Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2023, 12:48 PM   #5681
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sound mixing on any film or television series post-2010. Everything is mixed for major sound systems, and because of that they can ruin a home viewing experience unless you have an expensive set-up.

Getting tired of struggling to hear dialogue then having my head caved in during a loud action sequence, during which the bass drowns out said dialogue.

Closed captioning/subtitles at pre-40 doesn't exactly enhance the experience, either.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:26 PM   #5682
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Sound mixing on any film or television series post-2010. Everything is mixed for major sound systems, and because of that they can ruin a home viewing experience unless you have an expensive set-up.

Getting tired of struggling to hear dialogue then having my head caved in during a loud action sequence, during which the bass drowns out said dialogue.

Closed captioning/subtitles at pre-40 doesn't exactly enhance the experience, either.
I hadn't really put any thought into it and didn't realize wtf was going on... That makes so much sense now.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:33 PM   #5683
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It is especially annoying given the prevalence of open concept housing. Constantly turning the volume up and down during loud parts because someone is in the kitchen or reading in another room
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 01:45 PM   #5684
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Maybe not universal but my receiver allows me to control the dynamic range. I used to turn it off but now I keep it at med or max pretty much all the time now because of this issue.

Keeps the loud parts and quiet parts equal volume. And I usually adjust my centre speaker up too for good measure.

Even with a home theatre set up I find it annoying. I’m not always in a position to watch movies at theatre volume to hear dialogue.

But if you’re watching with only tv audio it’s pretty much hopeless.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:58 PM   #5685
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I have a friend with cats and I'm tempted to replace their birthday gift one year to buy an enclosed litter box that looks like a fancy side table as a birthday gift to them one day or whatever. Fataing gross wandering past an exposed cat litter box every time I use the washroom when I go to their place.
Ask your friend, first. Some cats won't use an enclosed box.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:59 PM   #5686
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yup. This is especially a pita during the winter months when you have to figure the furnace on in the background, too.

I've given up and just use subtitles now. So much nicer to not be constantly fata'ing with the volume
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:24 PM   #5687
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

one of suppliers is raising their prices 10% starting february 1 so i decided to stock up on a bunch of stuff today.

i order everything thru their webpage and when it go to checkout it says that my order exceeds the weight limit and i need to call in to get a freight quote.

before i did that i went back and broke my big order up into 7 smaller orders and the total for shipping was $198 (that might sound like a lot, but honestly, these are rolls of poly twill - the stuff used to make numbers on hockey jerseys - the rolls are 51" tall and 75 yards long and weigh about 50lbs each)

i then called in and got my freight quote for an all in one shipment - $405!! more than double!!! just ridiculous. i told the customer service guy the cost if i just do seven smaller orders and he agreed that i definitely go that route.

i guess my gear grinder is that shipping should cost LESS if i do one big order as opposed to 7 smaller orders of the exact same stuff!
Old 01-27-2023, 02:38 PM   #5688
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I recently watched a movie at home with extended family and they asked if the captions could be turned off because they weren't used to it and found it distracting. it was then that I realized I've had captions on for everything for so long, I actually find it weird when they are not on. but I'm happy to keep on doing that because I almost never have to rewind to catch something.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:40 PM   #5689
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Maybe not universal but my receiver allows me to control the dynamic range. I used to turn it off but now I keep it at med or max pretty much all the time now because of this issue.

Keeps the loud parts and quiet parts equal volume. And I usually adjust my centre speaker up too for good measure.

Even with a home theatre set up I find it annoying. I’m not always in a position to watch movies at theatre volume to hear dialogue.

But if you’re watching with only tv audio it’s pretty much hopeless.
I think receivers it's so easy to mess up the mix if you don't know what you're doing which is kinda annoying. For some of these "issues" I find that many people would actually benefit from just doing some form of a surround sound headphone set up at 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.

They're typically relatively inexpensive for a good to great experience at about $50-250 bucks ish, and depending on some set ups, they're already mostly set up. Most headphone outputs aren't all weirdly messed up once they're ready to go. Plus headphones can isolate the noise to not bother other people/open headphones can be acquired so you're not drowned out of house sounds either.

I personally plug in headphones into my receiver's headphone jack and it works swimmingly. There's wireless Bluetooth headphones or using a wireless headphone plugged into a TV/console as an alternate/duplicated sound option as well. For the PS5 (but not PS4) I can also plug headphones directly into the controller and get great sound with very little messing around.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:12 PM   #5690
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I recently watched a movie at home with extended family and they asked if the captions could be turned off because they weren't used to it and found it distracting. it was then that I realized I've had captions on for everything for so long, I actually find it weird when they are not on. but I'm happy to keep on doing that because I almost never have to rewind to catch something.
It’s interesting watching some foreign language shows that are dubbed/subbed into English and the English sub titles tell a slightly different story.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 08:27 PM   #5691
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
You're a monster.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 09:47 PM   #5692
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

The worst is shows that have their own captions that overlap closed captioning.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 10:07 PM   #5693
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I've tried doing that here, but stopped because I think it was just sending the wrong message. More often than not I just got a snarky response from the server/bartender, my guess is they assume you're hitting on them and are actually asking them to come sit with you and drink
I think I may have figured out the problem...did you give an exaggerated wink and "accidentally" drop a magnum condom out of your wallet as you paid? Because I get the exact same snarky responses you describe nearly every single time I pull that move...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:14 PM   #5694
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I think I may have figured out the problem...did you give an exaggerated wink and "accidentally" drop a magnum condom out of your wallet as you paid? Because I get the exact same snarky responses you describe nearly every single time I pull that move...
Old 01-28-2023, 11:09 AM   #5695
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
It’s interesting watching some foreign language shows that are dubbed/subbed into English and the English sub titles tell a slightly different story.
Sometimes the dubbing and sub-titles are really different.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:23 AM   #5696
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

When there is a foreign language being translated into English text on the movie, for example guy speaking in Mandarin, and in the movie itself it's translated to "Hello, nice to see you again", the closed captioning added after doesn't need to add "Speaking in Foreign Language".

Sometimes they do it correctly, other times it looks like it is captioned by robots and not double-checked after.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:44 PM   #5697
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I realized I was a day or two behind the tipping discussion, but these are also highly relevant to the tipping discussion:

powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:06 PM   #5698
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surround sound is the default setting a lot of the time now. If you're not using surround sound, go into the sound settings in Netflix or whatever service and set it to stereo. Problem solved.

Putting 6-8 channels of audio designed for 6-8 speakers down two doesn't make sense.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:22 PM   #5699
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There is one in every group, always.

When taking a course, class or seminar there is always that one person who has a bit of experience in that area and cannot contain themselves. They ask obvious leading questions just to interject and volunteer a piece of information they possess. The instructor will tell a quick story to aid in making a point, they must chime in with a story of their own. Some of the more shameless perpetrators basically crowbar their resume into the conversation.

They like to set themselves apart from the class, "you might all be here to learn but I already am very experienced and therefore must ask more advanced questions". Just basically being an annoying know-it-all who loves to talk, be quiet and let the instructor do their job.

I hate these people. Shut yer f'ing hole.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 08:39 PM   #5700
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

####ing everything feels like it’s worse. Like everything is just some ####tier version of what was.