Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2023, 10:44 AM   #21
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

The Ravens has a system they can plug fields into tomorrow , but I am not convinced that system can win a Super Bowl for the Ravens or Chicago
Do you think the Ravens would be willing to change their system? Given that the AFC already has Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert and Lawrence all being superior passers who are all mobile, is a team that's ultra run heavy going to be able to beat that many teams who will throw the ball effectively?

With better skill position guys I do think Lamar can be an adequate passer. As you note...the Jets would be a team with better talent around him. But he is showing signs of wear, and he doesn't have the arm or size of a young Cam Newton. Newton faded pretty fast after the hits took a toll on him, and I suspect the Ravens are acutely aware of this with their evaluations.

It will be interesting to watch...but this weekend I don't think the Ravens can take down Cinci unless their defence can cause like 3 turnovers and get at least one defensive score. But their defence can do that....I just don't think they can win multiple games with that formula.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:14 AM   #22
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I forget how to embed tweets, but NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reporting that the NFL just announced if the Chiefs and Bills meet in the AFCCG, the game will be played at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.

Because that's the setting you want in January for a huge playoff game between 2 cold weather teams... Go Bengals, save us from this abomination.
The correct answer, to save us from this abomination, is go Titans/Chargers. That aside, I'm a huge Bills fan but would not mind seeing Cincy advance against them, because the league screwed them hard. As long as whomever does advance beats the Chiefs, and I'm pretty sure both would, I'm good with that.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:28 AM   #23
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I forget how to embed tweets, but NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reporting that the NFL just announced if the Chiefs and Bills meet in the AFCCG, the game will be played at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.

Because that's the setting you want in January for a huge playoff game between 2 cold weather teams... Go Bengals, save us from this abomination.
They might be from cold weather climates, but I wouldn't really call them "cold weather teams" in the traditional sense. Those offenses are built for shootouts and, indoors, would probably be a super entertaining game.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 02:40 PM   #24
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Do you think the Ravens would be willing to change their system? Given that the AFC already has Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert and Lawrence all being superior passers who are all mobile, is a team that's ultra run heavy going to be able to beat that many teams who will throw the ball effectively?
They could shift away this offseason slightly if they choose. Their cap situation is finally in a good spot.

Trade Lamar for picks, trade some of those picks for Hopkins, trade for Carr (I assume the ask is pretty low to take the hit off LV books?), and draft a WR in the first or 2nd round

Now your skilled positions are Carr, Hopkins, Andrews, Bateman, WR2/3 drafted, and Dobbins. Probably draft another RB in R3/4?

Paired with the D can that team compete? Maybe? I'm not down on Carr as much as most, and the Ravens have shown they can win superbowls with average QB's who get hot (Or even just Dilfer)

Oh, and find an O co-ordinator who can draw up a passing play
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:38 PM   #25
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Lamar is officially out https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...huntley-throws

Bengals-Bills next week is as close to a lock as there is
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 10:29 PM   #26
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
They could shift away this offseason slightly if they choose. Their cap situation is finally in a good spot.

Trade Lamar for picks, trade some of those picks for Hopkins, trade for Carr (I assume the ask is pretty low to take the hit off LV books?), and draft a WR in the first or 2nd round

Now your skilled positions are Carr, Hopkins, Andrews, Bateman, WR2/3 drafted, and Dobbins. Probably draft another RB in R3/4?

Paired with the D can that team compete? Maybe? I'm not down on Carr as much as most, and the Ravens have shown they can win superbowls with average QB's who get hot (Or even just Dilfer)

Oh, and find an O co-ordinator who can draw up a passing play
The Ravens have been a well run franchise for close to 25 years. Will be interesting to see what they do. They have an offence that's highly customized to suit Lamar Jackson. But there's only one Lamar Jackson and it doesn't really work for the backups they have. Maybe they do move towards a more conventional offence that's a bit more versatile for QB's.

Based on Lamar's tweets he's not playing this week. If Carr is the guy would they work out a deal, or wait for the Raiders to cut him.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:37 PM   #27
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The Ravens have been a well run franchise for close to 25 years. Will be interesting to see what they do. They have an offence that's highly customized to suit Lamar Jackson. But there's only one Lamar Jackson and it doesn't really work for the backups they have. Maybe they do move towards a more conventional offence that's a bit more versatile for QB's.

Based on Lamar's tweets he's not playing this week. If Carr is the guy would they work out a deal, or wait for the Raiders to cut him.
The benefit to trading for carr is his deal is super team friendly

It's basically 3 more 1 year deals in a row, guaranteed money only vests before each season, why raiders need to decide before feb 15th cause his 2023 contract vests that day.

The next 2 years are the same, so it gives a team a lot more leverage when they do give carr a new contract, if they even do this offseason, they could wait a year etc.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:55 AM   #28
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carr holds all the leverage in this situation with a no-trade clause. Even if the Colts, or whoever, offered a package he can just say no, so he holds pretty much all the leverage here. The Raiders have to either trade him or cut him within the first three days of the league year or his guarantees vest and they eat the full cap hit for next year. So with teams well aware of that, they could simply tamper with him to tell him to refuse any trade, and they'll just sign him when the Raiders have to cut him. If there is a trade it'll probably be a mid-round pick.

It's also why Rodgers holds pretty much all the leverage in any potential trade for him. He's owed $60 million guaranteed next year, so it would be pretty hard to imagine a team acquiring him without agreeing to a new deal to lower that, which acts as a quasi no-trade clause because he can simply refuse to change his contract with his new team if he doesn't want to be there. And there's also that very real possibility that the Packers don't even want to trade him. NFC still figures to stink next year, they might just take another shot with him instead of Love.

The Ravens actually have an interesting hand to play with Lamar, which is the non-exclusive tag. Let him go to market, but still be able to re-sign him or take two firsts for him. I think, even in today's QB desperate world, that no one is gonna offer Lamar a fully guaranteed contract for $250 million. EE said it best, but he's too risky from an injury perspective. So if someone else makes him an offer comparable to the Ravens last offer they have the option to take it, or let him walk for the picks.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:03 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I like the idea of the non-exclusive tag for him. The guy hasn't been able to finish the last two seasons so if some team wants to give him all that guaranteed money then just take the picks and move on as it's not like Jackson was having a great season before the injuries. Availability matters as a starting QB is no good on the sidelines especially when his massive cap hit cuts into being able to fill out other positions. The Ravens are a very well run team and can probably make it work with a tier 2 QB like Carr, Garoppolo, etc as they were always competitive with Flacco who had more playoff success than Jackson.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-13-2023 at 10:06 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:06 AM   #30
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also have to think Trey Lance will be on the trade block if Purdy doesn't fall on his face in the playoffs. Niners' Super Bowl window stays open much longer with Purdy on a 7th-round pick salary for the next feew years.

Not sure Lance is worth more than a second-round pick at this point, but could see a team like the Commanders take a chance on him.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2023, 11:25 AM   #31
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
They might be from cold weather climates, but I wouldn't really call them "cold weather teams" in the traditional sense. Those offenses are built for shootouts and, indoors, would probably be a super entertaining game.
Yeah true, the indoor climate should make for a more explosive game on the scoreboard, especially with those offences. I guess I'm a traditionalist, I love that cold, wintery setting for a big playoff game (not with insane weather where it makes it 6-3, but just the winter vibe). It adds to the moment for me.

Also holding it in a neutral site eliminates that crazy, jacked up home crowd. This move just completely changes the atmosphere of the game. I certainly get the reasoning for it, but I'm really hoping this gets avoided. Go Bengals
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:33 AM   #32
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Mike Williams is out for the Chargers. I guess you can argue that he could have suffered the same injury one play into this game had he not played last week. But Stsley will have a few questions to answer if they lose.

Chargers have the better talent, but two QB's in their first playoff game....I think I back the better coach who is Peterson.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:45 PM   #33
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

My predications for the weekend.

Seahawks at 49ers
Chargers at Jaguars

Dolphins at Bills
Giants at Vikings
Ravens at Bengals

Cowboys at Buccaneers
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:02 PM   #34
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Also have to think Trey Lance will be on the trade block if Purdy doesn't fall on his face in the playoffs. Niners' Super Bowl window stays open much longer with Purdy on a 7th-round pick salary for the next feew years.

Not sure Lance is worth more than a second-round pick at this point, but could see a team like the Commanders take a chance on him.
Why would the Niners trade Lance when they can have him behind Purdy on the cheap?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:37 PM   #35
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Why would the Niners trade Lance when they can have him behind Purdy on the cheap?
They can still get some value for him, and it might be a bit of a distraction if he's still there. As a top 5 pick he's not that cheap. He might also ask for a trade if he's not the starter too knowing that every year he doesn't start potentially hurts his value. Sometimes it's better to establish a clear order where all players are willing to play the role they're assigned.

If Purdy struggles and it's an open competition for the job at camp I don't think anything happens. But if Purdy has a strong playoff where he can reasonably expect to be the starter, I think Lance could be in play.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:50 PM   #36
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
My predications for the weekend.

Seahawks at 49ers
Chargers at Jaguars

Dolphins at Bills
Giants at Vikings
Ravens at Bengals

Cowboys at Buccaneers
Seahawks because I have to. Playing with house money, nothing to lose after backing into the playoffs this past 6 weeks. Weather may even the playing field. Rookie QBs in playoffs don’t have great records, Seahawks had it a one possession game last meeting. Line was Seattle +9.5 and at very least I’d take that if I was a gambling guy.
Or, they never get in gear and lose 30-10.

Chargers will just get by the Jags.

Bills maybe in a tighter score game then they’d want.

Vikings will find a bad way to lose and their comeback close victory luck will run out these playoffs but not this weekend.

Jackson basically quitting on his team because of a sore knee and mainly because he wants to get overpaid by someone this offseason, sinks Ravens morale. Bengals by a lot.

Cowboys like the Vikings will find a bad way to lose, but again, not this week, and win pretty easily over TB and TB. The post game Brady cam will be over the top.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:20 PM   #37
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### Cincinnati! They have the softest, most whiniest, crybabies in the NFL. The fans fell into that category too.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2023, 12:16 AM   #38
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a feeling Ravens will give Cincy a scare . Ravens only
Lost by 10 playing their 3rd string QB, all backups and having 4 turnovers accounting for basically all of Cincys pts

Can they win ? I’m not sure they can score 17pt! But i think it will be a game into the 4th (a painful game to watch )
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:24 AM   #39
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Amen Ogbongbemiga and Deane Leonard on the Chargers are from Calgary. They were both teammates at Notre Dame and Deane Leonard played for the Dinos.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:06 AM   #40
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Niners
Chargers
Bills
Vikings
Bengals
Cowboys