Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:
Default Youtube going downhill fast

You might have noticed that Youtube made their crappy comment system even worse recently by integrating it with Google+. Vi Hart makes entertaining videos about math, and she's quitting Youtube because of the changes as she mentions on her blog.

http://vihart.com/

Another Youtuber Boogie2988 (you might know him better as his character, Francis) made an impassioned plea to Google to fix the changes because he makes his living off his videos.

I subscribe to other channels on Youtube that have disabled comments. Yes, they were awful before, but now it's trivial to fill up the top comments with absolute garbage. Hopefully something will be done soon.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've already tried to start limiting my use of YouTube and am looking to start using alternatives like Vimeo and DailyMotion. I was planning on making a channel specifically for Lync-related tutorials and things, but Google has started becoming exactly what they set out NOT to be.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like Boogie. I hope this doesn't adversely affect his channel (and income) too much.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

The comment system is hilarious now. It's like the comments you see when someone shares a video by posting it on their facebook wall. Most of them are just stupidly funny summaries of the video itself "check out this hilarious squirrel jump across this gap, it must think it's the grand canyon!".... WTF. Did google actually think peoples comments on their google+ page would be in line with existing youtube comments and actually invoke conversation?
Old 11-14-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hasn't youtube been on the verge of obscurity and being supplanted for the last 10 years?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Hasn't youtube been on the verge of obscurity and being supplanted for the last 10 years?
According to a recent study, youtube accounts for 18.7% of all web traffic, second only to netflix. So no, not obscure.

http://mashable.com/2013/11/12/inter...ic-downstream/

Of the various web shows I watch, many use the alternatives like blip or vimeo, but they all post to youtube as well, making it the easiest place for me to get everything I'm subscribed to. Any internet commenting system is clinically proven to cause brain damage, so any change youtube makes I would not notice.

Now if this new system is so bad that it causes a mass exodus to another platform well, that's another story.

Last edited by Inglewood Jack; 11-14-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

ok, so that example Vi Hart linked to nearly made me choke to death on my own breakfast with laughter, both at the video itself and the resulting string of "top" comments:

http://edwardspoonhands.com/post/664...s-video-of-her

yeah...that is actually worse than the old system somehow. hats off to google, a truly monumental accomplishment.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
According to a recent study, youtube accounts for 18.7% of all web traffic, second only to netflix. So no, not obscure.

http://mashable.com/2013/11/12/inter...ic-downstream/
I just meant that every time youtube changes something, or facebook, or whatever, it seems there's an outcry of people lamenting it's passing and writing its obituary.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack
ok, so that example Vi Hart linked to nearly made me choke to death on my own breakfast with laughter, both at the video itself and the resulting string of "top" comments:

http://edwardspoonhands.com/post/664...s-video-of-her
That last comment from the article seems more in line with classic YouTube comments. I learned to stop reading YouTube comments a long time ago, it's a black hole of hate.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am just absolutely gobsmacked that anyone actually reads youtube comments. I thought it was just some sort of hate filled artificially intelligence that really has a thing for racism and comparing everything to Nazis.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of the time the top 2 comments really added to the video either in their own humor or pointing something I might have missed.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people take youtube comments that seriously? I read them purely for entertainment value. It's kind of amusing to see who can come up with the most racist/sexist/extreme comment possible.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm a little confused about boogie/francis... what is it about youtube comments that make his youtube career function? Like most people, I haven't scrolled down in years on a youtube page for damn good reason.

I could see this being a problem for somebody who posts how-to videos and he/she receives a question in the comments, because that question could be buried. As for Francis, I don't quite get it. Of course comments about why he should kill himself are terrible and it sucks they get promoted so easily, but I don't see how this is bad enough to quit doing what he's doing (especially if it's a revenue stream).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did they implement the new system to stop the mass reply girl videos? Or is this another update?
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I am just absolutely gobsmacked that anyone actually reads youtube comments. I thought it was just some sort of hate filled artificially intelligence that really has a thing for racism and comparing everything to Nazis.
I'm even more surprised people aren't using extensions like YuleTube, HerpDerp, or NietzcheDerp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm a little confused about boogie/francis... what is it about youtube comments that make his youtube career function? Like most people, I haven't scrolled down in years on a youtube page for damn good reason.

I could see this being a problem for somebody who posts how-to videos and he/she receives a question in the comments, because that question could be buried. As for Francis, I don't quite get it. Of course comments about why he should kill himself are terrible and it sucks they get promoted so easily, but I don't see how this is bad enough to quit doing what he's doing (especially if it's a revenue stream).
He's pretty sensitive about his weight, and says that the supportive comments on his channel have helped him change his life around, and encouraged him to live a healthier life. It takes hard work to build a Youtube channel and get to the point where you're making money, so I doubt he'd throw that all away, but I can see why he's upset that the community on his channel is being disrupted by trolls and spammers.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
He's pretty sensitive about his weight, and says that the supportive comments on his channel have helped him change his life around, and encouraged him to live a healthier life. It takes hard work to build a Youtube channel and get to the point where you're making money, so I doubt he'd throw that all away, but I can see why he's upset that the community on his channel is being disrupted by trolls and spammers.
I suppose it would be horribly draining to spend time putting together something only to see people calling for your suicide when you finish.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #18
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Youtube went to garbage a long time ago with their copyright policy crap.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Youtube went to garbage a long time ago with their copyright policy crap.
Yeah, because it made sense to allow people to post full versions of movies recorded on an iPhone the day after it was released in the theatre. Awesome business model.

I thought you were in law enforcement? Isn't piracy illegal?
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Yeah, because it made sense to allow people to post full versions of movies recorded on an iPhone the day after it was released in the theatre. Awesome business model.

I thought you were in law enforcement? Isn't piracy illegal?
He's probably talking about Google taking copyright claims automatically at face value and removing the video (and punishing the uploader) with little recourse. The most obvious and hilarious one I can think of at the moment is when a trailer for The Last of Us (uploaded by the publisher of the game, Sony) was taken down with a copyright notice from the Spike TV Video Game Awards (they had aired the trailer on their show). It's a bad, arbitrary system.

Google is transitioning everything to Google+. They want to make it more difficult to leave their sphere, where everything is tied to your real name. Advertisements attached to your real name are worth more than advertisements for users.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote