I agree with all this.

However, whenever I hear it, I always think about Boston College with this tiny little kid who could dangle like crazy, and dominate in college, but didn't have the NHL tools. Meanwhile, they also had this big, fast, physical winger with a great shot and was pretty much built to be an NHLer.

Everyone agreed that the latter was a guaranteed NHL stud and that the former would probably not be able to handle the NHL.

You never know.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #2076
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
First of all, I agree with all this.

However, whenever I hear it, I always think about Boston College with this tiny little kid who could dangle like crazy, and dominate in college, but didn't have the NHL tools. Meanwhile, they also had this big, fast, physical winger with a great shot and was pretty much built to be an NHLer.

Everyone agreed that the latter was a guaranteed NHL stud and that the former would probably not be able to handle the NHL.

You never know.
True enough. I guess you have to look at what he's actually doing and against who? Remember McDavid's goal against the Leafs that made all the highlights? People looked at it and said "what great moves". I looked at it and said "that's shockingly bad D".
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 01:43 PM   #2077
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I don't see where Puljupizza slots in with all of that firepower ahead of him and they could get a pretty good return if they trade him. Should be able to get a #1 defenceman and some high picks.
Insert “not sure if serious” image here...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #2078
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords

Ha Ha Ha Ha

There's a reason why GM's didn't jump up to trade for the guy when he was on the market. Because he didn't play like a first round pick. Sure he went back to a much lower league and did ok. But lets be honest, he busted in the NHL and was awful in the AHL.

Until he proves anything, no GM is going to pay anything more then reclamation pricing for him, which is at most a mid round pick, or a equivalently struggling change of scenary player.

He's worth nowhere near a top pairing defenseman unless the Oilers give up something like a first round pick and a Bouchard. Poolparty is worth literally nothing right now. He's in the crappy video bin at walmart with tapes of Mrs Doubtfire two electric booglaoo.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #2079
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Insert “not sure if serious” image here...
Check thread title.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #2080
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ha Ha Ha Ha

There's a reason why GM's didn't jump up to trade for the guy when he was on the market. Because he didn't play like a first round pick. Sure he went back to a much lower league and did ok. But lets be honest, he busted in the NHL and was awful in the AHL.

Until he proves anything, no GM is going to pay anything more then reclamation pricing for him, which is at most a mid round pick, or a equivalently struggling change of scenary player.

He's worth nowhere near a top pairing defenseman unless the Oilers give up something like a first round pick and a Bouchard. Poolparty is worth literally nothing right now. He's in the crappy video bin at walmart with tapes of Mrs Doubtfire two electric booglaoo.
Your sarcasm detector is due for service.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread