Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #4521
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Two major characters with redemption arcs who had "DESTINED TO DIE HEROICALLY" stamped on their foreheads for the last three seasons.
Totally fair. I'd argue you could say the same for Jaime Brienne and The Hound too though (maybe not redemption for Brienne but realizing her life's goal hours before a huge battle seems like a good arc)
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #4522
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Eh, I think it was more due to arrogance. You could see it in how he dealt with John. And how he dealt with Theon. The arrogance allowed Arya to get the drop on him.

And, I mean, plot too, obviously. But the logical choice would be to stay home and have him brought to you.
I think he has to be on close proximity to the whights to keep them going.

Yes definitely a degree of arrogance too. He seems to want to taunt Brann
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #4523
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I think he has to be on close proximity to the whights to keep them going.

Yes definitely a degree of arrogance too. He seems to want to taunt Brann
Maybe he needs to get more range on his whight-fi connection.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #4524
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
He got banished from Dany's inner circle and ends up getting greyscale, I wouldn't exactly call that un-punished.
He wasn't punished with greyscale, that just happened after his banishment.
His head would have been off if not for his scripted redemption to come in the plot, AKA plot armour.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #4525
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Leslie Jones' live tweet compilation. NSFW

djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #4526
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The NK did remarkably well considering he didn't have any air superiority and zero direct/indirect fire. He effectively used countermeasures to render the Allied air essentially useless. However, engaging in a dogfight from below is a cardinal sin.

Military Operations in Castle Terrain is tricky business and the NK failed when he didn't confirm the castle was clear before entering the perimeter. In fact, he should have had his subordinates bring Brann out of the castle. I guess after 10,000 years - give or take - I can only conclude he was impatient.

Alas, as there doesn't appear to be any survivors, there won't be any After Action Review to discuss.

It is worth noting the logistical advantages of supporting an undead army.
- No need to feed
- No fatigue management
- No camp requirements
- No projectile weapons = no ammo supply
- Minimal waste management
- No Health & Safety risk assessments (they're already dead)
- No HR issues
- no environmental assessments
- no Gender Briefings
- no sexual harassment briefings
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:20 PM   #4527
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Leslie Jones' live tweet compilation. NSFW
"Thee-Ron" hahaha
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 06:27 PM   #4528
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think a lot of these questions need answers.

I always assumed that the NK was interested in Bran because the Three-Eyed Raven had sixth-sense powers that were a threat to the NK. The NK was programmed to knock him off the same way a disease attacks a vital organ. There isn't a "reason" or "intention", it's just the nature of it.

Why is the NK suddenly making his move now after 8,000 years? The NK isn't a human and doesn't reason like one. He is more like a force of nature/magic. He is like a natural disaster or plague that could occur at any time. Like pressure building up before a volcano finally erupts, the NK's army was slowly building for those 8,000 years until it was time. Why does it have to be more than that?
Old 04-30-2019, 07:20 PM   #4529
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
The NK did remarkably well considering he didn't have any air superiority and zero direct/indirect fire. He effectively used countermeasures to render the Allied air essentially useless. However, engaging in a dogfight from below is a cardinal sin.

Military Operations in Castle Terrain is tricky business and the NK failed when he didn't confirm the castle was clear before entering the perimeter. In fact, he should have had his subordinates bring Brann out of the castle. I guess after 10,000 years - give or take - I can only conclude he was impatient.

Alas, as there doesn't appear to be any survivors, there won't be any After Action Review to discuss.

It is worth noting the logistical advantages of supporting an undead army.
- No need to feed
- No fatigue management
- No camp requirements
- No projectile weapons = no ammo supply
- Minimal waste management
- No Health & Safety risk assessments (they're already dead)
- No HR issues
- no environmental assessments
- no Gender Briefings
- no sexual harassment briefings
I mentioned this earlier, but there's a reason that Genghis Khan was able to conquer the world with relative ease. Melee forces are pretty useless against mounted units. Especially undead ones that can't hold pikes properly. Houses at full charge generate a huge amount of power. An army of thousands of mounted Dothraki would have decimated the whights.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #4530
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Genghis Khan didn't go up against undead giants and focalized war blizzards. Also charging into a horde that outnumbers you greatly doesn't work at the best of times, throw in a collective mind, no fear, oh and the undead and it's not the same as Genghis Khan.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #4531
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mentioned this earlier, but there's a reason that Genghis Khan was able to conquer the world with relative ease. Melee forces are pretty useless against mounted units. Especially undead ones that can't hold pikes properly. Houses at full charge generate a huge amount of power. An army of thousands of mounted Dothraki would have decimated the whights.
Wait, Genghis Khan had solar panels?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 08:04 PM   #4532
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the night king not being the ultimate bad guy in the series is very fitting to the game of thrones.

If you look at other fantasy books the big bad is killed and everything lives happily ever after. In this story the Night King goes down and the political battle between the humans just wages on.

The world didn’t band together to fight the Night King, the smart people sat out.

If GoT wants to finish its subversion of the Genre Cersei should win the iron throne because she acted in solid self interest and preserved her troops instead of throwing them away against the night king. The Dany/North alliance should fracture either with John leaving with Dany and Sansa controlling the North and the Vale or with Dany killing John to eliminate a rival claim to the throne.

The message of leaving the night king without motivation and finishing it early is that people are the real source of evil and horror in this world and magic or ideals doesn’t protect you from them
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #4533
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calvery is a fear based tool. The eights wouldn’t have broken ranks. Eventually you compact the wights into a wall that stop the horses than the remaining whights kill them. The wight line appeared to be hundreds deep and thousands across. The calvery doesn’t stand a chance once it’s slowed or the horses trip over the dead.

Last edited by GGG; 04-30-2019 at 08:14 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #4534
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Calvery is a fear based tool. The eights wouldn’t have broken ranks. Eventually you compact the wights into a wall that stop the horses than the remaining whights kill them. The wight line appeared to be hundreds deep and thousands across. The calvery doesn’t stand a chance once it’s slowed or the horses trip over the dead.
I disagree. Horses are tall enough that they can ride over top of the corpses. They would pound the whights into puddles beneath them. The Mongols managed to overcome heavy formations of armed knights and legions of Chinese soldiers. From a physics standpoint alone those half decayed whights way a fraction of what an armed person on horseback weighs.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #4535
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh lord help us. We're getting into a physics debate in a universe where there's ####ing magic.

Stahp.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #4536
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we've clearly been shown the results of cavalry vs a wall of undead.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:41 PM   #4537
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Everyone knows there’s only one way to defeat cavalry.

Hold! Hold! Hold! Hold! Now!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #4538
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Oh lord help us. We're getting into a physics debate in a universe where there's ####ing magic.

Stahp.
If the internet isn't for debating whether a horde of cavalry men from a desert would trample over an army of the undead, I don't know what it's for. The internet is pretty much just this and Instagram models now.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 10:29 PM   #4539
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea if this is all true. I do know the ice dragon was keeping Jon from going into the garden.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:21 PM   #4540
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I have no idea if this is all true. I do know the ice dragon was keeping Jon from going into the garden.

I’m buying this 100%.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote