Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #61
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
One of the best moments, I think in the second game was when you came across the two feuding families who's kids got secretly married. You came across the families and as a jedi you were suppossed to defuse the situation. While I went full dark side and without lifting my light sabre convinced the families to butcher each other. My companion at the time thought I wasn't very jedi like.

The first time I played KOTOR I went fully light side, saved the galaxy and killed Malak.

The second time around I went full dark side, and yeah the scene where I convinced Zaalbar to butcher mission, and then killing him myself was actually very emotional. All while Bastilla was cheering me on.

It was a depressing end game, and slaughtering Malak out of revenge was kind of sad too.

Exceptional writing in that game never to be matched again.
That was between the Sandrals and Matales in the first one, on Dantooine. I agree the writing in the game is possibly the best there has or will be. Every character arc was interesting and varied.

And this talk of WoW and Star Wars makes me want to play SWTOR badly.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #62
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doing public 3v3 games before Big Game Hunter and other $$$$ maps came out in Brood War and making mass nukes against players in public games and aiming for their flying units. The dots wouldn't show on a flying units and mass hilarity would ensure.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #63
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Double Dragon 3 - Finally beating the final boss with my buddy, only to have the NES lockup... Still havent seen the game ending (My Kung Fu is without equal)

Super Mario World - Beating the ghost ship and that cave rises from the ocean. The screen shakes... Good stuff.

Super Mario RPG - The first RPG I played. The whole game was incredible, quirky and tons of fun. I especially remember finally figuring out the clues that the ghosts give you in finding 3 locations... Satisfying.

Zelda Ocarina of Time - when you get your first sword in Kokiri forest, and slashing the sign by the pond. The sign slices in the manner you swing your sword, and the sign piece splashes into the water. This detail amazed my 12 yr old self. The whole game in general goes down as one of my all time favorites.
Edit: Also, finally beating the water temple... What a lengthy process that was!

Resident Evil: Nemesis - The first time you meet Nemesis and the game gives you the option to run or fight... Absolutely terrifying! The scenes where he chases you through the environment was absolutely heart-pounding.

Metal Gear Solid - The whole damn game.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - The whole damn game.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Return to Shadow Moses!!

KOTOR - Realizing that you were in fact Revan. This revelation absolutely side swiped me, I had no idea.

Red Dead Redemption - Leaving the starting town on horseback the first time. It was sunset, and you ride by that little red cliff face... I stopped and looked around and was in awe of the environment.

Uncharted 2 - The whole damn game.

Uncharted 3 - The rooftop chase as young Drake... Amazingly intense and well done.

The Last of Us - Tracking the deer as Ellie.

Dragon Age: Origins - The joining ritual and the cut scene where King Cailan and Duncan are killed...Amazing! This whole game was fantastic.

Fallout: New Vegas - The Strip... The whole damn game. I love the Fallout universe and post apocalyptic genres in general.

Mass Effect 2 - Entering the final relay.

Mass Effect 3 - The Reaper arrival.

Last edited by Baxter Renegade; 10-29-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #64
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins.

When Alistair reveals that he is the illegitimate son of the king and heir to the throne. I knew it was coming, but then I got to call him a royal #######. It was fantastic. It was around the same time my uncle was doing some family tree research and revealed we are the direct, though distant, descendant of some old Swedish king. I was also made aware of the fact that my parents weren't married until the year after I was born. I felt as though I had a special bond with Alistair, so I made my female Arcane Warrior seduce the crap out of him and force him to take the throne with me as his queen. It was truly fantastic.

Last edited by Trailer Fire; 10-30-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Trailer Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #65
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Without save scumming? What difficulty?
Yup, without save scumming and the easiest difficulty!

My memory is somewhat hazy but this was back in grade 7 for me, I was amazed I made it through a mission without any of my squad dead.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #66
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotnothing View Post
Recently for me would be BF3 with a semi auto shotty and G18, (that's the automatic pistol right?). I went on an absolute tear, closing in on about 16 or 17 kills then I got booted for 'cheating'.
I had something very similar happen in BF3. To set this up, I don't play Recon as a "sniper." I play the class like a WWII infantryman with a bolt action riffle such as the Kar-98. So I am playing Hardcore Rush and I've got a JNG-90 with a PKA-S Holo and my K/D ended up somewhere around 45-5. I wasn't camping in the back either. I was aggressively rushing objectives, annihilating entire squads and killing guys as sprinted around corners. A couple people accused me of cheating but thankfully I didn't get booted. Easily one of the best rounds I've ever had. To this day, most of my highest kills per minute in BF3 are with a variety of bolt action sniper rifles. I credit all my time playing WWII shooters like Day of Defeat, CoD I & II for my bolt action skills.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #67
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oblivion:
- Stepping out of the starting dungeon for the first time and having that big, beautiful world sprawled out before you.
- The Assassin's Guild storyline. Great twist.

Baldur's Gate 2: Restoring and then defeating Kangaxx (after something like 20 attempts).

Quake II: By coincidence got my first 3D acceleration (Riva 128 baby) and high-speed internet in the same day. I felt just about indestructible online.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #68
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I play the class like a WWII infantryman with a bolt action riffle such as the Kar-98.
That reminds me of playing MOH on rifle only servers. Most ppl wanted to be US to get the garand, but the K-98 was awesome. You clip him with one shot, switch to the pistol and finish him off. Worked wonders, racked up many kills that way.

That further reminds me of a bf42 moment. It was another Road to Rome expansion, i think that's what that exp pack was called. The map with the big hill that you could cap but couldn't spawn on. I tend to run around as the engineer a lot, dynamite was great and the bolt action rifle hit like a truck. Running along the hillside only to get caught out by an STG44 wielding guy, seems to happen a lot lol. I clipped him once and he hit me a few times. Managed to find the one piece of cover, a broken down stone wall a couple feet high, do the running dive to get behind it. Switch to my pistol, pop up and finish him off with the pistol. Looking back, Battlefield games in general have generated a lot of great memories. Like getting the xm25 airburt to work as planned in BF4 and annihilating 2 guys on top of a high rise in the flooded map.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #69
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite gaming moment was in early WoW for my first Ragnaros kill.

My best moment was in Desert Combat, a BF1942 mod. Me and my friend were in a Humvee with a TOW on the roof. He was driving as we were bombing towards a cap point. In the distance, at the opposition main base, I saw a Jeep leave their base and start heading towards another cap point. It was very far. I told my friend to stop, and then fired a missile off, leading them by a ridiculous amount, so much that I couldn't even see the Jeep in my field of view when I fired. I shot ... and the missile traveled for like 10 - 12 seconds as I watched the Jeep drive towards intersection with it .. then BOOM. Jeep destroying, two kills and about 3 minutes of us being completely useless because we were laughing so hard.

I could never repeat it in a million years and I'm so glad I had a witness haha.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #70
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Finding the warp whistles in M BROS 3.

An all day Saturday mission to beat Ninja Turtles 3 with my brother when we were young gaffers.

Massive blades of steel tournaments after minor hockey on Saturdays.

My carefully orchestrated blitzkrieg attacks in all Command and Conquer games, only to end up getting annihilated in the ambush. But damn was it fun planning it all out.

Metal Gear Solid 4. All of it.

Beating the VS part in Top Gun 2 for NES.

The Batman Arkham games. All of them

There was this one level in the Company of Hero's game for PC, that you had to assault and take a gun battery at the top of a hill. You had tanks, MG crews to set up bases of fire. Infantry with BAR rifles for suppressing fire and paratroopers. It was a total blast working your way systematically to the top of the hill. What made it fun was the AI seemed quite realistic.

Last edited by sa226; 10-30-2013 at 10:18 AM.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #71
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm kind of a SWTOR junkie and I'm still playing it.

On Belsavus there was this guy running around maximum cap killing people at level 40, he was basically indestructible and a real jerk, he'd kill you and just wait around so that you would end up respawning back at your base and then wait for you to come back.

So a friend of mine and I were playing and we found a world beast like champion level monster. So my body went out to find him and lead him to me, I was a Sith Warrior with force push. I see my buddy come whipping around the corner of the path with this moron in hot pursuit. So I target him, step out from behind a tree and hit him with force push right into the lap of this beast who proceeds to tear him to pieces. All the while we just stand there and laugh because we're just out of agro range.

There's no greater pleasure then fighting someone in that game by a cliff and using your push back to send him screaming and cursing you over the cliff.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #72
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Ultima Online - getting your first 7x GM character back in the day. It took a boatload of time to max out, but was worth it in the end.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #73
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a couple from my Battle for Europe (I think that is what it was called) time when they ran BF1942 and BFVietnam.

Once the battles were basically wrapped up for the day, we would start to do some fun things. On the one map where we fought over a big hill in the middle, we set up a mass bayonet charge. We actually managed to take the hill because 25+ people charging all at once can be hard to take down. I even managed to get a couple kills off the tip of my Bayonet.

Another fun time was when we decided to advance on a point 18th century style. We equipped everyone with bolt action rifles, setup in 2 firing lines and marched. The first person we saw actually turned around and ran. It worked until a grenade took everyone out.

The final BF1942 fun time was the jeep races we organized. We set up a course through several maps and raced them. To spice things up we had designated people who would shoot at the racers while they were racing. I managed to win the first leg (El Alemein) because the jeep I was just behind took a bazooka shot 100 yards from the finish line.

So many fun bf1942 times.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #74
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The first time I heard this music:

Old 10-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #75
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Getting all 120 stars in Super Mario Galaxy and unlocking Luigi.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #76
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Might as well add some my favorite moments.

Beating Robocop on NES. Being able to find the extra life helped me beat that game.

The first time fighting Mother Brain in Super Metroid. Specifically, the moment when she starts charging something and realize it was that beam destroyed all your remaining missiles/bombs and blew a few energy tanks per blast. I was completely shocked at that time, and I love remembering that moment.

I was really impressed with Mario 64. It was a pretty awesome game to play and explore.

Conker's Bad Fur Day is pretty awesome, I am playing it on xbox as we speak.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #77
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You are Darth Reven
Was going to post this, literally a jaw dropping moment when you realised what was going on. Excellent storyline in that game.

Also GTA Vice City, flying into the army base at full speed, almost crash landing, jumping into the Hunter chopper and taking off before the army boys shoot you down. Or grabbing the tank before they kill you and racing back to the car dealership to hide it. I realized later that you can just walk into the base with the cop uniform on but that wasn't as much fun.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #78
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Was going to post this, literally a jaw dropping moment when you realised what was going on. Excellent storyline in that game.

Also GTA Vice City, flying into the army base at full speed, almost crash landing, jumping into the Hunter chopper and taking off before the army boys shoot you down. Or grabbing the tank before they kill you and racing back to the car dealership to hide it. I realized later that you can just walk into the base with the cop uniform on but that wasn't as much fun.
San Andreas was almost too easy because your airfield was basically across the highway. I would rob that place blind once I took out the Sam sites.

Steal a tank drive it to my hanger.

Steal a jeep drive it to my hanger

Steal a helicopter, drive it to my hanger

Steal a jet pack you got it, hanger.

Then I'd walk drive over to the aircraft carrier. Steal a fighter jet and yup, drive it to my hanger.

That hanger could store like 5 cars, a tank a lear jet and a fighter plane.

The garage at the hanger was for my collection of exotic motor cycles.

I literally never had to leave that place once I bought it.

Hardest thing was stealing the 707 and landing it there, the runway was too short and I couldn't fit it in my hanger.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #79
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The first time I heard this music:

I can't believe I didn't include CT in my list... I still occasionally get drunk and listen to metal remixes of Frogs Theme.

Also, Chrono Cross... Another amazing game that ruined other "good RPGs" for me because it was simply the best...

-Brett Hull
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #80
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Moving from the video game genre to pen and paper games now...

My friends and I were avidly playing Dungeon and Dragons for years. I played many a character, from gnome assassins to half dragon drunken brawlers. I had one favorite though. The Ogre Barbarian. Oh my word he was special. Played him to level 5 (everyone else hit 10) and absolutely destroyed everyone. I had an armor class of 32 through the use of various trinkets and bobbles. I used a dual wielded monstrous great axes, and used a full sized balista as a crossbow. Best part of Ungh (his name) was his mount however. Every other party member rode a horse or pony. Not me. I could have used two great bulls as roller skates, and did at one point... No, I rode a triceratops. Fully armored and I was able to mount my crossbow for a deadly driveby. My translator, who was a half elf raised by other ogres (long story) absolutely hated Dwarves. So did I. We approached a major city center one day and my compadre and I strolled into the Dwarven District at night and razed the place. We obviously got caught by the city guards and ended up going to battle with the entire joint. I used a steel door as a shield and stormed the keep. My translator was slain by the King, after, of course, I had eaten the queen and two princesses. As revenge for killing my friend, I used his crown as a bracelet and kicked his head through the decimated streets like a soccer ball. I had a continent wide bounty placed on my head, which no one ever claimed.