Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #5501
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Why couldn't they have other writers take over each season? I don't get why there are just two. Surely some other people can keep the overall theme of the show going.
That happen's a lot; AMC has replaced The Walking Dead show runners every few years. If HBO really wanted to do more seasons, they should have fired D&D. I'm sure there are plenty of talented producers and writers who would jump at a chance to work with the current #1 drama on TV.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:19 PM   #5502
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I'm going to assume that the pressure to wrap up quickly was coming from the cast just as much, if not more than the showrunners. many of them are young and in their physical primes, and the effort they have to put into filming things like battle scenes (e.g. 55 days for just the Long Night) probably has made most of them eager to do something else. I bet if HBO announced that they were going 10 seasons, at least a few of them would have pulled a Constance Wu.

Except there is zero evidence of that. No cast member has ever said anything about wanting to move on, it's actually been the opposite. In every interview I've seen with them they all seem quite sad it's ending and how fun it was to work on, and even they are pissed off about how bad the final season is

https://www.hindustantimes.com/tv/ga...D2J8guS4L.html
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #5503
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:09 PM   #5504
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Why couldn't they have other writers take over each season? I don't get why there are just two. Surely some other people can keep the overall theme of the show going.

But pretty concerning overall.

Same issue with the Middle Earth series coming to Amazon. How do we know that have 5 seasons the writers won't get bored and want to do something else?

Financially it is a big commitment for the studios. Almost gotta think there is something in the contract to avoid these issues.

Zero excuse, ZERO, for not going 4 more episodes.
* Negotiated cast price per episode
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #5505
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Except there is zero evidence of that. No cast member has ever said anything about wanting to move on, it's actually been the opposite. In every interview I've seen with them they all seem quite sad it's ending and how fun it was to work on, and even they are pissed off about how bad the final season is

https://www.hindustantimes.com/tv/ga...D2J8guS4L.html
I think I appreciate what you are saying, and then again, they are all actors who were obviously attached to their characters, who died, and it seems they have trouble coming to terms with it.

I would have liked to have seen epic buildups and death scenes for all, and at the same time, probably most people die in suboptimal ways.

The show is like a ton of horror movies. Tons of buildup, and then the resolution doesn’t live up to the one inside your head.

Tall order for the writers.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #5506
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

See it before it's taken down. The city scene put to Hells Bells.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #5507
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
That happen's a lot; AMC has replaced The Walking Dead show runners every few years. If HBO really wanted to do more seasons, they should have fired D&D. I'm sure there are plenty of talented producers and writers who would jump at a chance to work with the current #1 drama on TV.
And with 16 million viewers I can't imagine the actors would have much of an issue filming 4 more episodes.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #5508
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #5509
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

‘This was abysmal’: Nearly 1 million disgruntled ‘Game of Thrones’ fans demand a final season remake

Quote:
If more than three-quarter of a million disgruntled “Game of Thrones” fans had their way, dragons would unmercifully torch the eighth season of the HBO hit, screaming an endless stream of firestorm upon the story line of the show’s final episodes.

A Change.org petition demanding that the final season be remade “with competent writers” has transformed this week into a fire-breathing dragon of vitriol aimed at showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss ahead of Sunday’s series finale. The petition, started last Sunday by a user named Dylan D. from Fort Worth, has collected about 760,000 signatures as of early Friday, reflecting how strongly a vocal section of fans want to say “Dracarys” to the whole season.

“David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent writers when they have no source material (i.e. the books) to fall back on,” the petitioner wrote. “This series deserves a final season that makes sense.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.cf0d443e1eaf

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #5510
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sign the petition to stop signing petitions: https://www.change.org/p/hollywood-s...7-bd818df1cd26

Quote:
It's time to take a stand against those taking a stand against witnessing narratives unfold in ways we didn't expect and pledge to never sign a petition demanding those fat cats in Hollywood adhere to our stupid, stupid ideas.

Last edited by getbak; 05-17-2019 at 11:17 AM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #5511
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahaha I mean it's not been a great season from a writing perspective, but petitioning for a do over is hilarious. Maybe petition GRRM to finish the books first?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #5512
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

What a pointless petition.

The more people get outraged over Dany's turn, the more I seem to enjoy it.

Sweet schadenfreude.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #5513
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Me too.

Shows aren't written to play out exactly how you want or expect. You can sign as many little internet petitions you want, it is what it is. Time to grow up. This is generally where Martin's books were going to end up as well, even if it may take a different path there. Deal with it!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #5514
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It’s never a good sign when the furor surrounding the show and the furor over that furor is overshadowing the show itself.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #5515
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m going to assume the majority of people signing this aren’t actually stupid enough to believe petitions have any effect, and are doing it more as a general show of dissatisfaction.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #5516
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

HBO should renew 10 years of doing the final season 10 different ways, just to satisfy every twit on the internet who didn't get their way.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #5517
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Our best hope is Disney saves the next Star Wars trilogy by firing D&D.

That's basically what this is about. Letting D&D know that this #### was bad...and they should feel bad.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #5518
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are people mad because of the story lines? Ie: Dany? I don't have too much complaint over the choices made for the story.

My main complaint is how everything is rushed. Half the episodes so far have been kind of boring, with more foreboding than actual story progression. Then in the last one, major character deaths that didn't feel impactful at all when they should have.

Cercei's death was kind of a joke considering the weight of that character.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #5519
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone's complaints are on the lazy and rushed writing. And the ridiculous plot armour some characters (namely Arya) have had.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #5520
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Are people mad because of the story lines? Ie: Dany? I don't have too much complaint over the choices made for the story.

My main complaint is how everything is rushed. Half the episodes so far have been kind of boring, with more foreboding than actual story progression. Then in the last one, major character deaths that didn't feel impactful at all when they should have.

Cercei's death was kind of a joke considering the weight of that character.
I think the rushing is the problem but I don’t think you can complain about Cersai’s death.

A character that always wanted to maintain control dying without any seems like a good way to end it. And having the first and last person she could manipulate be their with her was fitting. All of her actions to prevent prophecy from being fufilled led to it coming true.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote