Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2023, 04:01 PM   #21
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Pre-Pelletier I thought that they should alternate stretches with Ricthie and Lucic. They play the same role and both seem to play better after some games off. You don't need both (if you need them at all).

I doubt Ritchie gets in if he was just activated. When he does though, I expect him on the bottom line. Maybe at the expense of Walker D.
100%. him and looch are pretty redundant. you don't need them eating 2 roster spots on an already offensively starved forward group

rotate them into one spot. they'll have more incentive to play better, and we won't suffer as much in terms of lack of skill in the bottom 6
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:07 PM   #22
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I cannot for the life of me fathom why this team plays like absolute dog-crap without Tanev.

They are so fragile without him.
It's because of the lack of depth on D for the Flames during 5 on 5 and while on the PK when Tanev is out. It bumps the minutes up for all other pairs but mostly the 1st and 2nd pairs and while the top pair is usually fine with the extra minutes, the 2nd pair with Zadorov and Weegar isn't (and I like Zadorov more than many). The 3rd pairing of Stone and whoever is a lock to be a bit of a nightmare and thus you have your top 2 pairs getting more tired as the number of games that Tanev is out goes on and then you kind of hold your breath when Stone and x are out there. Stone is a champ but not a guy you'd ideally play every game.

And then for the PK, you lost your beat player on the PK and people shift up again and it's a problem. I'd wager the Flames would look just as bad if say Raz missed significant time. You'd gave Tanev-Hanifin and Zadorov-Weegar eating big minutes with Tanev and Hanifin being fine with it but the same problems would occur.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:35 PM   #23
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does this at least save the Flames some cap?
Old 01-27-2023, 06:42 PM   #24
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tanev was a known band-aid when he signed. Shame things aren't working out for him recently.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:54 PM   #25
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I fear this will trigger Treliving to overpay for a top 4 dman. To me this is a season to ride out without major deals.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I fear this will trigger Treliving to overpay for a top 4 dman. To me this is a season to ride out without major deals.
Travis Hamonic is an impending UFA...

Just sayin'...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just because Tanev is out, it’s no reason for the other defensemen to make the bone headed plays they did last night.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:21 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Just because Tanev is out, it’s no reason for the other defensemen to make the bone headed plays they did last night.
I know Weegar has been getting a lot of minutes in Tanev's absence, but he's been coughing up some beauties right in the slot far too often.

If I were coaching against this Flames defence I'm telling my players to finish every check hard because they are panicking.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:42 PM   #29
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Our blue line depth is thinning and a classic 2nd rounder for a depth rental dman time deal is coming which likely won't pan out. I hope we don't spend the 2nd rounder.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:46 PM   #30
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Travis Hamonic is an impending UFA...

Just sayin'...

edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote