Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Post your favourite gaming moments.

I know some of my fellow gaming nerds have some great stories. Go ahead and post some. I've been there, so I always appreciate them.

I played a lot of WoW in years past, and I've got a lot of stories to tell. Everything from my first tentative, unknowing steps into Aezeroth all the way to my last days grinding out 85 and all those heroics.

One day, near the beginning of my WoW career, my guild and I were chain running Zul'Farak to get me Sang'thraze, in an attempt to get Sul'thraze. The Warrior tank is our GMs son, who is 8. We are chatting on group vent, so everyone is in on it. The tank goes AFK to pee, so I used to opportunity to cook a quick dinner. My parents left for the evening, and that night was my first time cooking dinner for myself. I was 15, back off. I whip up a quick southern style scrambled eggs and cheese and salsa, with toast and jam, and bacon. I got back in good time and everyone asked what I made. A few of the older guildies made cracks about KD or ramen noodles and the like. Our little tank pipes up and asked me if I made dinner myself. I said yes and I told him it was my first time making dinner for myself. Everyone started asking what I made, so I told them. Lil Tank pipes up again. "You made scrabbled eggs? For dinner?!?" "Yes I did. And it was tasty." I got a couple of "good jobs" and "sounds yummy" and whatsuch. After a couple of seconds of silence he chimes in again, only to get cut off. "Mom-" "No. We aren't having scrambled eggs for dinner. Those are for breakfast. We aren't poor." More silence. "No offence Bru." I got shamed on and off for months after that. - Forgot to mention... Sang'thraze dropped that run.

Later, after hitting 60 and running ZG and MC for a few months, the incredible happens. Ragnaros falls. It isn't the first time. It is, however, the first time The Eye falls. My warrior class leader, our main tank, says he wish he was DPS specced, but it should go to our main warrior DPS. Oh, oh wait... That is me. That's me?!? Holy crap balls. There is a chorus of agreement, except for one DPS shaman and one Huntard (who got kicked out for ninja looting some gear in BRS) so......... it goes to me. Holy crap. Holy serious crap. There is one other like it on our server. Could I be number two? Apparently my craft guild had the hammer made a while backs they just needed the Eye. I practically walked out of MC with the Hand of Rag. I turned off my whisper function because people were hounding me so much.

I've got so many more about so many other games. I'll post more later.

Last edited by Trailer Fire; 10-28-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Trailer Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trailer Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Entering Mexico for the first time in Red Dead Redemption.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Since you posted a WoW one...it reminded me of when, after probably a month of attempts, we finally downed Yogg-Saron 25 man. It required an incredible amount of practice and coordination, and it felt so good when it all finally clicked.

On a more recent memory...Journey. So many moments when you would just go "wow", and the emotional climax at the end of the game. Tough to forget something like that.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Playing the first NHL Hockey on Genesis with my friend Shane. So much fun.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

For WOW - was OT for a large 40 raiding guild trying to bring down Onyxia for the first time. MT couldn't hold aggro well enough so I got a shot and made the most of it. Vent was going nuts as we realized when we were going to take her down. Almost forgot to plant and forge Quel'Serrar on that first kill.

BWL was pretty damn cool as well. Raiding has never been the same since the MC/BWL days. Those first kills were awesome fun.

Also - the fun of hitting the gold cap on multiple characters by dominating the Auction House back in the day. They bumped the cap back in 2010 and I plowed through the cap again.

Last edited by chemgear; 10-28-2013 at 07:31 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going on my first Zakum run on Maplestory years ago. Don't know why that's the favorite but I vividly remember it being a Saturday morning, having just become a Dark Knight (Lv 120+) and excitedly eating cereal in my PJs as the parties were preparing.

The time that I dedicated in that game was far too high.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beating Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3.

But #2 was the most satisfying.
(Like most #2's...)

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Entering Mexico for the first time in Red Dead Redemption.
Yeah, a great "cinematic" moment...

Old 10-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

So many WoW nerds just like I was. If you were in a decent raiding guild, there were few games that were that rewarding.

I missed Vanilla WoW raiding, but for the Burning Crusade I went really hard. Was in a top 50 raiding guild and were like 28th-29th on killing illidin. The time I was the most into it was sunwell raid. Every fight in there was so intense, and when we finally downed muru and Kiljaden, I've never felt so happy in a game.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Turbo Tunnel in Battletoads.

Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slacker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Completing original NES Megaman on 1 life.
Completing original NES Contra on 1 life.

But without a doubt, beating Ninja Gaiden on 1 life was the most extreme gaming challenge I ever completed. I hadn't touched that game since about 1990, and in 2011 I played it on a friends old NES. I played that game so much 20 years prior, I still had every single pattern up until the final level memorized, it ended up that ingrained in my brain. It took me 3 lives to beat it 20 years later. And my buddy thought I was the most gigantic nerd ever, and his 3 year old son, thought I was a hero.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two from everquest:

1) First, there were no instances back in the day. If a boss was up, you would race to mobilize your guild and engage the boss. Engaging the boss first meant that that boss was "yours" and you had 1 shot at it - or the other guilds would take it from you. In one of the expansions, there was a ridiculous number of flags (or keys) needed by each member, and killing the bosses dropped these keys. We needed a couple more keys to progress, but so did every other guild on the server. So, we know the bosses spawn every 3 days +/- 18 hours. There's a ton of guilds kind of waiting at the spawn point right at 10am. It just so happens that it doesn't spawn all afternoon, and goes into the evening. It spawns at 3am - and by this time only 20ish people were online, while you need about 50 to kill it. Of course, we had a list of phone numbers and start calling people (random strangers on the internet), and we manage to get 45 people online in 20 minutes, and move on the boss.

It was basically the most ridiculous moment in my entire time of gaming. How people got called by strangers at 3am to wake up to kill a boss just so the guild could progress is something that, a) i'll never forget, b) I'll never do again.

2) Killing TRC. Spent 2 weeks straight on this boss. A kill attempt was ~1 hour. You had to stay focused the entire time. So intense, and just absolute exhilaration when it finally died.

----

It's weird how most of my favorite gaming moments come from MMO's. I remember tons of aces, clutch moments and such in CS and shooters, but I guess it's just cuz these extreme highs are so rare in MMO's, where it's much more common in other games.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Just about anything that's said by EDI or GladOS.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

This!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last of Us spoilers:

Spoiler!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Oooh... when I got my Hearthstone Beta Key.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
Lucifer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Every time I beat the original Super Mario Brothers game. That never gets old!
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

At my buddy Ivan's house, watching Al MacInnis in the first EA NHL game put a slapshot into the face of a defender pretty much set off my gaming nerdishness. Seeing Sonic the Hedgehog later that day pretty much blew my mind.

Most recently, gaining the Platinum in Batman: Arkham City was incredibly fun. I'm actually not usually good at games, but that one I just connected with.

The time my brother was babysitting and he made me clean the basement for a chance to see the "secret game" his friend was bringing over (Super Mario 3 in the gold cartridge).

Hanging out with a buddy for a weekend at a research station in the middle of nowhere near Athabasca eating frozen pizza and building tanks and cannons in Little Big Planet.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Two from everquest:

1) First, there were no instances back in the day. If a boss was up, you would race to mobilize your guild and engage the boss. Engaging the boss first meant that that boss was "yours" and you had 1 shot at it - or the other guilds would take it from you. In one of the expansions, there was a ridiculous number of flags (or keys) needed by each member, and killing the bosses dropped these keys. We needed a couple more keys to progress, but so did every other guild on the server. So, we know the bosses spawn every 3 days +/- 18 hours. There's a ton of guilds kind of waiting at the spawn point right at 10am. It just so happens that it doesn't spawn all afternoon, and goes into the evening. It spawns at 3am - and by this time only 20ish people were online, while you need about 50 to kill it. Of course, we had a list of phone numbers and start calling people (random strangers on the internet), and we manage to get 45 people online in 20 minutes, and move on the boss.

It was basically the most ridiculous moment in my entire time of gaming. How people got called by strangers at 3am to wake up to kill a boss just so the guild could progress is something that, a) i'll never forget, b) I'll never do again.

2) Killing TRC. Spent 2 weeks straight on this boss. A kill attempt was ~1 hour. You had to stay focused the entire time. So intense, and just absolute exhilaration when it finally died.

----

It's weird how most of my favorite gaming moments come from MMO's. I remember tons of aces, clutch moments and such in CS and shooters, but I guess it's just cuz these extreme highs are so rare in MMO's, where it's much more common in other games.
My favorite moments are mostly from EQ as well.

The first ever Avatar of War kill probably being the highlight, but the best part was really just playing EQ with all the guys who worked at Blizzard when WoW was just a twinkle in their eye. I came back to the game and the guild many times over the years and no one really matched that original crew for shear awesome fun.

Epic raids to the original Planes back in the day when it would be a 24-48 hour event just to have a chance of clearing it all. Even better was doing it all again with a friends guild. 5 of us sitting in their basement suit yelling frantically at each other and trying to organize a bunch of people who had no business being there. All of us living of a box of 40 x 59 cent Dairy Queen cheeseburgers and Dilly bars all weekend.

Camping items was boring, but we always turned it into some kind of epic event. I recall one time, camping for the ring for journeyman boots in Ocean of Tears and killing giants as a group for about 60 hours straight. The generated some pretty good coin, and this was in the day when you would just throw copper and silver away since it was worthless. An ultra cheap friend of mine, would grab all that heavy coin and carry it around, unable to move more than the minimum speed. When it came time to leave, he had to get on the boat, but he was so heavy that he fell off the dock and was crushed to death under the weight of the coins, by falling 5 feet.

The most overall fun I had, was working with my sister at developing strategies for new fights. We worked at a meat packing plant at the time, and for 3-4 hours a day we would work together and draw up plans on the walls using cow blood clots.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't enough count the amount of LOL moments playing old school Rainbow 6 with my friends on PC. But I'm pretty sure my favourite moment was when we were playing 4-player co-op. Three of us had died, and were all in view mode. The last one alive wasn't very good at the game. She was crouched behind this crate for about a good 3-5 mins, trying to get a sight line on one guard. Even after so long, she couldn't steady her shot. So she instead tried to go for the grenade. She threw the grenade, but aimed it wrong. It hit the box and landed in front of her. She tried to run, but there was another box in the way and she didn't know how to run around it. When she blew up, we all just fell on the ground laughing.

The other really funny moment I remember was when we were playing that Zelda shooting game on the Wii with that gun attachment. My friend really wanted to play, so we gave her the gun. A hoard of goblins or something started coming at her. She didn't know what do to, so she just freaked out and started screaming and shot all her ammo into the ground in a panicked circle. All you saw on screen was Link spinning and spinning while being eaten alive. Again, we were just howling it was so hilarious.

It seems my best moments involve girls who are bad at video games, trying to play video games lol. 2nd funniest moments are watching Conan O'Brien, who is bad at video games, trying to play video games.