Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2022, 11:42 PM   #41
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bit early for this conversation, but tanking is the right path forward. The way this league goes, we know the structure of Stanley Cup Champions.

Flames don't have the roster to do it, and can't reasonably build it with the tools available to them. There's only one way to build that roster.

...if you don't want to do it, then the futility will continue. This series against the Oilers showed what that top end draft talent does when things boil down to small sample sizes. Big game players that come from the top of the draft make the difference. Tanking/drafting top-3 doesn't guarantee anything, but not tanking/drafting top-3 does guarantee you won't win a Stanley Cup.

I think this years Flames team is legitimately the absolute best we could ask for. Management, coaching, talent - they all executed incredibly well - but it's not enough to overcome the lack of that foundation that only gets built while drafting top-3.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-26-2022 at 11:44 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 11:44 PM   #42
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
A bit early for this conversation, but tanking is the right path forward. The way this league goes, we know the structure of Stanley Cup Champions.

Flames don't have the roster to do it, and can't reasonably build it with the tools available to them. There's only one way to build that roster.

...if you don't want to do it, then the futility will continue. This series against the Oilers showed what that top end draft talent does when things boil down to small sample sizes. Big game players that come from the top of the draft make the difference. Tanking/drafting top-3 doesn't guarantee anything, but not tanking/drafting top-3 does guarantee you won't win a Stanley Cup.
I’d rather lose to the Oilers than cheer for the Oilers. But do you.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:45 PM   #43
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
...huh? I don't cheer for the Oilers. Never will. Disgusting concept.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 11:48 PM   #44
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
...huh? I don't cheer for the Oilers. Never will. Disgusting concept.
Sure you do, if you want the Flames to take the same path they took. If you’ll cheer for losses, the jersey doesn’t really mean anything special.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:50 PM   #45
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Flames are basically the Wild. Should have started the rebuild 2 years ago.
No cap jail however.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:55 PM   #46
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Classic Holier-than-thou nonsense.

Every Oilers fan in the province is cheering for the Oilers tonight and having a great time, decade of tank and all.

But you're better than them.

You're proud of losing to them

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:58 PM   #47
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

christ almighty

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:01 AM   #48
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My personal opinion is that you need to draft generational talent for a franchise like the Flames to have any hope at a cup, since we aren't the most desirable city to play in. The oilers are in butt **** nowhere without McDavid. I would look to move Tkachuk for sure if you can get a haul, minus that I need a couple sleeps to really give my opinion on everything else.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:02 AM   #49
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We weren’t supposed to make the playoffs, won the division and were in the 2nd round. Our best players had career years and are in their primes. Our coach established a winning culture and system.

You tweak that, not blow it up. Get a clue.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 12:06 AM   #50
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I think this years Flames team is legitimately the absolute best we could ask for. Management, coaching, talent - they all executed incredibly well - but it's not enough to overcome the lack of that foundation that only gets built while drafting top-3.
Definitely too early for this thread. But I share the sentiment of this post. We lack the horses to go deep in the playoffs within our core.

The strange benefit of this painful BOA series is that I am now very prepared to accept whatever comes regarding Gaudreau and Tkachuk over the summer. Neither demonstrated to me they could come close to matching their counterparts in the ring. Tre should have his maximum he will sign them for and not exceed it.

The Flames then adjust accordingly.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:07 AM   #51
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamescuprun2018 View Post
Definitely too early for this thread. But I share the sentiment of this post. We lack the horses to go deep in the playoffs within our core.

The strange benefit of this painful BOA series is that I am now very prepared to accept whatever comes regarding Gaudreau and Tkachuk over the summer. Neither demonstrated to me they could come close to matching their counterparts in the ring. Tre should have his maximum he will sign them for and not exceed it.

The Flames then adjust accordingly.
I do think it's unfortunate for Gaudreau and Tkachuk to be compared to what McDavid and Draisaitl are doing right now because it has rarely been seen in NHL history. That's a high bar and you need to be careful.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 12:10 AM   #52
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL have the Flames ever tanked properly in their franchise existence? They missed the boat twice and looked what happened in this series? Even if you tank now, you still have the Sabres and Coyotes to contend with in the lottery draft! With the Flames luck, maybe they get to pick 3rd overall even if they tank below the lowest of teams. Keep dreaming!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:11 AM   #53
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Classic Holier-than-thou nonsense.

Every Oilers fan in the province is cheering for the Oilers tonight and having a great time, decade of tank and all.

But you're better than them.

You're proud of losing to them
If you’re that jealous of them go cheer for the same team, then. I’m not better than they are (well, they’re Oilers fans, so I might be), I’m sure there are plenty of Oiler fans who hated the tank. I’m sure they’re all loving this result though. As they should, that’s their team. You can go cheer for the Avalanche if you’d rather, or uhhh Arizona? Are they tanking? I don’t know what they’re doing.

I wouldn’t say I’m proud of losing to them, because it’s just the Oilers, but I enjoyed watching the Flames try to overcome McDavid. That top line was deadly, but I liked the adjustments, and they made it close in games 4 and 5. I had fun watching a team actually give a #### even as they lost, crazy, I know.

If you can’t enjoy hockey unless you’re cheering for a cup winner, go cheer for a cup winner. It’s a lot easier. If you’d rather cheer for a team purposely mailing it in for years just because there might be a chance at a cup at the end of it, fill your boots, but it’s not for me. I just think it’s kind of lame.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2022, 12:13 AM   #54
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pretty compelling argument. I always hated the idea of tanking but the results seem to show it as the most effective way to be a contender in the NHL

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:14 AM   #55
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you’re that jealous of them go cheer for the same team, then…

Man, I was at the Dome for every game this playoffs - and made it to well north of 30 regular season games. I was in the moment and enjoying every damn bit of it.

I cheer for the Flames. Have since I became a hockey fan as a young lad, but when the season ends - and it has - it’s fair to critique them. Especially when they have had such little success.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:15 AM   #56
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you’re that jealous of them go cheer for the same team, then. I’m not better than they are (well, they’re Oilers fans, so I might be), I’m sure there are plenty of Oiler fans who hated the tank. I’m sure they’re all loving this result though. As they should, that’s their team. You can go cheer for the Avalanche if you’d rather, or uhhh Arizona? Are they tanking? I don’t know what they’re doing.

I wouldn’t say I’m proud of losing to them, because it’s just the Oilers, but I enjoyed watching the Flames try to overcome McDavid. That top line was deadly, but I liked the adjustments, and they made it close in games 4 and 5. I had fun watching a team actually give a #### even as they lost, crazy, I know.

If you can’t enjoy hockey unless you’re cheering for a cup winner, go cheer for a cup winner. It’s a lot easier. If you’d rather cheer for a team purposely mailing it in for years just because there might be a chance at a cup at the end of it, fill your boots, but it’s not for me. I just think it’s kind of lame.
I don't really understand your point. Is anyone in this thread questioning the Flames as their team of choice?

We simply want to see this team acquire elite talent. When you look at the teams remaining in the playoffs, you see the talent they have, they acquired a big chunk of it by drafting high.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:16 AM   #57
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I do think it's unfortunate for Gaudreau and Tkachuk to be compared to what McDavid and Draisaitl are doing right now because it has rarely been seen in NHL history. That's a high bar and you need to be careful.
Gaudreau and Tkachuk have stats like Kucherov and Stamkos right now...those guys also have some support including on the backend and in goal currently
Old 05-27-2022, 12:18 AM   #58
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
We weren’t supposed to make the playoffs, won the division and were in the 2nd round. Our best players had career years and are in their primes. Our coach established a winning culture and system.

You tweak that, not blow it up. Get a clue.
A lot of those players having career years were also in contract seasons, who are FA's right now.

If we lose Johnny, Mang, etc our roster looks pretty rough. Not to mention half our D may walk.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:18 AM   #59
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we lose Gaudreau to free agency and trade Tkachuk before the qualifying offer there are still massive things that need to happen for us to be a lottery team including Trading Markstrom.

I can't see all 3 happening therefore, there won't be a tank for Bedard.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:21 AM   #60
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatLandFlamesFan View Post
FFS have some pride we don't tank
Part of me kept saying this for the last 10-12 years:

Flames could’ve had both McD and Drai. Who did we get? Don’t forget that Oilers abused that draft system. It no longer works!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote