Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2023, 03:41 PM   #41
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if it’s worth starting in Yellowknife so you can hit Nahanni without having to backtrack so much.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:49 PM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We flew into Whitehorse and rented from there. It's just too far unless you have all summer, or don't want to stop and enjoy things. Our trip was a bit over 2 weeks, Whitehorse to Inuvik, then Dawson City, into Chicken Alaska, then back down to the #3 as far as Million Dollar Campground. We originally wanted to go to Haines(Alaska) and catch the ferry to Skagway, but the timing didn't work well, and we were probably short a couple days to do it right.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 03:59 PM   #43
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
We flew into Whitehorse and rented from there. It's just too far unless you have all summer, or don't want to stop and enjoy things. Our trip was a bit over 2 weeks, Whitehorse to Inuvik, then Dawson City, into Chicken Alaska, then back down to the #3 as far as Million Dollar Campground. We originally wanted to go to Haines(Alaska) and catch the ferry to Skagway, but the timing didn't work well, and we were probably short a couple days to do it right.
That was one way I was considering doing it. Ship a bike and gear up to Whitehorse and start from there. I ship cars to whitehorse for $1600-1800 so I figure there's gotta be something close for a motorcycle.

But part of the enjoyment of a motorcycle trip, is the form of travel in itself. And I am sure I could found some great options through Northern BC on the way back. I think part of the challenge would be in convincing my wife and employer to give me the 4-6 weeks I'd want, but with 50 not too far around the corner, I gotta do it sooner than later.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:45 PM   #44
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
That was one way I was considering doing it. Ship a bike and gear up to Whitehorse and start from there. I ship cars to whitehorse for $1600-1800 so I figure there's gotta be something close for a motorcycle.

But part of the enjoyment of a motorcycle trip, is the form of travel in itself. And I am sure I could found some great options through Northern BC on the way back. I think part of the challenge would be in convincing my wife and employer to give me the 4-6 weeks I'd want, but with 50 not too far around the corner, I gotta do it sooner than later.
Oh, you could definitely find some awesome stuff on the way, the problem is it probably adds a week at bare minimum each way(we didn't have the time). Another cool option is to drive to Prince Rupert, then take the car ferry to Haines. Probably not any shorter, but would make a really epic loop.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:56 PM   #45
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lived in Kugluktuk for a couple of years, as a kid. I'd love to take my family up there now. As I recall, not a lot to do in winter. If there are any community festivals going on, attend those. Ice fishing, snowmobile tours, things like that.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:03 PM   #46
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What was you average speed from Dawson to Tuk?

My thought was to just Drive from Calgary doing 16hrs the first day and then go into vacation mode. I was planning to bring a canoe so driving without ferry’s was the initial thought. It depends though if I just want to canoe the Yukon to the end of lake labarge for a few days or paddle on little lates and rivers along the way too.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:11 PM   #47
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What was you average speed from Dawson to Tuk?

My thought was to just Drive from Calgary doing 16hrs the first day and then go into vacation mode.
Yeah, if you're not going to fly into Yellowknife and start from there or something, this is the best way to do it. Get that first day over with

Nice drive overall but Edmonton to the NWT border is a brutal stretch
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:25 PM   #48
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring me back some of those genuine Saskatchewan sealskin bindings.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:02 PM   #49
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some sections were fast, I'd go 100, others really dragged on, more like 60. But I was in that RV in the pics. So 80km/h would be a decent estimate, but there is a ferry crossing to time, and you stop lots, because it is awesome.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:47 PM   #50
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, it's rough! We helped a German couple who had gotten a flat near Eagle Plains, fortunately they weren't far and they have an auto shop there so I helped him get his spare on. I had thought we lucked out, but near the end of the trip around the aptly named "Destruction Bay" our luck ran out. Jacking up a motorhome with glacier wind blasting at you isn't all that much fun! But a minor inconvenience.
Hmm. Follow up - was the flat avoidable or is the road just bad?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:53 PM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Got it in a construction zone, it was actually a paved highway that they were re-paving. A lot of the rock up there is sharp, so I think a flat is not all that uncommon. Some of the roads are gravel over this rock, with it showing through.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:14 AM   #52
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I've been to Tuk a number of times for work, traveling both by air and by winter road. I haven't driven the way on the new all-season road yet, but I've done a little cruise down the highway from Inuvik to check it out.

I'm not sure what your accommodation is like, but if you are expected to cook your own food I highly recommend packing food. The quality of food locally available can be questionable. I always pack my own food when traveling around the north. Sometimes you have to pay extra for the air cargo, but it's worth it and change it to your employer. I remember the last time I was in Sachs Harbour I flew in with a heavy-duty mechanic that tried to buy his groceries locally. I felt bad for him. All the food the store ordered was rotten on arrival. Things will be better in Tuk with the all-season road now, but still, not the highest quality food gets shipped north.

I recommend you be polite and patient with the people that live there and show a genuine interest in their culture and way of life. People work a little slower, but that's okay. Have a coffee, enjoy some conversation and secondhand smoke before you start your day.
All food provided!

And am definitely hoping to take in sone culture and way of life. I will be heading up semi regularly for a while.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #53
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The gravel up north is different than what you’d expect down here. It’s more like shards of rock rather than round water smoothed pebbles that we are used too. You 100% need to be prepared to change a tire if you’re planning on driving and not just a patch, cause it’ll tear a strip right off your tire lol
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shogged For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 02:15 PM   #54
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just happened to come across a news story about food prices rising in the north and they mentioned Kuglugtuk specifically. It's crazy how much things cost there. $11.99 for a jug of milk. $21 for 750 g of Cracker Barrel cheese. $50 for a case of pop. Most of the people there rely on land and sea to provide for them, so groceries are somewhat of a luxury I guess.

Tuktoyuktuk might not be as bad as it is more of a hub town. I'd definitely heed the advice of bringing as much food with you as possible though.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-26-2023 at 04:55 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:17 PM   #55
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I just happened to come across a news story about food prices rising in the north and they mentioned Kuglugtuk specifically. It's crazy how much things cost there. $11.99 for a jug of milk. $21 for 750 g of Cracker Barrel cheese. $50 for a case of pop. Most of the people there rely on land and see to provide for them, so groceries are somewhat of a luxury I guess.

Tuktoyuktuk might not be as bad as it is more of a hub town. I'd definitely heed the advice of bringing as much food with you as possible though.
Tuk and even Inuvik are definitely still as bad, I swear half my pics were just fuel and food prices, haha.

The odd part though, everything else was so much more expensive, but alcohol cost the exact same as here
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:10 PM   #56
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I just happened to come across a news story about food prices rising in the north and they mentioned Kuglugtuk specifically. It's crazy how much things cost there. $11.99 for a jug of milk. $21 for 750 g of Cracker Barrel cheese. $50 for a case of pop. Most of the people there rely on land and see to provide for them, so groceries are somewhat of a luxury I guess.

We were there in the latter part of the 70s. Milk then I think was around $5/jug? I just remember that $5 figure amount but I wasn't the one paying so my memory may be sketchy. It is probably my single worst memory of living in Kugluktuk, that we couldn't afford actual milk and had to drink powdered. Vile stuff. Won't touch it to this day. I'm sure my parents had very different bad memories but I was a kid. Dad hunted with the Inuit and provided a lot of our meat that way. Fished too - to this day, I think Char might be the best tasting fish on the planet. A previous occupant of the house we lived in had built a small greenhouse and with a lot of work, mom and dad were able to grow some veg. Mom baked all our bread, etc.

The best time of the year was when the barge came in. A lot of people then would send money south to family or friends and have major hauls sent up that way, to offset the high prices. It was like Christmas - everyone went down to watch the barge come in and get unloaded.

I'd love to drive to Tuk and then fly into Kugluktuk from there. I think it would be an amazing trip.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #57
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Brrr, it’s cold up here!
Old 01-27-2023, 09:12 PM   #58
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

How cold is it?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:47 PM   #59
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
How cold is it?
-33 currently.

But don’t worry, the sun comes up for 4 hours tomorrow!
Old 01-28-2023, 11:12 PM   #60
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

A quick survey of grocery prices, I’d say that on average, things are about twice as expensive here as back home.