Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2023, 05:08 PM   #321
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
I think they need to create some type of system where you can’t enter any trains, platforms, or C-Train stations without having first paid for a ticket. Some type of robotic gate or swing bar system. I’m not sure how many of these tweekers are actually paying for a ticket (my guess is almost none), but this system might be a way to keep many of them out. If they are going to ride the train all night passes out they better at least pay for it, otherwise they have zero right to be in any of the stations or the trains themselves.
[snip]
Discussion with Calgary transit officials (and transit protection officers) reveals that most of the "tweekers" have a valid ticket (a fare evasion ticket can apparently lead to police warrants)

Thus we could spend millions creating /retro fitting fare barriers but probably won't actually induce much change on the situation.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 05:17 PM   #322
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I dunno. You see people partaking in other vices like smoking or drinking all the time, what's the difference? Should I tattle on the construction worker drinking a beer on the train after work in the summer? I find the odours from vaping and smoking cigarettes or weed more obnoxious than anything the guys using drugs do.
I think you're creating a false equivalence here.

If there's a big group of well dressed youuuuuths hanging out in a bus shelter getting blitzed out of their mind, you're damn straight I'm going to give them a wide berth and be a bit on guard.

The guy drinking a beer on the train is also in an entirely different situation: AKA he has something to lose. If he ends up in jail, it can affect his employability, which can affect his access to shelter, and his ability to support his family.

People that find themselves partaking in severe social disorder usually have absolutely nothing to lose. Their health is in shambles, they are unhoused, unemployed, and estranged from family.

If beer guy on the c-train punches me in the face, his life changes drastically. The habitual meth user taking up residence in the bus shelter? Not so much.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 08:32 PM   #323
Guest1

Was in the Bonavista Safeway today and as we were leaving, the tall skinny Manager guys goes bolting past me with the Meat Dept guy. They catch up to some chick and heated argument starts. Manager guy looked like he was so pissed he was gonna punch her but MDG grabbed his arm and pulled him back. I’m guessing (hoping) it’s policy that they don’t try to apprehend. Then one of the cashiers (Rhonda) follows her out to her car (parked right beside the north door, parallel to the building). Rhonda is filming her and the chick is backing up, I’m guessing to not show her license plate? Rhonda said that they have her on video in the store stealing.
I felt bad that I couldn’t do more, but I had my daughter with me But MAN! I would have loved to take my boot to her windshield… effing crackhead. Even in the #2 community in Bonavista????!!!!! I feel like we should have a “Bat signal” type thing to get all us Bonavistian vigilantes to bust these benzo-bozo’s.
Bonavista Safeway is freaking amazing.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:36 PM   #324
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Was in the Bonavista Safeway today and as we were leaving, the tall skinny Manager guys goes bolting past me with the Meat Dept guy. They catch up to some chick and heated argument starts. Manager guy looked like he was so pissed he was gonna punch her but MDG grabbed his arm and pulled him back. I’m guessing (hoping) it’s policy that they don’t try to apprehend. Then one of the cashiers (Rhonda) follows her out to her car (parked right beside the north door, parallel to the building). Rhonda is filming her and the chick is backing up, I’m guessing to not show her license plate? Rhonda said that they have her on video in the store stealing.
I felt bad that I couldn’t do more, but I had my daughter with me But MAN! I would have loved to take my boot to her windshield… effing crackhead. Even in the #2 community in Bonavista????!!!!! I feel like we should have a “Bat signal” type thing to get all us Bonavistian vigilantes to bust these benzo-bozo’s.
Bonavista Safeway is freaking amazing.
What leads you to believe she was a crackhead?

They're not a demographic notorious for owning and operating motor vehicles.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:48 PM   #325
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

There have been plenty of stories like this for the last year with how inflation has been.

Quote:
Some Canadians are shoplifting high-priced food items from grocery stores as the cost of living continues climbing, with a few even taking to social media to brag.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ca.news...232257562.html

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 09:51 PM   #326
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Remember if you see someone shoplifting food: no you didn’t
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 08:09 AM   #327
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meat theft/ fraud has been a thing for years and years. Source: I’m a butcher by trade and was a Meat Manager with IGA —> Sobeys 20 years ago, and it goes back much further than that. Some good stories, and we were independently owned, so there were no “do not confront” policies, but grocery/ meat theft predates the current issues discussed in this thread.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:12 AM   #328
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no sympathy for that pig Galen Weston or his creep son whos busy raping Canadians.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:12 AM   #329
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Remember if you see someone shoplifting food: no you didn’t
If they're so desperate, they can go to a food bank. Not steal 20 prime ribs to "feed their family".
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 08:16 AM   #330
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah man. Let them eat Kraft Dinner and Deep and Delicious Cake.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:18 AM   #331
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched as a meat worker at Costco put out 15-20 packages of Tenderloin steaks labelled and priced as "Stewing Beef" a while ago. Had to wonder if it was intentional. It was a fraction of the cost.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:19 AM   #332
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Yeah man. Let them eat Kraft Dinner and Deep and Delicious Cake.
Uhm, you do realize the loses incurred from theft are trickled down to the consumers right?
Old 01-28-2023, 08:27 AM   #333
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Uhm, you do realize the loses incurred from theft are trickled down to the consumers right?
Oh god I know. Why else do you think these grocers are making record revenue profits?

I'm with you, I think they should be catching people on horseback with nets and then drag them back to the store. There, they could be placed inside iron maidens or maybe just strung up and hung from the store front as a warning to future hungry people: "not here, not today"
Old 01-28-2023, 08:40 AM   #334
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honest question, because I don't know: is there sufficient support for homeless people in Calgary? Food banks, soup kitchens, whatever they're called - are there so few of these resources that stealing could be the difference between life and death?

If the answer to that is no, I can't imagine too many people are going to be on board with people literally thieving.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:25 AM   #335
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
If they're so desperate, they can go to a food bank. Not steal 20 prime ribs to "feed their family".
The bigger issue with the above situation is actually the store manager needing anger management and the complete idiot that followed the person out of the store. Honestly, it’s shoplifting food. Don’t do it, but if someone is desperate enough to do it, leave them be. Not only because it’s food, but because making a habit of following desperate people out to their cars is a good recipe for getting stabbed or run over.

Quote:
Cool, then instead of donating to the food bank we can just have the cost imbedded into the food. Kind of like getting rid of tipping culture!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 10:35 AM   #336
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t think people stealing meat are doing it because they need food. They need money, and if you doubt that spend 10 minutes at any gas station in Marlborough.

If we’re alright with stealing food, can I steal tools if I need them for work? Or CSA boots? At least those items can be used to get somebody to go to work and earn money to buy food.
Old 01-28-2023, 10:42 AM   #337
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The bigger issue with the above situation is actually the store manager needing anger management and the complete idiot that followed the person out of the store. Honestly, it’s shoplifting food. Don’t do it, but if someone is desperate enough to do it, leave them be. Not only because it’s food, but because making a habit of following desperate people out to their cars is a good recipe for getting stabbed or run over. !
Bolded the catch all reason here. Don’t challenge shop lifters, I don’t understand why anyone would do this. Especially minimum wage employees like we see all the time
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:08 AM   #338
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Cool, then instead of donating to the food bank we can just have the cost imbedded into the food. Kind of like getting rid of tipping culture!
Considering people only tip because of societal norms, I think a "pay-what-you-can" system could work exceptionally well at grocery stores.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #339
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Meat theft/ fraud has been a thing for years and years. Source: I’m a butcher by trade and was a Meat Manager with IGA —> Sobeys 20 years ago, and it goes back much further than that. Some good stories, and we were independently owned, so there were no “do not confront” policies, but grocery/ meat theft predates the current issues discussed in this thread.
Yeah even three years ago I was at shanwnessy Safeway to buy a full tenderloin they had on sale. Figured they were sold out when I didn't see any and asked the meat guy.

He grabbed one out of the back (it was $80, I think) and asked if that was all I needed and then walked me to the till with it. Apologized and said he's been doing that all weekend after multiple thefts leading to losing 12 tenderloins that week.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:43 AM   #340
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I don’t think people stealing meat are doing it because they need food. They need money, and if you doubt that spend 10 minutes at any gas station in Marlborough.

If we’re alright with stealing food, can I steal tools if I need them for work? Or CSA boots? At least those items can be used to get somebody to go to work and earn money to buy food.
I think the point is that stealing is obviously illegal but customers don’t need to play Batman over a steak and employees should probably leave it to the proper authorities who actually have training instead of acting like complete idiots over the theft of something which is not, personally, theirs.

Can you steal? I dunno, give it a shot and report back. Why would anywhere here care whether you steal boots?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: